Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

When we were dominating Freo and putting on the perceived pressure, their stoppage structures and midfield system completely fell apart.

Powell would sit off the contest waiting for the give from LDU to pinpoint a laser kick inside 50. It was absolutely sublime-deliberate slick footy.

The criticism of Tom does my head in, he's 2 years in, had an injury and was slight to begin with.

Let's use fair KPIs shall we.

Attitude to club and training - ELITE
Disposal by Hands - ELITE
Disposal by foot - Above average
Footy IQ - Above average

Size, strength and fitness will come with hard work and time.

Personally I see Tom as one of our highest celling kids, who has the right mindset to put it all together.

In Tom I trust!

Where are all the impatient haters now?

Finally has a coach who sees what he can be. The defensive mid who sets the play is perfect for Tom.

We haven't even seen his best yet, Watch him and you will see a player who just has the game unfold in front of him and sees it in a way few do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news, I've loved his first two games this season and still believe he has a lot of upside. Will be a major player in dominant midfield over the next few years.

Great show of faith from both Club and Tom.

He needs continuity and serious midfield minutes to reach his potential.

He's a deadset inside traffic midfielder.

I was disappointed they gave his minutes to Will last year but they both needed the opportunity to show their worth. Tom is a mid and anything other than that is just not going to work.

I was disappointed they gave his minutes to Will last year but they both needed the opportunity to show their worth. Tom is a mid and anything other than that is just not going to work.
Yep.

LDU, Powell and Wardlaw. That’s the first choice midfield until someone better comes along.

Simpkin/Lazzaro/McKercher/Sheezel to rotate.

Phillips on the outside looking in.

Phillips is better than Lazzaro.
Possibly.

He’s better than a few blokes we trot out.

But he isn’t better than the pure midfielders we have out there and he’s invisible when played outside the centre circle.

Which is why he’s playing twos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back