Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

A player who fit your needs perfectly but had 2 years to run on a contract at his current club, decided he wanted to leave because of the saga*, then giving up a substandard deal when there were two others in play.

*may not be the real reason (money/inability to keep in pants more likely)
yeah but whats the got to do with port?

We offered what we though was a fair deal under the circumstances.

Inducement of a player to break his contract.

Will inevitably bit you an the arse. When the shoe is on the other foot, Port, as one of the weaker clubs in the game will be gutted by the stronger clubs.
we didnt induce s**t. He signalled he wanted out before we approached him.

I detest Port, I did feel sorry for them up until Kochie came along ... living in SA probably makes it worse.

Agree though, have all the time in the world for Gussie, Ryder can get stuffed.

can i ask what the exploitation is?

A player who fit our needs perfectly became available. Where exactly did we go wrong?
He was contracted to Essendon. You guys sold him a few promises and stood firm on a substandard deal.

Paddy left for personal reasons and used this saga as an excuse. Your club also played that card.

As has been stated it is probably a foolish move for a small club like Port to kick a club of Essendons size when it was down.

He was contracted to Essendon. You guys sold him a few promises and stood firm on a substandard deal.

Paddy left for personal reasons and used this saga as an excuse. Your club also played that card.

As has been stated it is probably a foolish move for a small club like Port to kick a club of Essendons size when it was down.
i would say that essendon fans had unrealistic expectations regarding the deal.

I think il bit my tongue and leave you guys to it. Good luck for the year

we didnt induce s**t. He signalled he wanted out before we approached him.

Bullshit.

Its well known that ALL clubs talking to him (GWS/Sydney/Brisbane as well) were keen to have him explore the ooga booga clause as an inducement to Essendon to release him.

yeah but whats the got to do with port?

We offered what we though was a fair deal under the circumstances.
No you refused to offer parity for a contracted player because you knew the public would heap pressure on Essendon due to the current circumstances.

If anything you should pay overs for a contracted player.

I'm still spewing the club didn't stand firm and retire him for two years.

Bullshit.

Its well known that ALL clubs talking to him (GWS/Sydney/Brisbane as well) were keen to have him explore the ooga booga clause as an inducement to Essendon to release him.
and we ended up giving you our first and second rounders. The best we had to offer. No ooga booga clause

and we ended up giving you our first and second rounders. The best we had to offer. No ooga booga clause

And it wasn't enough.

Eventually the club yielded due to PR concerns and released him.

Cooler heads than mine prevailed, because had it been me I would have made the prick try his luck triggering that clause.

i would say that essendon fans had unrealistic expectations regarding the deal.

I think il bit my tongue and leave you guys to it. Good luck for the year
You guys rate a unique ruckman coming into his prime as the key to winning a flag on one hand but on the other thought pick 19 would be enough.

Let's be honest here, if Paddy went to the right club he would be of greater value to a side than Beams would be.

That said I don't think he did go to the right club. Much to my frustration when he was here he isn't mentally capable of turning his physical talents into being the forward you would expect. He gets bored there. In my eyes he should be second behind only Buddy as a forward when you put his pace, leap, marking, kicking and ability below his knees together.

At Port either Paddy will be wasted up forward or you trade Lobbe. Trading Lobbe would be the smart move because you'd have unbelievable run through the middle.

Paddy was valuable to Essendon because he was our pace in the middle. With our big bodied but slow midfielders it important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it wasn't enough.

Eventually the club yielded due to PR concerns and released him.

Cooler heads than mine prevailed, because had it been me I would have made the prick try his luck triggering that clause.

It would've been a great path to take if the club wasn't in the most dire need of public and internal rehabilitation that a football club has ever needed, and I include C**ton in the early '00s in that.

I am not as upset now since we got Langford.

But Ryder was easily worth a first round pick and a first 22 player
Which we did get?

You guys rate a unique ruckman coming into his prime as the key to winning a flag on one hand but on the other thought pick 19 would be enough.

Let's be honest here, if Paddy went to the right club he would be of greater value to a side than Beams would be.

That said I don't think he did go to the right club. Much to my frustration when he was here he isn't mentally capable of turning his physical talents into being the forward you would expect. He gets bored there. In my eyes he should be second behind only Buddy as a forward when you put his pace, leap, marking, kicking and ability below his knees together.

At Port either Paddy will be wasted up forward or you trade Lobbe. Trading Lobbe would be the smart move because you'd have unbelievable run through the middle.

Paddy was valuable to Essendon because he was our pace in the middle. With our big bodied but slow midfielders it important.
we wont be trading lobbe. Especially seeing what sandilands did to us on the weekend.

I am aware that he works best when hes the number 1 ruck. But thats part of the challenge for us. I am hoping for a cox/natnui relationship in terms of time forward and in the ruck

I am not as upset now since we got Langford.

But Ryder was easily worth a first round pick and a first 22 player

No doubt. But obviously his value decreased at the very possible chance of him being banned. Thankfully sense prevailed and ASADA had nothing. It could very well of backfired for Port. But yes since the non guilty verdict Port paid unders.

Rubbish. You didn't have a lot of draft picks to offer but that is why you have to give up a player.

Port fans don't seem to realise it but Essendon are as close to striking as they are. The difference being we've operated under the fallout of our supplement program and some injuries to key players. All the while Port have had a dream run with injuries.

The fitness and confidence that comes from consistently training and playing can evaporate quickly if you guys have an injury run that nearly every other top 8 side from last year had to deal with.

So you guys come and take one of our stars and offered pick 19 in return. The only reason we get something out of this is because Carlton are a bunch of fools and Bulldogs were going for full rebuild.

Very disappointed to lose Paddy - but I reckon you're being a bit harsh on the bloke. After what the club has put the players through, do you expect the players to put the interests of the club before their own personal interests?

I will always support the EFC, but the way the club has treated the players is a disgrace - only the loyalty to each other will keep this playing group together. If Paddy didn't feel the love for and from the playing group for whatever reason, then it's a far better thing that he plays somewhere else - and I say good luck to him, and I hope he gets nothing other than respect and support from the Essendon faithful.

We wronged you Paddy, I hope you can forgive us.
Oh, and your player agent is a total campaigner.
Don't expect me to forgive that prick.

Gotta tell ya, I find it weak and distasteful.

But the way in which he did it was the act of a weak bitch.

First, his representation made his intentions known in the weak leading up to our final. That was flat out, stone cold, piss poor.

I don't have the time of day for this selfish, self-centred prick though, hope your career amounts to nothing.

No doubt. But obviously his value decreased at the very possible chance of him being banned. Thankfully sense prevailed and ASADA had nothing. It could very well of backfired for Port. But yes since the non guilty verdict Port paid unders.
But that was your issue. We weren't considering that in our evaluation.

But that was your issue. We weren't considering that in our evaluation.

No doubt. But if clubs that wanted him were considering that and Ryder wanted to leave then Essendon were at a disadvantage. Was hard to ignore the fact that the guy could have been banned for a significant amount of time. It simply lowered his value.

Last edited:
Rubbish. You didn't have a lot of draft picks to offer but that is why you have to give up a player.

Port fans don't seem to realise it but Essendon are as close to striking as they are. The difference being we've operated under the fallout of our supplement program and some injuries to key players. All the while Port have had a dream run with injuries.

The fitness and confidence that comes from consistently training and playing can evaporate quickly if you guys have an injury run that nearly every other top 8 side from last year had to deal with.

So you guys come and take one of our stars and offered pick 19 in return. The only reason we get something out of this is because Carlton are a bunch of fools and Bulldogs were going for full rebuild.
We're 2 years behind Port. We also took pick 17, not 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back