DSC00789_1.JPG

Photo taken by [name]Old_Dog[/name]

Games - 9
Goals - 6
Best and Fairest - Outside top 10

Date of Birth - 11th April 1985
Recruited Pick 20 2002 draft.
Height/Weight: 199cm, 106kg
Dreamteam Price: 665 points; $256,200 (-$6,100)
Supercoach: 746 points; $322,300 (+35,200)

Stats history: Will Minson (AFL Tables)

With the sub rule being introduced in 2011 there was always only going to be room for 1 big ruckman per side, and as the match commitee saw fit for most of the year they went with Hudson instead of Minson which many will debate if that was the right course or if Minson was playing second fiddle due to Hudson having a good established relationship with Eade given Hudson's poor form for majority of the year.

Minson kept fighting on however playing some great football for Williamstown, finishing 4th in Liston medal and 3rd in Williamstown B&F despite also playing 9 games for Bulldogs.

Minson will have the first ruck duties for 2012 and needs to take control as he is 26 and in prime age for a ruckman.

Notable Games:

Round 8 - vs Richmond: Playing up forward, Minson took a dismal Richmond defence apart with 4 goals and a goal assist.

Round 6 - vs Collingwood: Playing his first game for year in Hudson's absence he took Wood to the cleaners racking up a missive 56 hitouts.

I kinda hope that McCartney encourages Minson to just throw around the younger rucks and to just put the fear of god into them. An aggressive ruckman will always make the opponents rucks protects themselves rather than going right for the ball.

While it's only pre-season form (albeit he was against AFL standard opposition players against Carlton), I'm glad to see Will showing the world (and Rocket) how effective he can be at the top level (and why he was dudded last year). Keep it up Wilbur

Most interesting is that, from all reports Carlton has one of the strongest ruck divisions in the AFL but Minson completely dominated their rucks. Wilbur looks set to have a big year this year if he keeps this form up.

Kreuzer seemed to get the tap outs at will when against Cords and Roughy but Minson competed really well against him in the ruck.

Will has always been a competitive ruckman, where he has not been able to stamp himself is with his marking and general around the ground play. He did both really well on Sunday. Despite how good Kreuzer was, and is, it had Carlton fans lamenting his inability to take big marks. But gee Kreuzer is a good player and he did everything but take the big clunkers. But Will played so well it just seemed to highlight that on the day.

The way we play now, it gives the forwards a chance to take contested marks. That suits Minson, in the past we looked more to hit up the lead. Even Hall marked mostly on the lead.

So expect to see the big guys as targets one one this year a lot more I think. Minson looks like he want to be a target and we know how good Jones is at the contested mark. :thumbsu:

What has happened to Minson's marking? He seemed to be much improved in the pre-season but against Adelaide he dropped quite a few where he had first hands to the ball. Can't remember him taking too many against WCE either.

If he can't take grabs from reasonable chances around the ground and when resting up forward he is going to be of limited use ... and the skids will again be under him.

He took 9 marks against West Coast (Hargrave next with 7), but he did spill a few on Saturday night. The ground wasn't wet, but conditions may have been greasy. Probably would have clunked them during the day.

Surprised to see Will's name in lights in the Herald Sun. What sort of compo would we get if he left? He's had a fairly good year this year - very much under the radar.

Surprised to see Will's name in lights in the Herald Sun. What sort of compo would we get if he left? He's had a fairly good year this year - very much under the radar.
Not very much. As I said in the Free Agency thread on the main board a while ago, he's much more valuable to us then to another team. so I doubt that the compo will be a lot.

I would hope that he is a priority in contract discussions given he is the only UFA we can lose (outside of probable retiring Gilbee and Hargarve) and is very important. I hope he doesn't begrudge how he was handled last year as it was clear he was our number 1 ruckman from start of last year but was left languishing due to Eade not seeing that, McKenna stuffed up bigtime overuling Clayton to take Fraser instead on Minson at end of 2010.

Not very much. As I said in the Free Agency thread on the main board a while ago, he's much more valuable to us then to another team. so I doubt that the compo will be a lot.

It depends though. I am pretty sure that the compo system being used is the same as the GC/GWS one. So it will go in his B&F finish (probably top 10 this year) and money paid (higher than normal in order to entice him to make the switch). May get a 2nd round pick? If its after our normal 2nd round pick, I would take it and use it straight up this year.

I would hope that he is a priority in contract discussions given he is the only UFA we can lose (outside of probable retiring Gilbee and Hargarve) and is very important. I hope he doesn't begrudge how he was handled last year as it was clear he was our number 1 ruckman from start of last year but was left languishing due to Eade not seeing that, McKenna stuffed up bigtime overuling Clayton to take Fraser instead on Minson at end of 2010.

Oh, what a poor poor decision by McKenna! GWS have recruited far better and it shows.

I well, I'm happy we didn't get rid of him otherwise we'd be seeing stories from Hutchy about how the Dogs need to trade for a tall ruckman!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel this post needs some love in the Minson thread.

Minson had the most influence in the Ruck contest.

Minson FFS!!!!

After going into bat for H and Goldy in the same side, I'm officially off the two rucks idea.

It aint workin'.

He has taken the number one ruck role by the scruff of the neck...love it. :thumbsu:

So he's been doing Engineering for 10 years? Wow.. Clearly he's resat the Engineering 101 exam a few times...

In contrast, Sam Power finished a Comm/Law degree in his first year after leaving us!

Will is on Before the Game right now, and he was asked about him being an unrestricted free agent. He said he wants to stay at the dogs (as you'd expect), but you could tell he really means it. I don't think we will be in a lot of danger with him being out of contract.

Will is on Before the Game right now, and he was asked about him being an unrestricted free agent. He said he wants to stay at the dogs (as you'd expect), but you could tell he really means it. I don't think we will be in a lot of danger with him being out of contract.

Had to tune in after hearing he was going to be on. Big Will must be such good value around the club. Heard him on MMM last (which I hate, but AM reception in the city sucks!) and the stories he tells are just absolute classics. Quality guy who just keeps on improving. The Peoples Beard leaving really has allowed him the room to evolve. Quality guy and quality player.

Had to tune in after hearing he was going to be on. Big Will must be such good value around the club. Heard him on MMM last (which I hate, but AM reception in the city sucks!) and the stories he tells are just absolute classics. Quality guy who just keeps on improving. The Peoples Beard leaving really has allowed him the room to evolve. Quality guy and quality player.

Definitely. Always make sure to listen in when Will is speaking anywhere, you know it's always going to be good.

He does seem like a man that loves the club. And if he's in his current form (certainly top five ruckmen in the AFL form ATM) then he's going to cause a lot of grief out there throughout the year.

After all, remember that one North supporter who couldn't believe that he was smashing McIntosh and Goldstein?

I must say that I love the sheer lack of respect and recognition that he gets on the main board. Don't they remember him singlehandedly beating North Melbournes unbeatable ruck combo?

I must say that I love the sheer lack of respect and recognition that he gets on the main board. Don't they remember him singlehandedly beating North Melbournes unbeatable ruck combo?

it's hilarious. it's just highlights their stupidity, it's a good laugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back