Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news. I want him to be properly alright to play, though- no point taking him in this early in the season and risking damage if the alternative is a single week off.
The position he plays means he must be 100% right before we send him out, if it isn't right then he could struggle to get any leap in his ruck work which would really render him pretty much useless anyway.

the scum aren't that tall across the park either, so its not the worst week for him to miss (if its only 1).
Kreuzer missed last week from memory, anyone know if he's out this week as well??

the scum aren't that tall across the park either, so its not the worst week for him to miss (if its only 1).
Kreuzer missed last week from memory, anyone know if he's out this week as well??

Rumour is he could need foot surgery, but may play through the pain, if he gets up for this week

I've heard that he's out for 6-8 weeks.

Mackay doesn't sound quite as confident as Kreuzer.

Also:

But the news was better for ruckman Paddy Ryder, who may still be fit to face Carlton on Sunday.

Ryder rolled his ankle in the Bombers' loss to Hawthorn last week, but scans revealed no major damage.

"We hope we can get him up for Sunday but at this stage it is going to be close and with a nine day break we will decide later in the week," club doctor Bruce Reid told the Essendon website.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-31/dempseys-hamstring-blow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you have a better suggestion?
The alternative is to play one of Daniher (still a beanpole and not ready), Carlisle (would destroy our structure) or Hooker (our best KPD) in the ruck.

All rob us significantly.

If Ryder doesn't play, promoting Thurlow makes by far the most sense for team structure.

I'd be more comfortable if they brought Thurlow in and let Ryder have the week off. Too important to risk making his ankle worse. Its only one game and there's no reason we can't win it without him anyway. We would only be missing Ryder/Bellchambers/Dempsey from our best 22 so it will be a quality squad against Carlton (assuming return of Melksham/Winderlich).

Plus I don't want to see what will happen if we play Freo with Joe Daniher/Carlisle rucking. Give him the week off - make sure he's right for the next one.

i'm confident he'll play. As someone who's done all degrees of injuries to my ankles, the fact that he came off under his own steam + it's a 9 day break + first class treatment + strapping on the day + a jab = he'll play ( in my mind)

I'd play Carlisle and JD in the ruck. Bring in Winderlich and play him as a deep forward. Like the idea of a smaller mobile forward line. And as Fish correctly points out, JD and Carlisle are more comfortable as high forwards rather than tall forwards. It's worth a try.

We played 3 debutants against North Melbourne and I'd say we did pretty well.
That's what bottom-8 opposition is for.

If any of you had read the chain you'd realise that Thurlow was my suggestion....

Thurlow could get called up I guess... who would've thought at the end of last year we'd be going into R3 with no fit rucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back