30 players to watch in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Paige, how many Eastern Ranges (apart from The Weed) do you envision will feature in many phantom drafts next year?
Also, can Essendon do a Jett Bewick and Tom Wallis double?

P.s. can't believe we're talking about prospects born in 1997.
I was in prep when they were born.

You mean the way the Pies got Moore on the cheap? Or are you convieniently forgetting that, or how about your scholarship players. My goodness you are whinging for less that a handful of players, who cares.

Father/Sons are not every single year like the Academies will have.

Swans could have 2 top 5 Prospects in the Draft Pool in 2 years with giving up a Pick outside the top 15.

That does not sound Fair at all

Father/Sons are not every single year like the Academies will have.

Swans could have 2 top 5 Prospects in the Draft Pool in 2 years with giving up a Pick outside the top 15.

That does not sound Fair at all

So what! It won't happen every year and we Paid overs for the other two. The academy is critical as these players would be on another sport without them. We are paying a first rounder! Not like the Hawkins fiasco.

So what! It won't happen every year and we Paid overs for the other two. The academy is critical as these players would be on another sport without them. We are paying a first rounder! Not like the Hawkins fiasco.

Might not be every single year. But we will have Drafts like with Heeney and will happen more then Father/Sons Prospect being Rated that High for other Clubs.

Other Clubs get Your Rejects from the Academy

Might not be every single year. But we will have Drafts like with Heeney and will happen more then Father/Sons Prospect being Rated that High for other Clubs.

Other Clubs get Your Rejects from the Academy

So you mean 2 drafts in 10 years, oh poor didums. You are whinging for three players. It won't kill the AFL without them in the draft pool. You are making themselves out to be the next Garry Ablett- we are still giving a high pick away

Hard to plug a top five at this stage, my rankings at the moment probably sit;

Mills
Mathieson
Ahh Chee
O'Kearney
Keays

But there is so much fluctuation that, that 'ranking' can only be taken with a grain of salt.

Cant see Ah Chee in top 5, he is a medium forward only at this stage.
Really hasn't shown any midfield ability at all, that may change next year then he could
be a top 5, but would have to change his game and become a midfield threat.
Mark Lecras is a good comparison Ah Chee as more pace though.

Greg Clarke is very skinny, and his overhead marking is actually poor, gets into space well,
uses it well and his production is high.

Kade Stewart is going to be very good, should be WA's top draft pick, if he continues to improve.
He is classy kid.

Above two training with west coast this week.

You mean the way the Pies got Moore on the cheap? Or are you convieniently forgetting that, or how about your scholarship players. My goodness you are whinging for less that a handful of players, who cares.

Are you trying to suggest that the Academies are not a massive advantage?

They are not. Being in Sydney we have disadvantages as well works both ways

So it's not an advantage because Sydney also has disadvantages? I know you don't understand how ridiculous that sounds.

It's a rort, plain and simple. Just as the COLA did, it's designed to give the Northern states clubs an advantage over the rest of the competition with the hope to boost ratings and make more money. Basically the integrity of the competition has been damaged to make our sponsors happy. The obtain to identify top line talent and have them training within the Sydney program for years prior to them getting drafted is a massive advantage.

And the argument that they wouldn't be playing AFL without the academies is a crock. So what? Why damage the integrity of the competition because of a couple of kids? The sooner we get rid of the corrupt officials who allow this crap to occur the better. The only way it could possibly work is to allow every club to do the same thing, but we all know that won't happen because it will take away their advantage over the rest of the competition. This is the reason why any premiership won by these clubs will always have a * next to it.

So it's not an advantage because Sydney also has disadvantages? I know you don't understand how ridiculous that sounds.

It's a rort, plain and simple. Just as the COLA did, it's designed to give the Northern states clubs an advantage over the rest of the competition with the hope to boost ratings and make more money. Basically the integrity of the competition has been damaged to make our sponsors happy. The obtain to identify top line talent and have them training within the Sydney program for years prior to them getting drafted is a massive advantage.

And the argument that they wouldn't be playing AFL without the academies is a crock. So what? Why damage the integrity of the competition because of a couple of kids? The sooner we get rid of the corrupt officials who allow this crap to occur the better. The only way it could possibly work is to allow every club to do the same thing, but we all know that won't happen because it will take away their advantage over the rest of the competition. This is the reason why any premiership won by these clubs will always have a * next to it.
Also what makes the NSW and QLD teams so special and why not the WA teams as well then? more travelling than any other teams in the comp. If this were the case then Harley Bennell, David Swallow, Stephen Coniglio, Jess Hogan, Jack Martin Jaeger O'meara etc. would all be playing for WA teams now.

Also what makes the NSW and QLD teams so special and why not the WA teams as well then? more travelling than any other teams in the comp. If this were the case then Harley Bennell, David Swallow, Stephen Coniglio, Jess Hogan, Jack Martin Jaeger O'meara etc. would all be playing for WA teams now.

It's a good point. Having academies for select clubs is basically cheating, legalised cheating, designed to favour those clubs.

It's a good point. Having academies for select clubs is basically cheating, legalised cheating, designed to favour those clubs.
I just don't think it should be available for any club. I think if there is academies then that's great but all of the players should still have to enter the draft like any other player hopeful of playing in the AFL. I'm all for the clubs having academies and training young players up and keeping them in aussie rules but that's where it should stop. If they make the decision to play footy then they will play where they are picked to play, whether it be NSW, WA, Vic etc. They should just be grateful to be playing a professional sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are the best small forwards of this draft?

You're a Melbourne supporter complaining about legalised cheating? And hilarity ensued...

You said it yourself, we (clubs in non-traditional markets) have disadvantages and this is a way to try and even that up.

I think Keays will most likely slide down in the ranking as most have in the past few years. Dawson and Hammelmann were thought of quite highly at similar early stages but went 2nd round (ostensibly) and in the rookie draft respectively.

Ahh... I see we're back on the that old topic of Academies again. *yawn*

I just don't think it should be available for any club. I think if there is academies then that's great but all of the players should still have to enter the draft like any other player hopeful of playing in the AFL. I'm all for the clubs having academies and training young players up and keeping them in aussie rules but that's where it should stop. If they make the decision to play footy then they will play where they are picked to play, whether it be NSW, WA, Vic etc. They should just be grateful to be playing a professional sport.

I agree - No Clubs should have Academies. Or IF teams have them then All Teams should have them and They can Sign Players from the Non-Big AFL States in VIC,SA and WA but kids from other States are open game

Ahh... I see we're back on the that old topic of Academies again. *yawn*

Well - It’s giving the Northern States a Leg-Up.

Plus 2 of your top 5 Prospects are from Acadamies

Who are the best small forwards of this draft?

JACKSON VOLPATO!!! ;)

Also Paige, what are your thoughts on Nick Dodge from Tassie as a small forward type? Kicked 5 in a Champs game this year and looks like he could be one of the top Tassie draftees next year, he's a small forward that I'll be keeping my eye on

It's a rort, plain and simple. Just as the COLA did, it's designed to give the Northern states clubs an advantage over the rest of the competition... The sooner we get rid of the corrupt officials who allow this crap to occur the better.
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Melbourne being given priority picks? Or the afl poaching Roos by paying him a small fortune on Melbourne's behalf? Is it ok for a team to get an advantage because they suck balls, but not because they're developing the game at a grass roots level in new markets?

On topic, I really enjoyed the write up. Mills sounds like a gem.

Last edited:
Ben Keays makes me genuinely excited.

The fact that us getting him is going to annoy the hell out of Eddie/Collingwood/Its fans is icing on the cake.

Of course, for them to get Keays if the academy didnt exist would require them probably finishing bottom 3, something Collingwood would NEVER do.

You're a Melbourne supporter complaining about legalised cheating? And hilarity ensued...

You said it yourself, we (clubs in non-traditional markets) have disadvantages and this is a way to try and even that up.

I think Keays will most likely slide down in the ranking as most have in the past few years. Dawson and Hammelmann were thought of quite highly at similar early stages but went 2nd round (ostensibly) and in the rookie draft respectively.

Coming from a club worse premierships were bought by the AFL, give me a break.

Every club has disadvantages and advantages, however not every club is given unfair advantages over the rest of the competition. It's an absolute joke and hilarious that their supporters try to dismiss it.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Melbourne being given priority picks? Or the afl poaching Roos by paying him a small fortune on Melbourne's behalf? Is it ok for a team to get an advantage because they suck balls, but not because they're developing the game at a grass roots level in new markets?

On topic, I really enjoyed the write up. Mills sounds like a gem.

Why is it ok for the Northern clubs to receive priority picks but not Melbourne clubs?

This is were your knowledge falls apart.

The Priority picks was a system open to any club, if they were only available to Melbourne based clubs then they would be grossly unfair.

Paul Roos was contracted to Sydney, when they decided to cut his salary by more than half he then decided to leave. Don't try to rewrite history, the only reason why Roos is not in control of your academy and coaching us is because of the Swans.

To answer your question no, if only a couple of clubs have access to an unfair advantage then it most certainly is not ok.

Anyway, enough of this Academy talk, back to the topic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back