Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2007/11/25/2688_ntsport.html

Territory boys continue an AFL tradition
25Nov07

FRIENDLY RIVALS: Cyril Rioli and Marlon Motlop will continue a family tradition of playing in the AFL following the selections to Hawthorn and Port Adelaide respectively in yesterday's draft. Picture: BRAD FLEET
TWO more Territory footballers were inscribed on to the AFL honour board yesterday when Cyril "Junior Boy" Rioli and Marlon Motlop joined Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

Re: Cyril Rioli

Good read Phil :thumbsu:

The boy looks good in the brown and gold, and it's good to hear he is excited by the oppurtunity of playing with some of our other boys.

Bring on 08.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22055023-5012734,00.html

Electrifying Rioli boots seven
By Grey Morris
July 11, 2007
CYRIL Rioli gave his AFL draft prospects a boost yesterday when he booted seven goals for Northern Territory in the under-18 championship match against Queensland at Victoria Park.

Rioli, who turns 18 on Saturday, is the nephew of former Richmond great and 1982 Norm Smith medallist Maurice Rioli and former Essendon stars Dean Rioli and Michael Long.

http://lions.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/5085/Default.aspx?newsId=53325

Top draft prospects: small/medium forwards
7:30 AM Mon 19 November, 2007 | Back
By Jason Phelan
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

Each player's vital statistics are as measured at the NAB AFL Draft Camp, which ran from October 2-5 at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra. The players are listed in no particular order.

Small/Medium Forwards

Cyril Rioli - Northern Territory Thunder, NT, 177.0cm, 78.9kg, DOB 14/07/89

Honours

NAB AFL All-Australian Under-18 Team 2007
Runner up to Craig Bird - Hunter Harrison Medal for the best division-two player in this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.
Northern Territory representative - NAB AFL Under-18 Championships 2007
AIS-AFL Academy graduate
NAB AFL Draft Camp highlights

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2007/11/23/2667_ntsport.html

HOPEFUL: The Rioli Family. Kahlisha, 15, mum Kathy, Cyril "Junior Boy" , 18, and dad Cyril "Junior" have a nervous wait to find out if Junior Boy will make the AFL draft. Picture: DANI GAWLIK

Nervous wait for AFL draft hopefuls
GREY MORRIS

23Nov07

TERRITORY football will hold its breath tomorrow when the immediate AFL futures of our finest young players are decided at the national draft in Melbourne.

Cyril Rioli, Marlon Motlop, Charlie Sharples, Peter Rolfe, Charlie McAdam, Trevor Oliver, Austin Wonaeamirri, Cameron Stokes, Patrick Fittock and Tom Frawley are among the hopefuls.

CYRIL RIOLI: Could go between picks five and 20 as a small forward or midfielder. Several clubs have expressed an interest, with a phantom draft even sending him to Kangaroos.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22806051-21543,00.html

Cloud over Rioli
Article from:
Font size:DecreaseIncrease
Email article:Email
Print article:print
Submit comment:Submit comment
ANDREW CAPEL
November 23, 2007 01:15am
ADELAIDE has fallen in love with Northern Territory boy wonder Cyril Rioli.

In love with his talent, not his attitude.

And that is what is clouding the draft for a team armed with six selections, including four inside the top 38.

The Crows have had several "chats" with Rioli - a left-footed excitement machine who recruiting manager Matt Rendell rates as "probably the most talented player I've ever seen" - but are still to make up their mind whether he is worthy of being a top-10 pick.

Phil, you are indeed a serial Cyril stalker.

Fantastic job mate, has me hanging out to see Junior Boy in action for the mighty brown and gold and proving some of those doubters wrong with his commitment to the club and the game.

New Hawks to do it tough
4:02 PM Wed 28 November, 2007 | Back

By Catherine Murphy

for hawthornfc.com.au

News
TWO OF Hawthorn’s newest recruits, draftees Brendan Whitecross and Cyril Rioli, paid a visit to the 1000 Steps at the base of the Dandenong Ranges on Wednesday as they prepare to join 20 of their teammates to trek the Kokoda Track.

It will be a tough first assignment for the young Hawks, but they’re looking forward to the challenge.

“Going through the physical toughness and the mental side of things is going to be a good learning experience,” Whitecross said.

As for 18-year-old Rioli, he’s looking forward to bonding with teammates.

“They trip will be great. I’ll get to know the boys so I’m looking forward to it,” he said.

Seventeen-year-old Whitecross is living with the new Hawks’ captain Sam Mitchell until Christmas before he joins his host family.

And he insists he doesn’t feel the pressure to be on his best behaviour when in the skipper’s house.

He says his biggest problem is learning the names of all his new club mates.

But some players, such as Shane Crawford, he’s not having any trouble identifying.

“It is a bit daunting (training with those players) because you’ve grown up watching AFL and you look up to these sorts of guys, but it’s good at the same time.”

Rioli, whose personal best is a 10-goal haul in a school game and is a nephew of AFL greats Maurice Rioli and Michael Long, had been strongly linked to Essendon before the draft. But he insists he’s happy where he’s ended up.

“It doesn’t really bother me, I’m on an AFL list so I’m pretty happy.”

Ive been waiting for an NT player to play for hawthorn since I heard willie rioli played ressies, along time ago. His father was a brilliant player and wasnt noticably quick from what i remember, but still had ample time to do what he wanted. Its about time hawks had a punt on an NT player and im glad it wasnt X Clarke! they almost picked him. Should have an instant impact hopefully, like Alwyn Davey. Unbeatable.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have an instant impact hopefully, like Alwyn Davey. Unbeatable.:p

Alwyn came off the rookie list fair bit older than Junior so if he does have an instanct impact its not under the same preparation/development

Would compare Cyril Rioli more with Leroy Jetta. Both went around the same pick in each of their drafts (10-20). With both looking to be very good little goal sneaks.

Alwyn came off the rookie list fair bit older than Junior so if he does have an instanct impact its not under the same preparation/development

Actually Alwyn was picked up in the National draft 35-40 from memory as a 21 year old not from the rookie list. Aaron was elevated from the rookie list. Alwyn had played with South Adelaide seniors the year prior (r/u in b&f) so he does have more senior experience than Cyril going into his first year. I think Cyril has played a bit of senior footy in Darwin for St Mary's though.

Alwyn Davey was picked in the draft!!! and it was something like pick 60 or something. Prob every club could had got him before the slumers (essendud) picked him up. Jetta is the poor mans Andrew Crackour in comparison to Cyril Rioli. He has the breeding of a thoroughbred racehorse but if he is half the player his father was he'll dominate the comp, as he appariently has some speed.

By the way Alwyn Davey wasted 4-5 years and could have dominated more when he was 18 or 19 years old, the same way he did last year. Some of the recruiting managers need to have a good hard look at themselves and throw in the towel as they haven't a clue what their doing.

Alwyn Davey was picked in the draft!!! and it was something like pick 60 or something. Prob every club could had got him before the slumers (essendud) picked him up. Jetta is the poor mans Andrew Crackour in comparison to Cyril Rioli. He has the breeding of a thoroughbred racehorse but if he is half the player his father was he'll dominate the comp, as he appariently has some speed.

By the way Alwyn Davey wasted 4-5 years and could have dominated more when he was 18 or 19 years old, the same way he did last year. Some of the recruiting managers need to have a good hard look at themselves and throw in the towel as they haven't a clue what their doing.

I don't think Cyril's old man was that good, he was a solid WAFL player from all reports.

As for Froggy being able to dominate as an 18 or 19 yr old is just dribble, he wasn't ready to play AFL footy until last year. If he was recruited as an 18 yr old he would have been given 3 years on a list and then let go because he wasn't mature enough as a footballer. Played a year at Kerang as a 19 year old and was no stand out, he did one brilliant thing a quarter and would then go missing, performing for 4 quarters is only just something he has developed the last year or two. Even his 1st year at South Adelaide was nothing to special, played mostly ressies. I think the recruiters got it exactly right with him, some guys aren't ready to play AFL at 18, Stokes at the Cats and Logan at Port are perfect examples.

Pick 12 second time round for Cyril Rioli has given him to Rexcellent.

Cyril has confided that he finds this fact almost as exciting as being drafted to the Hawks, and he promises to keep Rexcellent focused at all times!

BR:thumbsu:

I don't think Cyril's old man was that good, he was a solid WAFL player from all reports.

As for Froggy being able to dominate as an 18 or 19 yr old is just dribble, he wasn't ready to play AFL footy until last year. If he was recruited as an 18 yr old he would have been given 3 years on a list and then let go because he wasn't mature enough as a footballer. Played a year at Kerang as a 19 year old and was no stand out, he did one brilliant thing a quarter and would then go missing, performing for 4 quarters is only just something he has developed the last year or two. Even his 1st year at South Adelaide was nothing to special, played mostly ressies. I think the recruiters got it exactly right with him, some guys aren't ready to play AFL at 18, Stokes at the Cats and Logan at Port are perfect examples.

Stokes and Logan are examples of what! Stokes dominated and kept his place in the side from his first game onwards. Logan hasn't been a regular player or contributor for P>A> ever? your whole message is insignificant as your comparing chalk to cheese!!

Have you ever thought to yourself maybe Frog thrives under pressure and lifts under pressure!! He lifts for the occasion, hence anzac match vs collingwood!!! thats exactly what a fan loves to see. What motivation would he have had playing in a new club at a lower level than he deserves to be in!!!

Stokes and Logan are examples of what! Stokes dominated and kept his place in the side from his first game onwards. Logan hasn't been a regular player or contributor for P>A> ever? your whole message is insignificant as your comparing chalk to cheese!!

Logan was originally drafted by Brisbane and his struggle with injuries was more of the reason of him not being retained, in fact many Lions fans like the way Logan goes about his football. Logan has obviously made his stance as a regular player as he played from round 21- to the grand final. Now if this was a player who couldnt cut it, I think the last thing you would do is bring him through a finals campaign.

my fact remains Alwyn frog Davey would have had no motivation to perform when playing for country or SA clubs!!! as his family wouldn't even of been there, or the lack of atmosphere and pressure!! He was a top player at age 17-19 or prob earlier and should have been snapped up!!! He played well in Palmerston Magpies back 2 back flags at that age. in the seniors.

He had conquered Darwin, then playing away in poor leagues with no atmosphere was a waste of energy for him i believe, but he got there in the end.

If you believe Davey wouldn't of been a better selection than at least 50% of players drafted since he was eligible your a fool.

my fact remains Alwyn frog Davey would have had no motivation to perform when playing for country or SA clubs!!! as his family wouldn't even of been there, or the lack of atmosphere and pressure!! He was a top player at age 17-19 or prob earlier and should have been snapped up!!! He played well in Palmerston Magpies back 2 back flags at that age. in the seniors.

He had conquered Darwin, then playing away in poor leagues with no atmosphere was a waste of energy for him i believe, but he got there in the end.

If you believe Davey wouldn't of been a better selection than at least 50% of players drafted since he was eligible your a fool.

Froggy is a super footballer and should have been snapped up when he was 18, what I am saying is that he wasn't because clubs may have noticed that apethetic approach to his footy.

Almost all the kids that are drafted are driven and push themselves as hard as possible at all times. Like you said he found playing at lower levels of footy not as challenging and as a younger guy may not have applied himself as he should have. As he has matured he has realised that he has to push himself harder all the time, which is why he had a good year at South Adelaide and why he got drafted.

If you read my original post you'll see that I said he may not have been ready to commit like he should have at 17-18. I think Froggy is a great footballer and I wish the hawks had of grabbed him when they had a chance. There is no need to get all defensive, reading your last post it would seem that you agree with me.

From "The boots on the other foot" Actical HFC

“Cyril Rioli, he’s going to be that exciting in the next couple of years Hodge said

“Watching him and Buddy [Franklin] just stroll around the forward line … he’s going to be one to look [out] for.

“We’ve got three or four others, with a few rookies as well, who are all pretty exciting players.”

Hawthorn selected Rioli, Queenslander Brendan Whitecross and Dew in last year’s NAB AFL Draft.

While many draftees take time to develop, Hodge believes Hawk fans might get a chance to see each of the new batch at some stage this year.

“I’d say they all would [have the potential to play], I think,” he said.

Looking forward to seeing Junior along side Buddy,Willo and co :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back