Player Watch #36 Jeff Garlett - 2017 AA Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the video - couldn't figure out who was who, but I did point out mitch robinson. Didn't look like much to be honest. Bit of a scuffle. What we see on the footy field looks more crazy than this incident.

How manly was the witches hat swing? lol

I watched the video - couldn't figure out who was who, but I did point out mitch robinson. Didn't look like much to be honest. Bit of a scuffle. What we see on the footy field looks more crazy than this incident.

How manly was the witches hat swing? lol
Did you see all of it? Was pretty vicious when Robinson got king hit, falls to the ground and then two guys start kicking him all over. Could killed him.

Did you see all of it? Was pretty vicious when Robinson got king hit, falls to the ground and then two guys start kicking him all over. Could killed him.

Jeez I just watched the vision, what a Dog act to hit him from behind then attack when he is down

Blokes like that should be forced to get in a ring with Danny Green if they love punching blokes so much

I guess not, cuz nothing I saw really looked all that vicious. The kicks I saw looked soft - but it wasn't a great stream I saw, plus I'm on DODO as my ISP and the speeds have been s**t - so If it was worse than what I saw, i'd put it down to a bad stream on my end.

Good bloke. Proud to have him. Will do better onfield next year IMO. Still very young.

I'm surprised he's still so young (just turned 26). Feels like he's been around for ages. He's a quality 40-goal-a-year small forward who's got at least five or six more years left, and we basically got him for nothing.

I'm surprised he's still so young (just turned 26). Feels like he's been around for ages. He's a quality 40-goal-a-year small forward who's got at least five or six more years left, and we basically got him for nothing.
Took Eddie Betts until 27 and Tex/Lynch/Jenkins to peak.

Watch out for Garlett and Hogan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's something about Brayshaw kicking over the top to Jeffy running in to an open goal against Collingwood that really gets me going. Happened 3 times last year

There's something about Brayshaw kicking over the top to Jeffy running in to an open goal against Collingwood that really gets me going. Happened 3 times last year
He's an excellent mark of the ball up forward, uses his body really well and protects the ball drop until the very last second. Brayshaw tends to kick it long and flat too which allows Garlett to get away from his opponent to gather the ball.

It's called the 'sling-shot'.

Push your side back behind the ball and try to isolate one of your speedsters in the front half with their opponent (Garlett or Kent).

If we force a turnover, move the ball quickly with a long flat kick to the goal side of your sling-shot and let them run into the ball.

Pretty simple stuff but I saw us practising it at training and we executed it well on several occasions last year.

It will be better when Kent is back, so that we have a couple of options to set up if the opposition isn't onto it.

It's called the 'sling-shot'.

Push your side back behind the ball and try to isolate one of your speedsters in the front half with their opponent (Garlett or Kent).

If we force a turnover, move the ball quickly with a long flat kick to the goal side of your sling-shot and let them run into the ball.

Pretty simple stuff but I saw us practising it at training and we executed it well on several occasions last year.

It will be better when Kent is back, so that we have a couple of options to set up if the opposition isn't onto it.

Paul Roos used to focus on training the Sydney academy players how to do this

Paul Roos used to focus on training the Sydney academy players how to do this

It's one of the basics, but we have to start somewhere.

Local footy teams would use it as well.

It's a good one for when you're getting beaten for numbers around the contests as it clogs the game up and can force the opposition to pull an extra man back.

It's one of the basics, but we have to start somewhere.

Local footy teams would use it as well.

It's a good one for when you're getting beaten for numbers around the contests as it clogs the game up and can force the opposition to pull an extra man back.

The hope being that with Kent and Garlett and even Truck that the opposition will have to play with a sweeper because they cant afford to have cut grass between those blokes and the goal, then that gives us an extra at the stoppage

The hope being that with Kent and Garlett and even Truck that the opposition will have to play with a sweeper because they cant afford to have cut grass between those blokes and the goal, then that gives us an extra at the stoppage

Exactly. Although I'm not sure Petracca will be used in this role exactly - he's more explosive than genuine speed.

If Hunt gets some senior games this year, watch for the sling shot.

It's also a good move in the wet, when it's hard to use skills to move the ball quickly, as it allows you congest the defensive half and move the ball quickly as it skids along the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back