Delisted #36: Lauchlan Dalgleish

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
62986_3851466303981_971393384_n.jpg

Note the U! This will be his player watch thread but I figure we may as well host it on the main board at least until he gets his number given to him. To start off with, Adrian Dodoro's thoughts:

Pick 11: Lauchlan Dalgleish, North Ballarat Rebels
DOB: 22/6/93
Height: 185cm
Weight: 77kg

Dodoro says: "Lauchlan is an exciting midfield prospect who we rated highly in the National Draft. He has a good work ethic, is a left-footer and will become the quickest player on our list - he won the (120m) Terang Gift recently. He'll need time to develop but we're excited about his long-term prospects.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127117/default.aspx

And some articles about him

Ararat youngster headed to Essendon in AFL rookie draft
Lauchie's Gift
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift
Lauchlan Dalgleish, Ararat

And some player assessments.

Emma Quayle:

LAUCHLAN DALGLEISH
Midfielder, 184cm, 76kg (Also listed Height:185cm Weight:77kg)

From North Ballarat Rebels
Dalgleish won the 120-metre Terang Gift in 12.25 seconds three days after missing out in the national draft. Starred at the draft combine after five weeks off with a punctured lung, finishing top five in the clean hands test, the agility run, the 20-metre sprint and the repeat sprint test. A club should choose him in the hope that his running ability becomes even more damaging.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/consolation-prize-20111211-1opwi.html#ixzz1gVQs7fOb

Draft Tracker Player assessment:
Left footed midfielder with breakaway speed (2.87 seconds for the 20m sprint) and elite agility (8.02 seconds,in the top three per cent).
Snoop Dog:

# 21 Port - Lachlan Dalgleish (North Ballarat / 181 / 77 / 93)

Quick wingman from the Rebels who will offer the Dogs genuine leg speed and a bit of class. Reminds me a bit of someone like Rohan Smith who has real pace and has good kick penetration. Nothing wrong with him as an inside type but the ability to run and carry is what is going to appeal to prospective clubs. The knock on him is that whilst there is a heap of potential there am not sure the results have been to date but he certainly has the tools to be a successful player.
AFL Comparison – Rohan Smith
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22708634

(In his rookie draft mock Snoop added "Surprised he didn’t go in the ND as he has real AFL talent IMO.")

foj1:
Pick 40 NM Lachlan Dalgleish Wing/ Utility Vic Country
Dalgliesh is a super athlete who has an athletics background. Dalgleish is both fast with a big tank and has a long raking kick to match his athleticism. Lachie’s go is to be an outside player who runs to create space or uses his speed to move from contests. Dalgleish would enjoy having Swallow, Zeibell, Cunnington and co feeding him the footy.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887162

Knightmare:
#94 GWS – Lachlan Dalgleish (VIC – Mid)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB:
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Outside type. Has some versatility. What stands out with Danglish is his speed, would be one of the fastest in this year’s draft. Also has a 60m kick at his disposal which is another more than handy weapon to have at his disposal.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=886979

Chris25:

#61 Sydney - Lachlan Dalgleish (185cm midfielder - North Ballarat)

I said he was a midfielder, but he has played just as much across half forward and given what he has shown up forward I could easily have called him that. Excellent speed and has run competitively. Will be an interesting player to watch, potentially more of an athlete and teams have been moving away from those types lately. But there is plenty of interest in him. AFL Comparison: Ricky Henderson.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=883264

So. He's fast. Very fast.

Re: Lauchlan Dalgleish

What were his flaws that made him not liked for the ND?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm guessing he just doesn't get it much? But even then, quick pace + big boot + clean hands surely would have been enough to get him on a senior list. Hopefully Humble Minion - who btw is about the only person with any information on Hal Hunter - can inform us

Athlete first, footballer second is probably best way to describe.

Looking at his stats he played 18 games and was only named in the best 2 times.

A break down of his 18 games
12 with less than 10 possessions,
5 10-15 possessions
1 16 possessions which was his best.
0 Contested marks for the season

They are not great figures seeing plays on a wing and in a half decent team.

I guess on the flip side he is a perfect rookie because he has his deficiencies but he has the speed you want. A lot of upside to work with.

Only seen him a couple of times and they were for his statistically worst games for the season (single-figure possession counts), so I didn't actually take any note of him at all!

Just from his stats (and from my absolute failure to see him do anydamnthing in two games when the Rebels got done by good teams), the worry on him would be his low possession counts and his tendency to get his bigger numbers beating up on weak sides.

Project player.

Well he has attributes that could see him be very effective.

Good height, express pace, good kick and good handling is a fair bit to work with. He is certainly the sort of guy you add to a rookie list. Put him in the system and see if we can get the rest of his game up to scratch. There is always the maturity issue as well.

Maybe he could be moulded into a defensive crumbing forward? The position takes smarts but we could just set him the assignment of forward pressure/tagging attacking VFL half backs which is solely about attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dalgleish - quick winger/midfielder who will certainly add some outside pace. Skills are pretty good and does not have too many days where he has been way off target. Tested really well at draft camp and importantly for us one of those was in the clean hands test.
Have seen it said he can play inside but from what i have seen he has played mostly wing with a little time in the middle. Not always a big ball winner and in fact some games he was dam quiet.
Works ok off the ball but it is an area he can improve in as if he kept putting in second and third efforts more often his possession rate would have been up.
Will block and do the team things.
Was a fringe player in the Vic Country squad making the final 40 so a few others have seen parts of his game which are good.
Has to prove he can be more consistent and make a stamp on games more often.

I am always glad to see someone from my hometown make it to the big time. Especially for Essendon. :)

Athlete first, footballer second is probably best way to describe.

Looking at his stats he played 18 games and was only named in the best 2 times.

A break down of his 18 games
12 with less than 10 possessions,
5 10-15 possessions
1 16 possessions which was his best.
0 Contested marks for the season

They are not great figures seeing plays on a wing and in a half decent team.

I guess on the flip side he is a perfect rookie because he has his deficiencies but he has the speed you want. A lot of upside to work with.

Blue Balls I found this article you might like to read and take note.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/craig-thomson-mp-turned-plagiarist-20111214-1ov0u.html

Big brother is always watching.

Is he a chance to be elevated off the rookie list before the season?
I reckon he is a project player, who is a bit too skinny for AFL.
Unless his speed is game breaking he will develop at Bendigo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back