Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

I was a few days away from throwing my 'Harper to win the Norm Smith' ticket into the bin, but it looks like ill be keeping her in the wallet for a little while longer.

LOL, I seem to recall starting a thread along the lines of "Keiran Harper will kick the winning goal of the 2013 Grand Final", so yeah I'm on the KH for NS bus.

I also have my annual Wells Brownlow bet at the start of each season. It's gotten to the point where I walk into the TAB, the seller asks "same again, sir?" and when I slur "Yesssss", he responds with "don't you think you've had enough?".

Just started watching Harper highlights reels on Youtube, had to turn it off, hurts too much. He could have been our Gray :cry:

Yeah.........but really nah.

Showed impressive glimpses sure and hope he can forge an AFL career, but settle down.

Would rather have Harper test himself at AFL level for the first time in a long time over Atley who only got a slap on the wrist and is back already after being poor for all of this season.

Spoke to his dad Roger last week while I was touring the Carribean following the Aussies. I introduced him to 9 of my mates as I had a few spare tickets for the 2nd Test, but I didn't think of them so they just ended up not being used. I recall Roger not being happy about being a designated 12th man during his calcium days, and it seems his son is experiencing the same misfortune which left him feeling somewhat melancholy.

Harper is talented no doubt.

To compare to Gray is very insulting to the near second Brownlow favourite.

Harper showed positive signs. But that's all it was and he was dropped before injuries struck.

Gray was near second Brownlow favorite at age 20?

Gray was near second Brownlow favorite at age 20?

Obviously not.

Harper will be lucky to make it at AFL level (and I hope he does as he has talent) let alone comparing to the very best players in the competition.

Last edited:
Obviously not.

Harper will be lucky to make it at AFL level (and I hope he does as he has talent) let alone comparing to the very best players in the competition.

Holy s**t....did you just express a negative opinion about one of our players?

Never thought I'd see that happen :eek:

Obviously not.

You forget that Gray was almost shipped off (rumours of port willing to listen to trades) because his body kept continually breaking down. Prior to 2014, he was a high half-forward averaging around 15 disposals a game. He got his body right, increased his fitness and he exploded.

I'm not saying Harper is the next Gray, but Gray didn't hit his stride until he was 25. Before then he was a quick and flashy player with a lot of promise.

upload_2015-6-20_10-49-5.png

I'd really like to see his stats compared to his non north listed teammates. When : prayinghandsthingy: he's towelling them up bring him in.

Difference being Harps has never averaged more than Gray's lowest season average.

Gray's worst season in terms of average possessions was his first at 10.4 a game.

Harp's best season in terms of average possessions was his first at 9.9 a game.

LOL, I seem to recall starting a thread along the lines of "Keiran Harper will kick the winning goal of the 2013 Grand Final", so yeah I'm on the KH for NS bus.

I aleso have my annual Wells Brownlow bet at the start of each season. It's gotten to the point where I walk into the TAB, the seller asks "same again, sir?" and when I slur "Yesssss", he responds with "don't you think you've had enough?".
Haha me too, I've been doing the same for the past 10 yrs.

Should have bought some shares instead ;)

Difference being Harps has never averaged more than Gray's lowest season average.

Gray's worst season in terms of average possessions was his first at 10.4 a game.

Harp's best season in terms of average possessions was his first at 9.9 a game.
Yes, if you want to get technical. Notice how I said that Harper is not the next Gray . If Gray can get over his injuries and turn it around (at 25), then all hope is not lost with Harper. He could turn it around and average 18 possessions a game and be a very handy player.

Holy s**t....did you just express a negative opinion about one of our players?

Never thought I'd see that happen :eek:

LOL. Saying Harper is not Robbie Gray is a negative opinion?

Completely delusional to reach any other conclusion. But if you think Harper will be the next best player in the AFL, then fine. All our players are superstars or future superstars after all and that is why we are unbeaten this year. Oh wait...

Last edited:
You forget that Gray was almost shipped off (rumours of port willing to listen to trades) because his body kept continually breaking down. Prior to 2014, he was a high half-forward averaging around 15 disposals a game. He got his body right, increased his fitness and he exploded.

I'm not saying Harper is the next Gray, but Gray didn't hit his stride until he was 25. Before then he was a quick and flashy player with a lot of promise.

I don't forget that at all. Gray couldn't stay fit but always showed a heap. And as I've already said I think Harper showed talent.

But the overrating is starting to become absurd.

I don't forget that at all. Gray couldn't stay fit but always showed a heap. And as I've already said I think Harper showed talent.

But the overrating is starting to become absurd.
I don't think it is overrating at all. It's not blind faith, it is genuine hope. Yes he has only shown glimpses, but * they are some bloody good glimpses.

Gray couldn't stay fit but showed a heap
Harper couldn't stay fit but showed potential

I just don't think it is that absurd to think he could turn it around IF his body stays right.

Back