Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Hypothetically speaking, Wood clearly outperforms Black on Sat'day. Who would pick Wood over Black for the final?

Hypothetically speaking, Wood clearly outperforms Black on Sat'day. Who would pick Wood over Black for the final?

Have to go with Wood.

This is not a slight on Black, who at is best is outstanding. however, this year he has been anything but.

I tipped Black as a smokey for the Coleman this year because he was young and outstanding last year, sigh.

Let the kids play, if he is as good as the pundits here say he is, he will grab the role by the throat and never let it go.

Playing Turner AND Wood in the finals might just be that 'x' factor we need to go deep into September. It is not like the team(s) we are going to face know what to expect.

Remember, neither will be experienced enough to show any fear.

Have it lads, and do us proud.

Mason Wood to finally debut?

1381912448-MeanGirls_Fetch.png

So this M Wood....does he even football?

If once upon a time I hadn't seen it with my own eyes in black and white on my trusty old Rank Arena, I would have said he doesn't exist.

But he does and now he has to get used to playing in very strange Royal Blue and White stripes. Just hope he doesn't get confused by the respective club songs.

Yeah not sure where the idea of black or wood has come from. We can play both imo. Think black may even do well with a spell on the wing it's where he seems to lay the majority of his tackles and get the most ball. And he's no slouch kicking i50

Yeah not sure where the idea of black or wood has come from. We can play both imo. Think black may even do well with a spell on the wing it's where he seems to lay the majority of his tackles and get the most ball. And he's no slouch kicking i50
We can say that about Thomas/Nahas/Harvey and Adams when they play the forward/wing role.

Should have happened far earlier, but better late than never.

I wish him the best. Hopefully shows plenty (like Turner) and keeps his spot to further strengthen our "bottom 6" players (at least), which has been one of our weaknesses in recent years.

Probably by the fact that Black (showing little) kept his spot and Wood (showing plenty) kept on being overlooked.

It is a reasonable assumption by posters to think it is one or the other based on continual selection and non-selection in a similar position.

I don't see any reason why we can't play both, in fact I've been calling for it all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not drop Adams and play both.
Reckon he is a lock for the sub in the final. But we are going into the final with our healthiest list for the year, so some of our regulars will have to make way and Adams may be one of them. We can be fairly sure the 5 outs this week are automatic ins (Spud, Levi, LMac, Goldy, and LT), that Wellsy, JMac, and Hansen are best 22s, and if Wood turns it on in his debut, the selectors are going to have a bloody tough job next week. Good position to be in, with many players auditioning for a finals gig. So, I've just wasted a lot of ink to conclude...you may well be right.

It has been Brad suggesting that all year, but he has let go of the structure plan for the Melbourne game a bit, so it will be interesting to see how Wood plays...as a high half-forward/wing or as a marking forward target or a mix of both. You would expect this is just a taster for him and won't play the final, but we have seen the way Brown and Turner have grabbed their opportunities with both hands. And if it is the thing that sparks Black into form then even better. It's pretty much win-win either way. And means Wood won't have huge pressure on him and can enjoy his debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back