Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #26: Cale Hooker - Best game for club?

couldn't agree more. I got castigated by muppets on the Main Board when I said Hooker was worth way more than Caddy. Idiots.

Could probably bump a few of those posts I reckon Lance.

Could probably bump a few of those posts I reckon Lance.
Haha so true...

It's funny. I remember going to Box Hill oval in 2007 and going to my wife (then gf) who is this guy? We went to watch Gumby but this other tall I didn't know impressed the shit out of me! Who the **** was this big anvil???

Then he had the odd disposal issue and because he was a low draft pick people wrote him off. Then the Buddy chase and he was chopped liver.

And yet...

The guy has just gotten better. A young man his size takes time. And he's gotten better and better and better. And now he is a ****ing general in our back line.

And people wanted to trade him AND pick 19 for Caddy. **** me... Now, Caddy is pretty good. But rock solid rolled gold KPP backs are worth their weight in gold. Mids are, excuse me, but almost a dime a dozen.

Hooker is a ****ing gun. I love him. He IS Essendon. Get the **** around him!!

Nothing will please me more than seeing Hooksy, Stants and Myers with premiership medallions. They're the three. Jobe and Beej etc. as well for different reasons, but those three are, as you say, Essendon.

Nothing will please me more than seeing Hooksy, Stants and Myers with premiership medallions. They're the three. Jobe and Beej etc. as well for different reasons, but those three are, as you say, Essendon.
I can honestly see Hooker towelling up Jarryd Roughead in a GF and claiming the NS with 25 disposals, 10 marks and 6 rebound 50's while the ranga gets <10 touches, 0 goals

I can honestly see Hooker towelling up Jarryd Roughead in a GF and claiming the NS with 25 disposals, 10 marks and 6 rebound 50's while the ranga gets <10 touches, 0 goals
Nursing a semi at the thought.

That would be a ******* sight to see.
While obviously sledging him about being a diving fairy princess when facing a bloke who's 8 cm's shorter and has 16 kg's lighter than him.

It's absolutely ridiculous that the Buddy chase was what gave Cale a bad reputation, by the way. Buddy is an athletic freak. Cale didn't even really lose ground in those chases, he just couldn't quite catch him.

It's not as if he gave up and just watched him waltz into an open goal.

It's absolutely ridiculous that the Buddy chase was what gave Cale a bad reputation, by the way. Buddy is an athletic freak. Cale didn't even really lose ground in those chases, he just couldn't quite catch him.

Must of hated too when they kept replaying it.

I was a critic of Hooker in the past but he was always solid in contests, his issue was more about his disposal. With that being said, he's gone from just being good in marking contest situations to, for lack of a better term, elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still so young in his career as well.

Absolutely Doss, he should be commended for not giving up the chase when it would've been easy for him to start jogging. It would've only taken 1 team mate to cut across the front of Buddy to make him take a short step and it could've been very different but instead he's seen busting a gut until the play was dead, and this to the amusement of too many people out there.

That's the thing with Hooker, he has always given every ounce of his fibre for the jumper in every single game. It's obvious he's worked big time on his disposal. His attributes that were always good (marking, negating a contest) are just getting better year on year. That and the injury issues he had earlier in the career are gone, he is now one of our most durable players.

The coaches would love him, every single Essendon supporter should love him. I have a full on no-homo love for the bloke and desperately hope his body stays sound and he stays a 1 club player.

A workmate who is a Carlton supporter texted me during the Anzac Day game bagging him out, saying he can take a mark and punch, that is it. I replied by saying 'and your lot would kill for him.' He agreed, then paid out on him again! WTF?

Carl(ol)ton supporters *shakes head*

Hooker has always been a confidence player. He had a dip in confidence in 2011 and 2012 (hence the trade talks), but he has improved so much ever since he began to believe in himself. The faith shown to him by Hird and the coaches when it could have been very easy to trade him against his will is paying dividends.

And people wanted to trade him AND pick 19 for Caddy. **** me... Now, Caddy is pretty good. But rock solid rolled gold KPP backs are worth their weight in gold. Mids are, excuse me, but almost a dime a dozen.

Even if you were against trading Hooker and 19 for Caddy no one is seriously going to claim that he or she saw the current form coming.

He is now taking the best opposition when the match up suits and still controlling the back line.

His form is remarkable.

Even if you were against trading Hooker and 19 for Caddy no one is seriously going to claim that he or she saw the current form coming.

He is now taking the best opposition when the match up suits and still controlling the back line.

His form is remarkable.

Bruno its a matter of confidence,development, and more often than not, having the number two forward. There are circumstances where he will take the number one forward Cloke/Roughead. We seem to have struck a happy balance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back