Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

He was never that bad. It was more like 8-9s and then 6-7s.

This is his best year to be sure.
Reckon you might be forgetting just how bad his bad was. I'd say Kong was about right.

His consistency now is fantastic to see.

Just like Wells for Norf it's taken a while for his consistency/effort to click.
And just like Wells "when he's on" Paddy's skill set blows others playing the same position to the weeds.

Reckon you might be forgetting just how bad his bad was. I'd say Kong was about right.

His consistency now is fantastic to see.

I'd love you go go back through the past few seasons of his and pick out 10 bad games. Average, sure, but Ryder's average has always been skewed by how good his good is.

Would he be in the top 5 ruckman in the league??

Can take a grab, very sure of himself in front of goal, mobile around the ground.

And he remains cometative against the leagues best ruckmen most of the time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.

He doesn't ever really play bad football.

I can only think of a handful, and at least half of those is not most were because he was injured in the game, or was called back from injury during our 2012 crisis when he was nowhere near fit.

The only thing that hasn't improved for him this year is his set shot kicking. He has missed a couple of easy ones.

He is top five ruckman in the league in 2014 for sure.
As far as ruckman go, theres not to many surer bets around the league than Paddy

You do wonder how many of the media watch a lot of games closely, if they are going to bother coming out to make big statements.

League Teams last night was doing the Essendon preview and they mentioned Ryder. I expected it to be how he has finally come of age as a consistent performer. Instead they all proceeded to take a big, collective, steamy dump on his career to date, saying he is an unfulfilled talent etc. Now that may have been true in the past, but he's been great this year, I'd have thought, and the lack of recognition was a bit surprising.

You do wonder how many of the media watch a lot of games closely, if they are going to bother coming out to make big statements.

League Teams last night was doing the Essendon preview and they mentioned Ryder. I expected it to be how he has finally come of age as a consistent performer. Instead they all proceeded to take a big, collective, steamy dump on his career to date, saying he is an unfulfilled talent etc. Now that may have been true in the past, but he's been great this year, I'd have thought, and the lack of recognition was a bit surprising.
I was watching that too and just threw my hands up and turned it off.

Ryder always steps up against Richmond, I think he thrives on the dreamtime expectations and then feels good against playing Richmond later in the year as a result. Consistently dominates against them, especially since Maric can't get that high.

Would have to come close to at least the AA squad at seasons end. Has been by far his most consistent year of his career!

I'm a Paddy fan but one thing that has been an issue for reckon the last 6-7 weeks ( it may have occurred before but I didn't notice it) is his penchant for the reverse tap out the back....

Fine when we are deep forward but anywhere else on the ground it opens us right up if we miss it....and I reckon in the last 6-7 games we've been opened up this way 2-3 times every week. Has cost us goals at times but couldn't say how many. Just needs to be more discerning with this and shelve it for right place, right time....otherwise it'll cost us big time at some point.

Put on a clinic at times tonight..... Awesome ruckwork but as mentioned we always try for that perfect tap to the running hepp/zaka at full tilt, when it comes off (lots) it looks brill, but when it misses the whole left by the departing runner leaves us exposed at the back of the stoppage, those Richmond guys revelled in it

Thoughts on his game last night? Felt like he might have been sore the first half, worked his way into it a little more in the second half. But tough workout for him last night against the eagles ruck combination.

Thoughts on his game last night? Felt like he might have been sore the first half, worked his way into it a little more in the second half. But tough workout for him last night against the eagles ruck combination.
I'm hearing ya, would love to lighten his work load over next 2 weeks but how??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back