Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm catching up on the past few games and having a laugh at Hooker butchering the ball in the Saints game! The Saints first goal was absolutely gifted by Hooker but went by without comment. A few minutes later he tried to give them another one passing the ball directly to a Saints player inside 50. It's amazing how some diabolical acts go unnoticed depending on the stage that the game is at. Early in the Saints game we were dominating so it didn't look so bad, but with the benefit of hindsight that goal he gifted makes your stomach turn inside out! :rolleyes: We had a full defensive wall going and he turns and handballs backwards to a bunch of Saints players who happen to be running through the wall...
Take nothing away from his season though, all the guys have had their moments...

Hooker had better watch his back. If he plays any better our coaching panel might just decide that he's so good he could make it as a forward.

Hooker's one on one play in marking contests has never been better than this year. His intercept marking has been great (same as last year). Is now legitimately our best defender on the big powerful forwards. Also must have played close to the most consecutive games at Essendon right now. Has become a durable, consistent defender.

To be a little critical he has had a few games where he's allowed some turnovers to creep back into his play though. I think he can tighten up on a couple of these errors. Unfortunately backmen turnovers hurt so much more than other turnovers.

I'm catching up on the past few games and having a laugh at Hooker butchering the ball in the Saints game! The Saints first goal was absolutely gifted by Hooker but went by without comment. A few minutes later he tried to give them another one passing the ball directly to a Saints player inside 50. It's amazing how some diabolical acts go unnoticed depending on the stage that the game is at. Early in the Saints game we were dominating so it didn't look so bad, but with the benefit of hindsight that goal he gifted makes your stomach turn inside out! :rolleyes: We had a full defensive wall going and he turns and handballs backwards to a bunch of Saints players who happen to be running through the wall...
Take nothing away from his season though, all the guys have had their moments...

Well he still makes the occasional mistake. But consider that he is averaging 24 possessions and also going for some longer kicks, then it is mitigated a fair bit. 1 clanger in 25 is almost acceptable. He is traveling at 85%DE which is very, very good. It's a bit like people moaning about Stanton turning it over a couple of times after he has had 35 touches.

Ill put my hand up and say I wanted picks 25 (Nathan Wright) & 26 (Spencer White) for Hooker but am well and truly glad we kept him.

Is one of our most reliable players in the back half at the moment and someone i am so pleased to see him playing so well

We probably would have just taken Ashby knowing our drafting.

was actually 24 and 25 after adelaide burnt their own pick as well. I was also in that boat, but Hooksy wanted to stay, and we are in absolutely no situation to boot blokes to the curb when they want to be here.

West Coast were never sniffing around, St Kilda tried to send him there as part of a deal to get Mitch Brown (hilariously).

Cale scuppered the deal though, even before West Coast got to deliver this zinger.

"We can get a deal for Cale Hooker for you"
"Looks like you've found your new key defender"

Silly west coast. Mitch brown is poo.

West Coast were never sniffing around, St Kilda tried to send him there as part of a deal to get Mitch Brown (hilariously).

Cale scuppered the deal though, even before West Coast got to deliver this zinger.

"We can get a deal for Cale Hooker for you"
"Looks like you've found your new key defender"

Silly west coast. Mitch brown is poo.

The thing I could never understand is why StKilda didn't go after Hooker. A weird decision !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hookers improvement over the last 2 years has outdone everyone's expectations, if only our first and second round draft picks over the last 5-6 years would do the same.

Bomber said that Hooker said no to a trade and backed himself in to play well. I rate that so highly, i can hardly put words to the effect. That's what this club needs and will continue to need if we want to win a flag. Guys willing to back their ability and trust in what can be done will this team. Tip of my hat to Hooks. Massive respect

Is it actually true that Cale demanded to stay in Victoria with Bombers when West Coast were sniffing around?

Ben the Gooner might know more about this

When he was featured on the The Hangar last year, it showed how much he loved playing for Essendon and living in Victoria, and that his family was very happy as well.

That intercept mark column.

MattyKnightsAnzacDay09Climax.jpg

That intercept mark column.

MattyKnightsAnzacDay09Climax.jpg
It's funny that they are making a big deal of spoils, but when you're good enough to intercept mark instead - you do that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back