Toast 300 for Cal Ward

Remove this Banner Ad

He has done well to make it with all his injuries, when people talk about all the luck the Bulldogs get with the draft ect they forget we couldn't do anything to keep the Giants from getting him and it was a big loss at the time.

He has done well to make it with all his injuries, when people talk about all the luck the Bulldogs get with the draft ect they forget we couldn't do anything to keep the Giants from getting him and it was a big loss at the time.
Actually all the talk at the time, and what came out later, was the dogs shortchanged him banking on his loyalty. He supposedly asked for only a few 1000 more and he would have stayed but the Dogs refused.
Sure it’s somewhere here or on google.

Serious question …. You got Macrae as compensation for Ward leaving …. Who would you rather have had?

Serious question …. You got Macrae as compensation for Ward leaving …. Who would you rather have had?
I know you weren't asking me, but I think Jack Macrae has had a more accomplished career, but I think there's a genuine case for us to be better and far harder team with Ward over the long run.

Actually all the talk at the time, and what came out later, was the dogs shortchanged him banking on his loyalty. He supposedly asked for only a few 1000 more and he would have stayed but the Dogs refused.
Sure it’s somewhere here or on google.

Fair while ago now, but my recollection is that he was willing to re-sign a year or so before the giants came in, but our idiot footy manager at the time (James Fantasia) neglected his duties to do so knowing that the Gold Coast and the Giants were coming in armed with cash and would be targeting players like Ward.

Our coach at the time Rodney Eade was filthy about it and remains so to this day.

I was shattered to lose Callan, great player, even better bloke, had him ear marked to be a future captain, but certainly don’t blame him for leaving.

Congrats to him on making 300.

As mentioned, he’s had quite a few horror injuries, so great achievement to make 300, and he’s more than continued being a great player for the giants since he left us.

Quiet achiever, just gets the job done.

Seems to be one of footy’s nice guys.

Good on Ward for making 300. Water under the bridge when it comes to leaving, he’s been a good honest hard working player through his career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a case of one player has had the better career and the other was a better player.

Macrae had durability and if you make finals he will most likely be in the team when it matters.

Ward was a better player but if you make finals and his not there through injury then he loses more value than Macrae.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back