Update:

FB: Stewart Weitering Blakey
HB: Houston Taylor Whitfield

C: Anderson Heeney Gulden
FOL: Gawn Merrett Serong

HF: Bontempelli J.Cameron Miers
FF: Greene Hogan Curnow

IC: Rowell Cripps Green Rozee

Vlastuin, McGrath, N.Daicos, McKay, Stengle, Pearce, Ryan, J.McGovern, Yeo and Petracca could just as easily be in. I'm not as harsh on players missing 1-2 games as others (it's different if they end up missing 7 by end of year, but benefit of doubt until then). 2 poor games is a bigger mark against.

The inside mids have been outstanding but maybe I have too many that are not amazing ball users/decision makers in the side and one or two could make way. Plenty of class on the wings, plus Heeney and Merrett, balances that out a bit.
I can understand Petracca slipping out after the last 2 weeks were a bit quieter, but he's the no.1 goal assist player in the competition and no.2 for score involvements behind only Heeney.

I like mids that effect the scoreboard. I suppose it depends on what you value.

And he's still good for contested possessions, clearances, etc.

That said, it's a fair call.

I can understand Petracca slipping out after the last 2 weeks were a bit quieter, but he's the no.1 goal assist player in the competition and no.2 for score involvements behind only Heeney.

I like mids that effect the scoreboard. I suppose it depends on what you value.

And he's still good for contested possessions, clearances, etc.

That said, it's a fair call.
True, nah this is the first time (I think) Petracca has been out of my rolling team for years and it doesn't feel right for the reasons you stated as overall he's still been a score impact machine as a mid (like Bontempelli). This season it's been more of a case where his stats have remained excellent but he hasn't seemed as influential, if that makes sense. Moreso the last few weeks. But his very lowest impact is still very, very good. It's more a case of many other mids being deeply impressive. But I would just as happily have him in for most of them too and one more coaches votes game probably gets him doing just that.

Maybe a victim of setting his own impossibly high standards.

So can you explain how Nat Fyfe was the 2019 captain given Fremantle finished 13th?
Or Buddy in 2018 given Sydney were out first week of final?

It's not always going to be as straight forward as the best performing teams.

The original post I quoted is questioning Merrett being in the conversation and that's what I was talking about. As if Merrett wouldn't be in the conversation at this stage. He's been far better than Greene and Rozee over 7 games. Gawn has been great but Merrett has also been great. It's not controversial for him to be ahead of Gawn and vice versa. Score 1 point last week and Essendon has the same wins as Melbourne.
Sure. Fyfe was brownlow medalist, and was about to win his second, after returning from injury, they love that s**t.

Buddy got it for services rendered to the game, a bit like Rance when he was captain.

The point is that they just make it up with regards to the captain. It's either a popular team captian or some all timer player. Not sure Merret falls into either category. Certainly won't make it over Gawn if that's a choice for the selectors (note: this is predicated on Essendon not going on a massive tear and winning the minor premiership with Merrett streeting the AFLCA/Brownlow).

So can you explain how Nat Fyfe was the 2019 captain given Fremantle finished 13th?
Or Buddy in 2018 given Sydney were out first week of final?

It's not always going to be as straight forward as the best performing teams.

The original post I quoted is questioning Merrett being in the conversation and that's what I was talking about. As if Merrett wouldn't be in the conversation at this stage. He's been far better than Greene and Rozee over 7 games. Gawn has been great but Merrett has also been great. It's not controversial for him to be ahead of Gawn and vice versa. Score 1 point last week and Essendon has the same wins as Melbourne.
You want Merret playing small forward ahead of Greene? Ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Walsh has been the best mid in the last 3 weeks
Harry McKay has been well ahead of Charlie this year

Aaron Naughton on 21 (14/7)
Jack Higgins 20 (13/7) Jake Riccardi (13/7)
If a player gets it to another player and he kicks a goal then it’s an assist. But if he kicks a point it’s not. So it’s reliant on the accuracy of the next guy. Is that how it works? Kind of makes assists a little funky as the give off is identical but your assist numbers are reliant on others.

If a player gets it to another player and he kicks a goal then it’s an assist. But if he kicks a point it’s not. So it’s reliant on the accuracy of the next guy. Is that how it works? Kind of makes assists a little funky as the give off is identical but your assist numbers are reliant on others.

It does but as accuracy will generally not fluctuate TOO much across most clubs, it tends to even out in the end to a degree provided the player in question doesn’t just keep kicking it to the one guy in his team who is just a totally ridiculously awful shot

If you go off statistics, which is really the only antidote to bias, Cameron is the only Geelong player who is a lock for team. Kinda weird state of affairs given we have yet to drop one. Do we have the best worst players in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back