Senior 23. Jacob Weitering

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Jacob!

An intercept marking, accurate kicking, high endurance KPD general who has captain written all over him - just what we need!
Expectations are huge and luckily it appears the kid has his head screwed on.
Let's hope he doesn't read about us drooling over him and knuckles down, we need him ready for Rd1.

Really pleased the Blues have taken their medicine and got something valuable out of this year.

So, when does he start training?!

I heard the new draftees start training on Friday.

I expect weitering will intercept them at the airport, mark everything in sight as received, organising the draftees, telling them where to go.

He'll make sure they all drive to the club, forward. He is expected to sit in the back, but could be as comfortable in the front. Will definitely be giving the cab driver directions, who will note he seems very geographically assured for a 17yo.

He will also do anything else that makes this atrocious analogy continue...

He may not end up being the best player in the draft, and he may not even be a star, but he was clearly the best bet in the pool and basically nobody disagreed.

Barring major disaster (career-limiting injury) I feel Weitering falls on this scale:

Ted Richards (doesn't meet expectations)...............Harry Taylor (realistic projection)............... Matthew Pavlich (best case scenario)

I'd be happy with Harry, we'd live with Teddy (250 games as the rock a defence is built around is not to be sneezed at), and maybe, just maybe, Weitering has 300-game, captain, club legend potential like a Pav.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

welcome Jacob (& your mum;))
what else is there to say......#1 in so many areas.
if uve watched him dont be scared by downplaying how good this kid is.....hes already better than half the defenders playing AFL!!

And justified. They are very similar. Taylor a bit more competent up forward though.

Through opportunity?

Would seem Weitering could be a gun at either end.

Watched only a couple of finals games with Weitering and ........................... you can just tell.
Weitering is a terrific user...reads the play well...great mark....etc etc.

What I liked about him in particular though, was the stuff he was doing whilst the ball was at the other end of the ground.
He just didn't stop.......physically harassing his and others' opponents.......verbally harassing opponents. Weitering just got into the head of his man. You can tell when a nervous smile comes about......moving constantly and dragging the forwards down the ground with him.

He's just a very smart player that clearly garnered respect from his team-mates but also his opponents.

He's best suited down back which is where he has played for the majority of the year.
Only seen him play forward once and he looked a little lost.

Just going off some media gurus and the club who said he could play both ends. Would like to think he can swing forward like SOS used to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back