Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day, every decision becomes a judgement call. And you can have all the hard objective data you were able to gather in front of you and still get it wrong for any number of reasons. As I said in an earlier post, it's Hardwick that lives or dies by his decisions as senior coach so the final decision on player listings and match strategy must be his. Reading TRIB's posts show we are only seeing part of a much bigger picture. And Conca may surprise us all and be a late developer like Rance. Right now he is recovering from injury with a view to forcing a place in a much stronger Richmond side. I hope he learns from the last couple of years, gives it his best shot and rewards Dimma for the faith place in him on draft day.
For all the metrics clubs use to identify junior talent, it is not an exact science and you can never know how these players will adapt to senior footy, injuries or not.

I don't rate him and wouldn't have him best 22 at the moment, but then again my best 22 is a lot different to what Dimma picks every week. I remember one game against Melbourne in 2012 - I think he had 30+ touches and kicked a couple (1 from outside 50) and I thought that was the day he would kick start his journey to stardom, but unfortunately it hasn't happened as of yet. I think the potential is there for Reece but I don't think he will fulfill it at Richmond. I would try and get as many games into him as possible this season and try to force a straight swap with the Eagles for Andrew Gaff, who in my opinion would flourish playing back home in Melbourne and at a team on the rise like Richmond.
Imo Gaff is a down hill skier who is so outside its not funny. no thanks for me.

Interesting post. I'd heard he was tipped to go 15-20 by many, but a late second rounder? That's pick 35-45.
15-20 is accurate as most had him high teens till the weekend before the draft when Emma Quayle first put him at our pick.

He was training the house down till his last injury, was confident that he and Batch were both going to have a great year. Let's hope he can still show it.

For all the metrics clubs use to identify junior talent, it is not an exact science and you can never know how these players will adapt to senior footy, injuries or not.
Agree to an extent. The thing is the 'science' is enabling clubs to get high success rate with their picks inside the top 10. However, if you look at the 2011,12,13 drafts there are one or top 10 picks that are probably where Conca is at, or worse.
They were all considered 'top 10' picks though, and that's what frustrates many Tiger supporters' Conca in the weeks coming in (before the last 2) was not mentioned.
I seem to remember Polak being on our radar and thought we would take him. I was actually at the draft and was sitting there and heard his name read out by Brisbane the pick before.
I started looking the possible 4-5 players I thought we'd be interested and before I could do much thinking, Conca's name was read out. Top 10 , top 20, some argue makes no difference. It's up to the individual player. All true....an inside warrior who can stay relatively injury free for midfield depth is what all top teams need. Let's hope over the next 5-6 years he becomes that.

It is more that the expectation on him was higher than what he produced over the last two years. He was 6th overall in the 2010 draft
No he wasn't. Heppell was clearly and obviously 6th overall in the real world draft. Conca was 6th overall in another draft, the one where you make decisions because it's cool to be 'left-field' and surprise Emma Quayle.

No he wasn't. Heppell was clearly and obviously 6th overall in the real world draft. Conca was 6th overall in another draft, the one where you make decisions because it's cool to be 'left-field' and surprise Emma Quayle.
Lol I guess so. Ah Richmond, why u do dis

Agree to an extent. The thing is the 'science' is enabling clubs to get high success rate with their picks inside the top 10. However, if you look at the 2011,12,13 drafts there are one or top 10 picks that are probably where Conca is at, or worse.
They were all considered 'top 10' picks though, and that's what frustrates many Tiger supporters' Conca in the weeks coming in (before the last 2) was not mentioned.
I seem to remember Polak being on our radar and thought we would take him. I was actually at the draft and was sitting there and heard his name read out by Brisbane the pick before.
I started looking the possible 4-5 players I thought we'd be interested and before I could do much thinking, Conca's name was read out. Top 10 , top 20, some argue makes no difference. It's up to the individual player. All true....an inside warrior who can stay relatively injury free for midfield depth is what all top teams need. Let's hope over the next 5-6 years he becomes that.
It was known the day before the draft we were taking Conca when he was flown over from WA much to most of our chagrin.

We have no choice but to persist with him now. His upside is worth more than a trade.

If he can get his body right he will be a good midfielder for us and a defensive one at that. His body is the worry...not his talent.

Funny because we didn't take Heppell due to injury concerns.

Get Reece fit and able then we add a very nice player to our midfield. I reckon they might just be rushing him. Or he is just an easily injured player. Sucks anyway, because he has talent and can't show it. If this pick is a bust it is injury rather than the player. :cry:

Get Reece fit and able then we add a very nice player to our midfield. I reckon they might just be rushing him. Or he is just an easily injured player. Sucks anyway, because he has talent and can't show it. If this pick is a bust it is injury rather than the player. :cry:

Will be crucial in the run home. We need his inside game when the heat is on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was known the day before the draft we were taking Conca when he was flown over from WA much to most of our chagrin.
I didn't follow it that closely except as I said in the post before, I didn't think he was considered top 15 a week before the draft, so he wasn't on my radar as a possibility.

I was sitting in the convention centre thinking we are taking Polec. So when he was read out the pick before, I was wondering who of the 7-8 others I had read about might be it. RICHMOND...R.CONCA. Mmmmm ..who.. JON here we come!

After Conca's first few years I rate him best 22. Has a few deficiencies. Overrated by some IMO. If he keeps Thomas and Petterd out of the side over the second half of the year, I'm happy.

Edit: considering one's LTI and the other's a rookie, that shouldn't be too difficult!

Last edited:
Conca would have been picked up by Gold Coast at the next pick if we hadn't taken him. We weren't the only club that rated him.

Caddy / Prestia...if we can get Conca on the park for an extended time, he would probably have a similar impact to these two. Prestia may be cleaner/better decision maker. Caddy doesn't impress me much.

Grimes had a few seasons cruelled by injury, but *knock on wood* he's over the hump and is now a solid member of the back six. Here's hoping our own Cuddles Conca also has the worst behind him and gets some solid game time in the future.

Last edited:
Being injured Has given him plenty of leisure time in the Coburg TAB
Old postman Mick told him that he better pull his finger out bc he will struggle to get a gig in this side as some kids are showing some promise
i giggled as Reece was agreeing politely with him and gave him a wink and said,"I think Newman wants to hold you out for another year Reece .Forget about the kids ";)

Old postman Mick told him that he better pull his finger out bc he will struggle to get a gig in this side as some kids are showing some promise
i giggled as Reece was agreeing politely with him and gave him a wink and said,"I think Newman wants to hold you out for another year Reece .Forget about the kids ";)
A true pro.

I have also seen Reece having midweek froffies and punts on the dishlickers, at the TAB in Thornbury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back