Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder off crutches, moving well. Is rated a 65% chance of playing.

Perhaps you plan to play him for a half and then sub him off..?

Ryder off crutches, moving well. Is rated a 65% chance of playing.

Perhaps you plan to play him for a half and then sub him off..?
Nah, it's better we have him play most of the game if he does play

Nah, it's better we have him play most of the game if he does play

I'm kinda meh about it.. I would prefer to have him spot on for Freo rather than risk going into a dangerous run of games without a ruck tbh..

Glad they have come out early and just ruled him out. Allows the team to prepare for Plan B. Hopefully this means he will be right for Freo.

Don't know if you take Thurlow or just try to nullify Warnock around the ground and concede the taps..

Its only Carlton/Warnock.

Might as well give Thurlow a run.

I wouldn't say Hurley is s**t forward, he's definitely better down back but he's not completely useless :p

I don't like the idea of having Carlisle/Daniher in the ruck though. We need to get our forward line settled.

Glad they have come out early and just ruled him out. Allows the team to prepare for Plan B. Hopefully this means he will be right for Freo.

Don't know if you take Thurlow or just try to nullify Warnock around the ground and concede the taps..

Think it takes a proper ruckman to genuinely nullify another ruck.

is warnock even worth worrying much about? i doubt he will have a big impact on the game regardless of who essendon play in ruck. having paddy out hurts us because i feel he would have dominated against warnock..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you set up to defend the taps.. then you can nullify the effect of an opposition ruckman.. hence why the 'hit outs to advantage' is usually a very small % of the 'hit outs' stat..

If you set up to defend the taps.. then you can nullify the effect of an opposition ruckman.. hence why the 'hit outs to advantage' is usually a very small % of the 'hit outs' stat..

True.

And one needs to find a measure of how effective the hitout to advantage is for the team. It's a bit like inside 50 - Some entries are more effective than others.

True.

And one needs to find a measure of how effective the hitout to advantage is for the team. It's a bit like inside 50 - Some entries are more effective than others.

Spot on.. as Melbourne shows.. you can have a heap of stats that don't translate to scores.. same with ruck hits.. no point Warnock tapping it if it is sharked by Watson and Co.

why not bring pears in to allow hurley go forward and have carlisle/daniher rotate in the ruck/forward

We finally have a forwardline....and now you want to put Hurley there where he was very ordinary. He is a backman who can pinch hit forward...he is not a forward who can pinch hit in the backline!

It's not as simple as just setting up defensively. The defensive set up requires the defenders' ruckman to be able to impact the ruck contest enough to restrict the opposition's hitting zone. I don't think Carlisle is technically capable of it and Daniher would struggle to be physically capable of it.

A bit worried about the lack of progress in Ryder's ankle. It's been 5 full days (to end Wednesday). If there is no structural damage, it should have improved by now, surely.
I hope it's not one of those instances you hear of every now and then where the scan fails to show anything, then later they have to do more tests to try to identify what is wrong.
Fingers crossed.
He is a vital player in both the forward setup and for our clearances. (TBC still up to 6 wks away)

Would that Christian Bock fellow still be a twig?

r.i.p stickman
Probably depends on if he got any of the good gear off his brother. I'm talking about the performance enhancing drugs that were taken. By a gold cost player. Banned performance enhancing drugs under the wada code.

Or he could've just given up the footy dream and got his drugs from his mum instead.

Would that Christian Bock fellow still be a twig?

r.i.p stickman
2s9um53.jpg

Was last seen running around in a Grand Final appearance for the Cohuna Kangas in the Central Murray Football Netball League in 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back