Remove this Banner Ad

SCHULZ%20Jay.png

Height: 193 cm

Weight: 94 kg

Date of Birth: 18th April 1985

Nickname: Sarge, Crumpet

Twitter Handle: jschulz28

Position: Key Forward

Recruited From: Richmond (2009 Trade Period, Jay Schulz in exchange for Mitch Farmer and Pick #72)

Other AFL Clubs: Richmond (2003-2009, 71 games, 58 goals)

Career Games (to end of 2016): 194 (82 wins, 3 draws, 109 losses)

Career Goals (to end of 2016): 333

For more career stats click here.

Honours:
  • 2004 AFL Rising Star Nominee
  • 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 PAFC Leading Goalkicker (33, 42, 49 & 66 respectively)
More info on Jay Schulz:
Jay’s 2015 was solid rather than spectacular. His goal tally was down to 44 and there were numerous games he struggled to have an impact on. However, he still finished second for goals at the club. His strongest patch of form was from rounds 3 to 5 when he kicked 4, 5 and 5 goals in successive weeks, all being important contributions to close fought wins. Jay’s year was also dogged by speculation that he was unhappy with Port’s offer of a contract extension and leaning towards signing with Fremantle. This speculation grew as the season went on and reached a crescendo when he spent a considerable amount of time thanking the crowd after our round 23 season ender. In the end, Schulzy did the right thing and signed a one year extension at Port. Jay will enter 2016 as perhaps the secondary tall target in our forward line following the recruitment of Charlie Dixon, something he will no doubt enjoy after so many years of close attention from the opposition.

Highlight Reel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Jay Schulz

Ah my allocated player ... Jay 'Sarge' Schulz :D

... hope he doesnt flounder like another of my buddies in a similar vein a few years ago ... Damon White.

Jay's a big fella ... ddint realise he played as many as 71 games at Richmond. The fact that Dimma didnt want him is a worry. Hopefully he can learn from Tredders and play some good footy.

Jay will probably be battling with the Westhoffs and his WWT team-mate Salter for a spot in the forward line in 2010.

Good luck Jay :thumbsu:

One of the most naturally gifted footballers to ever wear the Teal and Silver, Mental strength and Application is where he falls down. Natural ability is on par with Rodger James and Bowen Lockwood. If Tredrea can teach Jay how to work hard and work himself into a match, we may yet unearth a MASSIVE trump card here! Capable of beating any defender on his day and if confidece is high is just one of those blokes you kick the ball towards and he does the rest. W.Tredrea, Surrounded by D.Motlop, R.Gray and B.Ebert with J.Schultz and J.Butcher/J.Westhoff and if C.Hitchcock or W.Thompson can become a small roving FP our forward six will be one of the most potent in 2010. Options aplenty. Schultz is capable of holding out the strongest defenders and knows how to use his body to great advantage, is quick over 20 meters, hands like pots of Glue (depending on confidence) and has a vetrical leap capable of touching the Moon. Takes hangers, take them on the lead, takes them with strength in the square, A matter of a fact, He is taking one now! I hope Tredrea can get in this lads head and give him 10% more than Richmond could, we have done it numerous times before, see Rodan, Run and Jump at the ball Jay!

Sarge looked good in his first outing last week ... commanded CHF, marked well - just his kicking for goal let him dwon ... plenty of upside and Ranga's thoughts could well ring true in 2010 for our forward set-up.

How he and Tredders gel together will be the test - hopefully Tredders back in the square and Sarge further up at the 50?

Sarge' has looked ok at CHF without setting the world on fire - has been competitive and has worked well with Tredders keeping out of each other's way ... marks strongly - just needs some goals to ice his game, esp with Salts kicking 7 at the Weagles last weekend.

It would be interesting to see how Schulz's season has been seen by the coaches and larger Port Adelaide population.

Personally I think he's grown as a contributing member from the beginning of the season to now.

I agree - has taken giant steps this year - with Tredders gone I hope he takes his chances next year to improve again!:thumbsu:

His ability as a junior was amazing, I think a few years questioning his ability and in a battling environment effect him in ways those that have not experienced these demons can fathom. The same sort of situation as Nathan Thompson and Johnathon Hay, I would much rather see a doco on these three guys than one about Ben Cousins battle with Drug addiction. I do not see how you could Glorify Depression or the sheer lack of confidence in ones self. Where as Underbelly, and possibly the Cousins doco, have made wheeling and dealing Drugs and partaking in illegal activities attractive!

#28 JAY SCHULZ

26 / 193 / 95

241932.jpg

VOTES:
BigFooty: 82 (13th)
Port: 7 (=7th)
Macca19: 53 (11th)

AFL Stats:
Games: 16
Disposals: 157
Disposal Efficiency: 69.4
Marks: 78
Contested Marks: 27
Clearances: 3
Tackles: 30
Inside50: 26
Rebound50: 0
Contested Possession: 78
Goals: 31
Goal Assists: 7
Best Players: 10

Notes:

2011 was a year of mixed fortunes for Jay. He played some very good games, missed 6 games through injury and fell out of form towards the end of the year.

His start to the year saw him leave the field on a stretcher 30 minutes into Round 1. The worst was feared but it was discovered that Jay had only strained a PCL and not the ACL as first feared. He missed 5 weeks and returned against Hawthorn in Round 7. His form over the next two months was very good and very consistent. He made the best players in 8 of the next 9 matches and kicked multiple goals in 6.

His best game of the year was an 8 mark, 7 goal performance against Brisbane that should have seen us win the match. He kicked 3 goals four times during the year, including in Round 23 when he also took 8 marks. His hard leading, high flying efforts up forward have seen him turn his career around and become a fairly difficult match up.

Jay is someone whos output could improve further with a better midfield delivering the ball to him. A fitter midfield and an open forward line could see Jay push the 50 goal mark in a best case scenario. Still with plenty of football left, Jay could become a key to the clubs finals push in coming years.

2cd6k1.jpg

Previous History
2010 – 9th

Schulz was the 3rd most accurate goal kicker in the AFL in 2011, not that we didn't already know he was uber accurate!

Link

On The Straight And Narrow

schulzjay246.jpg

THERE'S no secret weapon in front of goal for Port Adelaide's Jay Schulz - his only 'trick' is practice.

The high-flying forward has been Power's main man inside 50 for the last two seasons and, while not prolific in his returns, he's been deadly accurate.

He was ranked third in the league in 2011 for goal-kicking accuracy of players who booted more than 30 goals in 2011, with 31 goals at 75.6 per cent.

Link

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This boy is an absolute dead eye dick at goal, and his contested marking ability is up there with the best.

This year ( 2012 ) he's not far off Coleman pace, missed a few due to eye injury. He could quite easily be leading the AFL goal kicking if not for his bizarre injury.

Love ya work Jay.:thumbsu:

Originally posted by Macca19

5th #28 JAY SCHULZ

146 Votes

266751.jpg

VOTES:
BigFooty: 146 (5th)
Port: 14 (4th)
Toots: 115 (2nd)

AFL Stats:
Games: 15
Disposals: 171
Marks: 102
Contested Marks: 24
Clearances: 4
Tackles: 33
Inside50: 29
Rebound50: 0
Contested Possession: 79
Goals: 42
Goal Assists: 8
Best Players: 10

Notes:
2012 was a mixed bag for Jay. When on the park he was nothing short of brilliant, dominating the forward line, kicking multiple goals in 13 of his 15 matches. But, his kamikaze like attack on the ball led to him missing 7 matches throughout the year, mainly from a dangerous abdomen injury which saw him spend 5 weeks on the sideline. Through in nearly losing an eye in a showdown that saw him miss two weeks and it wasn’t a great year injury wish for Jay. However, his season was truly excellent, his consistency and ability to mark the ball under extreme pressure and kick accurately make him one of the league’s most efficient key forwards. If Jay can play 22 games next year, the sky is the limit.

2i7oln9.jpg

Burgess making his mark with a tough start to Pre-season

Link

Schulz: This is the hardest start ever

STAR forward Jay Schulz says the start to the 2013 pre-season has been one of the most gruelling he has encountered in senior football.

Speaking exclusively to portadelaidefc.com.au, Schulz said the playing group had been focussed on pushing through the intense sessions prepared by high performance manager Darren Burgess since the resumption of training last week.

“It’s been pretty solid and pretty intense with a big focus on going as hard as you can,” said Schulz.

Link

Jay Schulz ready to launch into the 2013 season (Sunday Mail 10 February 2013)

Jay ready for a breakout season

508337-jay.jpg

But he's patched up again, and one of the reasons his confidence hasn't been rocked by the hits and their repercussions is because part of him expects them to come.
"I had a scan in January this year and that's all clear, (the) blood clot's gone and the kidneys are working back to normal," he said. "I've done close to a full pre-season and had a really good summer.
"Sometimes the way I play I do that in training as well and I have to try to not kill myself at times. But if I don't train that way I don't think I'll play that way either.
"I haven't really thought about it (the injuries) that much. Injuries are injuries ... and the way I've played my whole career and the position I've played, mainly tall, key forward or back, that's what happens in those roles.
"There are always big contests, whether they are in the air or on the ground, and I just accept that."
Jay ready for a breakout season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back