3 Dead After Eating Wild Mushrooms

Remove this Banner Ad

Erin Patterson said three times that Don is still alive (Don being her ex father-in law). Twice she mentioned him specifically and once she said her kids have lost a grandmother (but didn't mention grandfather- eg Don).

She also specifically said Ian (the Baptist Pastor) had passed.

All the media has been saying Ian is the one who survived and now needs a liver transplant.

So either every single media report has been incorrect on this basic fact, or somehow Patterson doesn't know who's alive and dead.

Very odd.

Well it seems the media doesn't even know who's alive and dead....potentially

The story is 100% consistent with Amanita Phallodes poisoning, they are reported to have consumed mushrooms then became ill with 'gastro' over the next day or so. They became sicker and were transferred to the Alfred where they are reported to have identified Amatoxins. I'm sure their livers and kidneys would be cooked. Not sure why you are having a problem with it, it's not uncommon, every few years this happens. Unfortunately the Amatoxins are heat stable, so cooking them doesn't destroy them. It used to be thought that they only grew with Oak trees, but that is not the case. It's doubly unfortunate they look like some edible field mushrooms. They deserve their name 'Death cap'

I've not got a problem with poisonous mushrooms being a possible cause of this incident. I just keep seeing 'the media is saying' or 'where they have reported to have identified Amatoxins' without providing a link.

This is from the latest article in the Age.

Detective Inspector Dean Thomas, head of the homicide squad, said it was unclear if the mushrooms were even in the dish. And "that the deaths are really unexplained."​

It's not safe to forage for Mushrooms.

It's safe if you know what you're doing. For example, Saffron milk caps are quite distinctive. They are almost impossible to cultivate so the ones you find in farmer's markets for $50 a kilo are all foraged.

Yeah foraging for mushrooms can be safe but you really need to study up and take all possible precautions. That said, I wouldn’t do it. Used to pick a heap of the trippy variety up until 5 years or so ago but now that I’ve got no interest in that I’m not going to take a punt.

Anyway this is really odd, I think she has poisoned them but the conflicting media stories are confusing as hell. I do think that the amotoxin thing is true but it reads as if she ate the exact same meal. Is it possible to extract the toxins? If that’s the case she could’ve given those 4 dishes a spray just before she served them and left hers alone. But yeah I don’t know if that’s even possible

Maybe she just doesn’t like mushrooms? 🍄
What I gleaned from the copper doing the press conference was that they were under the impression that she was the only one to eat the offending dish and not fall ill. She may have offered that up in her interview. Like I posted earlier I’m interested to know if she’s maybe blitzed the mushrooms or something and put them onto the other 4 dishes just before serving. They mentioned that the kids ate something different, but not her.

What I will say though is I really am sick of the media being able to get away with turning up at people’s houses and accosting them on national television before they’ve been charged with anything. I mean I think she did it but what if she hasn’t? There needs to be laws passed against this kind of s**t and these jackals dealt with.

I think she did it, and she doesn’t seem very bright, so I think we will see an arrest by the end of the week.

She also comes across as mentally ill. And before I get attacked for that comment, in my past I had episodes of mental illness and was admitted to psych wards a number of times. She reminds me of patients I’ve come across over the years.

All just my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sus. Why was she the only one didn't fall ill? She didn't eat them because she didn't like them? Sorry but I have never made something for someone else that I myself didn't like.

She’s already defending herself before anyone’s even accused her. That’s always a pretty ordinary sign.
She's been questioned at length by the police, she would know how the situation would look. I hope it has been an accident but let them do their investigation before condemning her.

What I gleaned from the copper doing the press conference was that they were under the impression that she was the only one to eat the offending dish and not fall ill. She may have offered that up in her interview. Like I posted earlier I’m interested to know if she’s maybe blitzed the mushrooms or something and put them onto the other 4 dishes just before serving. They mentioned that the kids ate something different, but not her.

What I will say though is I really am sick of the media being able to get away with turning up at people’s houses and accosting them on national television before they’ve been charged with anything. I mean I think she did it but what if she hasn’t? There needs to be laws passed against this kind of s**t and these jackals dealt with.
I’m with you on the media a bunch of parasites. I reckon if you asked them they would say we are doing the public a service and it’s our right to harass and accost people so we can put it on tv

I’m with you on the media a bunch of parasites. I reckon if you asked them they would say we are doing the public a service and it’s our right to harass and accost people so we can put it on tv
Yeah it really is beyond a joke. I just think back to that poor bloke who that all media outlets hounded when he was a person of interest RE the William Tyrell case, he’d done nothing and as a result of the hounding his life is more or less over. No amount of compensation can make up for that.

Yeah it really is beyond a joke. I just think back to that poor bloke who that all media outlets hounded when he was a person of interest RE the William Tyrell case, he’d done nothing and as a result of the hounding his life is more or less over. No amount of compensation can make up for that.
They couldn’t care less if they ruin someone’s life all they want is a story, headline.it’s a friggin joke what they get away with

Just give the pesky journo bellends the Mal Brown response :

It's not safe to forage for Mushrooms.

It definitely is. Even an amateur forager can identify death cap mushrooms if they're being careful. Even in saying that - two of our most common edible mushrooms (slippery jacks and safron milk caps) would never be mistaken for a death cap, for example.

It's a very suspicious story imo

I think she did it, and she doesn’t seem very bright, so I think we will see an arrest by the end of the week.

She also comes across as mentally ill. And before I get attacked for that comment, in my past I had episodes of mental illness and was admitted to psych wards a number of times. She reminds me of patients I’ve come across over the years.

All just my opinion.
Given her ex had something similar a year ago and after watching her interview crying I got the impression it wasn't genuine. Certainly not accusing her of anything just relaying my gut feelings. Let the Homicide Police work it out. Something was found at the tip possibly related, a food dehydrator. Also agree on her observation not being quite right but I'm confident the Police will establish what happened most likely after re-interviewing her and after processing evidence. The fact she cooked and didn't get sick but all the others did is also strange IMO.

Given her ex had something similar a year ago and after watching her interview crying I got the impression it wasn't genuine. Certainly not accusing her of anything just relaying my gut feelings. Let the Homicide Police work it out. Something was found at the tip possibly related, a food dehydrator. Also agree on her observation not being quite right but I'm confident the Police will establish what happened most likely after re-interviewing her and after processing evidence. The fact she cooked and didn't get sick but all the others did is also strange IMO.
Heard on the radio this morning that food dehydrator was thrown away the very next day after the lunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back