Past Lachie Henderson

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is a middle ground between the so-called "ferals" who attacked our own players and the eternal optimists who hug everyones nuts and think that our players can never put a foot wrong.

As I have said previously, I would never boo a Carlton player, and I would never hope that one gets injured or anything like that. I may cringe when Collins gets near the ball, but I will ALWAYS support every player wearing the jumper. I bleed navy blue.

As for saying what I have said on BigFooty to the boys at training, I would have no problem with that. I don't see why I should be worried, or why they would get upset or angry, over me saying "you had a bit of a shocker last week". I think they would admit it themselves and would take it on board and try and improve for next week.

As for Henderson himself, I think he will be much better than a Miller type player. As has been said, he works his ass off leading up the ground and providing a target, and he has strong hands to hold onto marks. He's still only 20 years old too, so with time he will get the experience and muscle that he needs to become a better pack mark and one-on-one player. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but I remember that last season he played X amount of games for us and was one of our better goalkickers. I see no reason why this wont continue and actually improve as he gets older.

It made me sick to hear those bronx cheers. Those people are not Carlton fans. They aren't helping the cause.

I honestly felt so embarrased to be a Carlton fan when Henderson took the mark on the wing and everyone gave him the bronx cheer. I just hope that all of them remember their actions in the future when Hendo becomes one of our most important KPP's.

Lachie Henderson

...needs facial hair.

hendersonyx2.jpg

hendersonwj5.jpg

hendersonlu6.jpg

Run, Lachie, run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn8VCLTVKbU&feature=player_detailpage#t=71s

Round 12 - vs Brisbane

Disposals: 17 (8 kicks, 9 handballs)
Marks: 10 (2 contested, 4 inside 50)
Tackles: 5
Goals: 1.2 (1 goal assist)

Henderson played his second game of the season vs. the Lions and started as the dominant player on the ground, with 4 first quarter marks.

His strength lies in his endurance and repeat efforts, which on display with brilliant leading all day. Didn't drop any marks which he's been prone to do in the past.

Provided a great target across centre half forward and also worked deep to take 4 marks inside 50, including a couple genuinely contested marks, which again hasn't been his forte.

He seems hell bent on giving the ball off by hand, even if the option isn't there. Needs to slow down a touch and assess the situation, and not be afraid to kick be it near goal or around the ground. Still seems to lack a bit of self believe in his reluctance to have a set shot.

He won't have that much space every week but he showed today just how damaging a combination he could be with Waite. Definitely straightens us up by providing a strong target up the ground.

Would someone like to point out what they think are Hendo's strengths?

Bearing in mind we are talking about AFL KPF here, what do you think will make him anything more than a Brad Miller plodder type?

Beyond him wearing a CFC jumper and us wanting and hoping he is a good player that is.

No abuse. Just some thought out posts please.

I'm interested. I'm all ears.
Why do you even support an AFL team? Doesn't it embarrass you how little you actually grasp and understand about the sport you supposedly follow?

That said, how good was the big guy's game. Looked confident, lively and fit. I'm happy with that as a first-up effort and he's only going to get better.

Been a bit lax in updating this thread. :eek:

First time I've thought defence might be his go long term. Played on a raging Petrie and while Petrie didn't have the best delivery, I thought Henderson won the battle. Positioned well and read the ball brilliantly most of the night.

I doubted whether he offered as much down back as a shutdown defender as he does up forward, however I didn't forsee how confident he'd be with ball in hand. His run from defence has been really quite impressive, confident enough to take his man on but also composed and accurate by foot.

Keep him there, at least in the short term.

Been a bit lax in updating this thread. :eek:

First time I've thought defence might be his go long term. Played on a raging Petrie and while Petrie didn't have the best delivery, I thought Henderson won the battle. Positioned well and read the ball brilliantly most of the night.

I doubted whether he offered as much down back as a shutdown defender as he does up forward, however I didn't forsee how confident he'd be with ball in hand. His run from defence has been really quite impressive, confident enough to take his man on but also composed and accurate by foot.

Keep him there, at least in the short term.

Yeah agree with his run's off HB. I'm still not completely sold on him in defense but would like to see him at CHB when Jamo comes back for a few games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie should be kicking inside 50 and delivering to our other forwards...

[YOUTUBE]19aovfyUYS4[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19aovfyUYS4

Hendo doesn't need to be a 50 goal a year forward and superstar if he's kicking to Waite, Walker, Garlett, Betts and Kreuzer.

It's OK to average 1.5 to two goals a game if you're producing just as many assists as a lead up CHF.

[YOUTUBE]tPfqUdnr_vc[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPfqUdnr_vc

This is true but I would love some of Waite's aggressiveness to rub of on Lachie, I wanna see him crashing packs hurting defenders.

This is true but I would love some of Waite's aggressiveness to rub of on Lachie, I wanna see him crashing packs hurting defenders.

He's a big unit of 21 that's going to get bigger and stronger. He'll hurt em, don't worry. This stint in defence will toughen him up a bit too I think.

Have to think that Waite may not have all that much footy left in him at nearing 30 and with a history of injuries. If they can get another season out of him, then move Hendo back up forward with a more mature Watson coming into the backline and hopefully Mitchell at FF....yahoo!

Re: 2011 Player Review - BF wants you!

23. Lachie Henderson
Lachie Henderson had a great end to the 2010 season, kicking 10 goals in his last 4 games. He could’ve proven to be the difference in the Elimination Final against Sydney if it weren’t for some dropped marks, which was to be a major focus of Lachie’s in the pre-season. When the Blues began pre-season training, Hendo was one if not the best on the track pre- Christmas, having Carlton supporters very excited about Henderson’s 2011 at Centre Half Forward: a position which Carlton needed to be filled immediately if they were to push for the glorious number 17.

However, disaster struck for Lachie as a hip injury brought his promising preparation to a halt. As his teammates partook in a gruelling pre-season which many described as their toughest but ultimately their most rewarding, Hendo was forced to watch from the sidelines in rehabilitation. Slowly but surely, Hendo began to make his way back onto the track, but he was forced to start off the 2011 season by playing with the Northern Bullants.

Lachie earned a recall for the Round 4 blockbuster against Essendon, but he was clearly underdone, and had only 3 touches, before being subbed off to the Bronx cheers from Blues “fans”. Lachie was once again dropped back to the reserves to find some form and fitness. After kicking 9 goals in 3 weeks and an injury to Jarrad Waite, the door opened for Hendo, who was recalled to the side for the Round 12 game against his former side Brisbane.

After starting well early, Hendo drifted out of the game but did some nice things and kicked a goal, and against Sydney in Round 13 also, having a very promising third term, but being quiet for the majority of the contest. Hendo started at Centre Half Forward against West Coast in Round 14, but was bereft of opportunities in a team which was dominated in the midfield and practically all over the ground.

However, what proved to be a blessing in disguise, in-form full back Michael Jamison went down with an injury in the first quarter, as Hendo was forced back onto Josh Kennedy, who was kept goalless in the second half by Lachie. With Jamo ruled out for 8 weeks, Henderson found himself as the permanent Full Back, doing jobs on the likes of Jack and Nick Riewoldt, Barry Hall, Travis Cloke, Michael Hurley, Drew Petrie, Lance Franklin and Kennedy. Hendo was respectable against these opponents in the early going and grew in the role as the season progressed, keeping both Riewoldt and Hurley goalless in Round 24 and the Elimination Final respectively.

Hendo wasn’t merely a stopper, however, providing run out of the backline and at times was a link-up man and initiated attacking plays. This was at its most obvious against Drew Petrie in Round 19, where he had Petrie for pace all night and was one of the Blues’ best, keeping the in-form Petrie to just two goals. Hendo was dubbed as too slow and too weak by Carlton supporters to be a Centre Half Forward, but he has gained confidence in himself ever since being swung back, and has on multiple occasions proven too quick for his direct opponent.

Hendo managed to turn around his form in the second half of the season, and his much maligned contested marking was an obvious development in his much improved overall game. A full pre-season is vital for Hendo- although that could be said for practically anyone- as his potential was there for all to see not only in the latter stages of 2011 at Centre Half Back, but also in 2010 at Centre Half Forward. A defence with a fit Michael Jamison and an experienced Lachie with the likes Chris Yarran, Nick Duigan and Jeremy Laidler in support could take the Blues all the way, and has Blues fans very excited.

Hendo’s second half of the year was one of the best at the Blues, and he had the largest discrepancy between the first and second halves of the season in regards to form and output, although this can be attributed to his hip injury. However, to Lachie’s credit, he didn’t once let the injury be an excuse for his poor start to the year, instead putting in a massive effort not only to earn and hold his spot in the side, but also to be one of the most consistent performers. This was evident in Lachie’s stats, where at the Blues he was in the top 10 for Rebound 50s and Contested Marks, as well being in the top 5 for one percenters for the season, despite only playing half of the season. Hendo will play his 50th AFL game in Round 1 next season (provided he plays), as 2012 promises to be a big one for Hendo, and Carlton as a whole.

Best Game
Whilst Lachie had some very impressive games in the second half of the 2011 season, arguably his best game was in Round 24 against St. Kilda. In essentially an irrelevant game for the Blues and one with massive ramifications for the Saints (a home final or travel to Sydney), Lachie completely nullified the Saints skipper Nick Riewoldt. While Riewoldt had had a relatively quiet year compared to his normal illustrious standards, the man they call Roo completely tore up the North Melbourne defence just a week prior, and signs looked ominous as Riewoldt seemed to be hitting his stride on the eve of the finals. However, Hendo blatantly obliterated an ultimately frustrated Riewoldt, keeping Roo goalless (he kicked one behind for the game) and either broke even or won in the 50/50s with Riewoldt, who more often than not wins them. It gave the Blues and Lachie great hope for the finals series, with Hendo maintaining this form in the following two weeks in the Finals series.

Season stats
Games played: 15
Disposals: 173 (ave.11.5)
Kicks: 103 (ave 6.9)
Handballs: 70 (ave 4.7)
Marks: 70 (ave 4.7)
Tackles: 34 (ave 2.3)

Injury-free Lachie Henderson can't wait for season
815974-lachie-henderson.jpg

The operation sidelined him for months and restricted him to just one senior appearance in the team's opening 12 games. The off-season setback made his excellent string of performances in the backline in the second half of the year all the more impressive.

"The hip surgery was exactly this time last year. I was going in tomorrow actually," Henderson said.

"It's nice to finally - touch wood - get through a pre-season. I was sort of nursed through a bit in the first few weeks after some surgery on my foot, but I've been training fully now for a while."
Injury-free Lachie Henderson can't wait for season

Hat.

Lachie Henderson
Judderson

Games played: 11
Disposals: 133 (average of 12.1 per game) - efficiency at 79.7%
Kicks: 97 (ave 8.8)
Handballs: 36 (ave 3.3)
Marks: 59, 11 contested
One percenters: 61 (4th at club)
Goals: 3 Behinds: 4

Lachie Henderson's 2011 season was very much symbolic of Carlton's season as a whole: one of improvement. His move from Centre Half Forward to the back line, whilst out of necessity, proved to be the solution of a problem which Carlton had to counter. Following Michael Jamison's injury, Henderson played on the likes of the Riewoldts, Barry Hall, Travis Cloke, Michael Hurley, Drew Petrie, Lance Franklin and Josh Kennedy, his performances nothing short of admirable against the majority. His hip injury which had hindered his 2011 campaign had seemingly been eradicated, with Hendo- and many Carlton supporters who sung his praises for his late season efforts- looking forward to the 2012 season and what it had in store.

2012 pre-season
"Personally, I feel pretty good, having got through the pre-season without hitch – which gives me the best possible chance to hit the home and aways hard."

Despite having a relatively delayed start to the pre-season, not venturing to Qatar, Henderson's pre season was quite impressive, once again proving to be one of the best on the track. With the Centre Half Back position seemingly his if he went for it, Hendo's application ensured that he hit the ground running and prepared for the looming Round 1 matchup against Jack Riewoldt, due to the injury to Michael Jamison. Despite Carlton's winless NAB Cup campaign, Henderson was still one of the Blues' best performers early, although Drew Petrie did get the better of him in the final pre-season game.

Much like 2011, Henderson's season ultimately proved to be a microcosm of the team's season overall. Unfortunately, unlike 2011, this didn't signify improvement. It was a season that began with so much promise, yet culminated in heartbreak catalysed by injury.

Henderson's first game of 2012 was very similar to his first game as Centre Half Back in 2011, pitted against the eventual Coleman Medallist Jack Riewoldt. In a game where the Blues' defence was significantly undermanned due to the absence of Jamison and Nick Duigan, Henderson and his teammates' performance was always going to be influential in relation to the result. The defence, led by Hendo and the herculean Jeremy Laidler following his horrible dislocated knee, put in a terrific team performance which undeniably assisted the Blues in their now customary victory over the Tigers. Individually, Hendo's performance was more than respectable, holding Riewoldt to two goals in the first three quarters, with the others coming when the game was relatively certain in Carlton's favour.

Lachie's impressive early season form continued in the 91 point triumph against his old side Brisbane on Holy Thursday, before Hendo put in his best performance the following week in what also was Carlton's best 2012 performance: the glorious 60 point victory over Collingwood in Round 3. Despite Jamison returning, the Blues' faith in Hendo was never more explicit when they put Henderson on Travis Cloke. Cloke's early contested mark against Henderson in the goal square seemed ominous for the Blues, yet there was nothing to worry about: Hendo proceeded to monster Cloke in a battle indicative of the contest as a whole.

Hendo was serviceable against the Bombers in the capitulation in Round 4, thus arguably making him one of the Blues' better players, before proceeding to once again unequivocally defeat his next high profile opponent: Matthew Pavlich. Lachie restricted Pavlich to one goal despite being caught on Pavlich one on one on multiple occasions. Hendo was once again admirable in his proceeding two performances against GWS and St. Kilda, yet as had been so often the case for the Blues in 2012, disaster struck.

Hendo was moved forward against the Crows in Round 8 as the game slipped away, with Lachie looming as a potential spark for the Blues, scoring a goal and assisting Garlett. However, in a game remembered for Marc Murphy's shoulder injury, Hendo also relatively innocuously injured his groin, which would restrict him to only three more games for the season. In those games, Henderson was predominantly played as a forward, with his contested marking ability (which had been the source of doubt for Carlton supporters in 2011) being the highlight. This was particularly evident in the game against North Melbourne, taking a couple of contested marks early, yet he had to be moved onto the dangerous Drew Petrie, although the damage was already done.

It was announced on the 24th of July that Henderson had succumbed to the continuous groin struggles, ruling him out for the remainder of the season in yet another injury blow for the Blues.

"I’m happy to assist the club in any capacity in any position, whether it be back, forward or wherever."

Henderson looms as a vital figure for the Blues in 2013 under the new tutelage of Mick Malthouse, with Henderson's role particularly up in the air. His prowess as a Centre Half Back was quite visible in the early parts of the season, prompting him to be one of the best performed players in the Best and Fairest up until his injury. However, Henderson has also shown he is fully capable of playing in the forward line also, with his tandem with Jarrad Waite towards the end of 2010 resulting in 22 goals from 4 games between the two. It is more than likely that Henderson's position is determined by the development in Matthew Watson, Patrick McCarthy, Luke Mitchell and Levi Casboult, which could dictate whether Hendo plays forward or back. With Malthouse at the helm, the big Number 23 may even find himself as the Leigh Brown of the team, playing forward, back and potentially even assisting in the ruck (as had been forecasted in the 2011 pre season).

I just wonder in another couple of years if we'll still be talking about Lachie the defender, or Lachie the forward? He certainly showed us again on Sunday a glimpse of what he can do up forward. He's clearly our best KPP kick on goal. Talk about a clutch goal in that last quarter. If we can just get Watson or McCarthy up to AFL level, I think Lachie will make a permanent move to the forward line.

Lachie has had a slow preseason largely thanks to injury but he looked excellent out there on Sunday.

Defensively sound but also showed that he can absolutely be a valuable swing man for us by being able to have an impact in the forward line as well as in the back half.

His set shot from 50 never looked like missing and was a beautiful kick. Not sure what quarter it was in, but the kick around the corner from half forward to find a free team mate was also beautiful vision and equally impressive execution.

Has all the traits to be a brilliant footballer at either end of the ground. Personally I think his real value is in the fact that he can play at both ends of the ground, so I wouldn't want us to limit him to one end or the other - but I do see him as a better defender. Knows how to completely blanket a man but looks equally comfortable carrying the ball out of the backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back