Retired Will Minson (#913)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personal opinion Toastman, is that we should keep Will.

Strong bodied player in peak form and plays in a position undervalued across the football world. We wouldn't get a high enough pick for him to make good use of it and it would set back the side more than it would benefit it. All our midfielders would need to learn to read another players taps and ruckwork.

We've waited long enough and invested heavily in the Big Fella, lets reap the rewards while we can....

It's an interesting one, as Rocket clearly played the kids that year and tried to develop them. But he just wouldn't play Will.... Strange one....

Yeah, i just think Hudson was a massive presence and figure in the playing group it would have been hard to play Minno ahead of him.

What about a trade of Minson ....
From an outside view, i think trading someone like Minson would kill a club. It smells like something Melbourne would do, and it would bury us.

Yeah, i just think Hudson was a massive presence and figure in the playing group it would have been hard to play Minno ahead of him.

From an outside view, i think trading someone like Minson would kill a club. It smells like something Melbourne would do, and it would bury us.
If the players can see the club is committed to them, they play accordingly. Should never trade anyone in your top 22. I'm tipping Will will be our next captain, unless you want to be like Melbourne and appoint a 21 year old.

Rocket hated will, end of story!

Thee were stages when will would be on a wing and had a 5'8 midfielder next to him and we would not kick it to him. It was as though players were instructed not to play through him under rocket

Thought I'd just point out again that Minson smashed the opposition ruckmen again and the only player who had more clearances then him was Libba.
Surely one of the best rucks in the league now. Who would still be better?

If the players can see the club is committed to them, they play accordingly. Should never trade anyone in your top 22. I'm tipping Will will be our next captain, unless you want to be like Melbourne and appoint a 21 year old.

Minson isn't a captain, I'd guess Griffin or Cooney would be where the smart money would go for the next captain. Being a captain shouldn't be about how good a player you are, it should be about how good a leader you are.

Surely one of the best rucks in the league now. Who would still be better?

McEvoy is better IMO. NicNat would probably be too if not injured.

Minson isn't a captain, I'd guess Griffin or Cooney would be where the smart money would go for the next captain. Being a captain shouldn't be about how good a player you are, it should be about how good a leader you are.
Just curious why do you list arguably our two best players as the best for the captaincy, and then say being a captain isn't about how good a player you are? Griffen is no chance for the captaincy he's not that type, Cooney possibly i'm not sure. I don't think there's anyone on the list that really stands out as captain after Boyd apart from Wallis, so maybe it might just be a direct swap. Isn't Boyd contracted to 2015 anyway by which point Wallis will be 22 and into his fifth season? I wouldn't say that's too young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just curious why do you list arguably our two best players as the best for the captaincy, and then say being a captain isn't about how good a player you are? Griffen is no chance for the captaincy he's not that type, Cooney possibly i'm not sure. I don't think there's anyone on the list that really stands out as captain after Boyd apart from Wallis, so maybe it might just be a direct swap. Isn't Boyd contracted to 2015 anyway by which point Wallis will be 22 and into his fifth season? I wouldn't say that's too young.

I think your combining my two statements when they weren't intended to be combined.

I was trying to make the first point that anyone betting on our next captain would probably be betting on one of those two, not inherently because they would make the best captain but because they are the kind of players who tend to end up as captains of teams.

The second point was that we should pick a leader not a stereotype for the position.

I don't think Minson would win either version of a captaincy contest even though I think he is our best player.

Time for people to fess up if they called for Minson to be sacked and traded during Eade's reign. He's a more influential ruckman than Hudson ever was

Not good enough. Needs to do more around the ground :p

Will is the best tap ruckman in the game. He still somehow manages to get into the game around the ground, and kicked an awesome soccer goal, even though that's not really his natural game. Really impressed.

Not good enough. Needs to do more around the ground :p

Will is the best tap ruckman in the game. He still somehow manages to get into the game around the ground, and kicked an awesome soccer goal, even though that's not really his natural game. Really impressed.

He had a great game in the 2009 flashback on the bulldogs site too, was even clunking some contested marks that game.

Time for people to fess up if they called for Minson to be sacked and traded during Eade's reign. He's a more influential ruckman than Hudson ever was

Ok, I admit I was one of them. I wanted him traded to Gold Coast at the time mainly because of the benefits we would have received from it. If we traded him to the Gold Coast we would have got a pick from GC and a compo pick from the AFL because Harbrow had already left. I thought that was an excellent deal for us and I thought it may have been used to get Andrew Walker from Carlton who we were interested in at the time.

Ok, I admit I was one of them. I wanted him traded to Gold Coast at the time mainly because of the benefits we would have received from it. If we traded him to the Gold Coast we would have got a pick from GC and a compo pick from the AFL because Harbrow had already left. I thought that was an excellent deal for us and I thought it may have been used to get Andrew Walker from Carlton who we were interested in at the time.

How much would McKenna be regretting that, vetoed that trade as he thought Josh Fraser was better, imagine Minson palming it down to Ablett, Swallow, Bennel, Martin, Prestia etc ove coming years :eek:

Thought I should mention as Will is my adopt a dog that he and Patty Dangerfield challenged each other (on twitter) to a 'fish off' and Bob chimed in asking if it would be done topless.

Oh and he is on AFL 360 tonight!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back