Delisted #36: Lauchlan Dalgleish

Remove this Banner Ad

Henderson has played a million and one positions, but when he plays HBF he's not dissimilar to Hibberd, who is a slower but more aerially competent version of Dalgleish. Not a terrible comparison tbh.

Henderson has played a million and one positions, but when he plays HBF he's not dissimilar to Hibberd, who is a slower but more aerially competent version of Dalgleish. Not a terrible comparison tbh.

I like the Hibberd >>> Henderson comparison

I don't like the Dalgleish >>> Henderson comparison

I don't particularly like the jetta comparison either, Dal's a better kick, and on exposed form that I've seen live I'd say he's better in the contest, both as a defender and in terms of winning contested ball.

I think Andrew Walker is the most appropriate comparison, or maybe a Isaac Smith who plays wing/hb rather than wing/hf

I like the Hibberd >>> Henderson comparison

I don't like the Dalgleish >>> Henderson comparison

Henderson is quicker than Hibberd. Not lightning, but faster. He's a slightly slower, slightly better marking model of Dalgleish.

I don't particularly like the jetta comparison either, Dal's a better kick, and on exposed form that I've seen live I'd say he's better in the contest, both as a defender and in terms of winning contested ball.

I think Andrew Walker is the most appropriate comparison, or maybe a Isaac Smith who plays wing/hb rather than wing/hf

Following on the Carlton theme, perhaps the most apt comparison I can think of is Kade Simpson. Obviously no where near as good, but all very similar attributes. Simpson is better overhead, Dalgleish is probably quicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm personally pushing for Dempsey half forward and Dalgleish taking Dempsey's spot down back. With Winderlich/Chapman/Dempsey, we would finally have a group of small forwards capable of doing their job up forward and being part of midfield rotations whilst down back we would still be fairly solid. It probably won't happen but I still reckon it would be awesome.

I'm personally pushing for Dempsey half forward and Dalgleish taking Dempsey's spot down back. With Winderlich/Chapman/Dempsey, we would finally have a group of small forwards capable of doing their job up forward and being part of midfield rotations whilst down back we would still be fairly solid. It probably won't happen but I still reckon it would be awesome.

that's what i'm over the moon with Edwards.

He can be that forward half dempsey.

Imagine halfbacks of Dempsey and Hibberd, Wingers of Zaharakis and Dalgleish and half forwards of Edwards and Merrett.

Geeze there's some toe there

Ah! I remember posting that NOB was a lock for the best 22. Dalgleish has shown a bit more than NOB, but is only a depth player at this stage.

Major difference between O'Brien and Dalgleish is that Dalgleish's attributes, for now lets just say pace and kick, give him an obvious, outside, role that he is capable of playing. O'Brien may have been winning time trials last preseason but he was still just a lightly framed, albeit tall, half forward/inside midfield option which at AFL level requires more strength and endurance than he was capable of. His game doesn't really suit any other positions.

Not saying that Dalgleish will be a best 22 player, though I'd include him as much as possible, but he's better suited to playing more footy than O'Brien was because being fed the ball at half back and sprinting off with it is something that he will excel at even at AFL level for as long as he is fit enough to do it. It's also a relatively easy role to play.

Major difference between O'Brien and Dalgleish is that Dalgleish's attributes, for now lets just say pace and kick, give him an obvious, outside, role that he is capable of playing. O'Brien may have been winning time trials last preseason but he was still just a lightly framed, albeit tall, half forward/inside midfield option which at AFL level requires more strength and endurance than he was capable of. His game doesn't really suit any other positions.

I agree with else you've said but there's no way O'Brien is lightly framed.

He looked a solid figure in his first year when we concentrated on bulking our list, from what I recall then I was surprised how lean he was this year, probly cause we were running a lot more. So I do agree that he is slightly light framed at this stage but another pre season and who knows. Has the potential to have a Watson type frame imo.

Look at him and tell me that he is as imposing as those numbers say he is (with his spaghetti arms, no chest and generally gangly appearance).

It is not all about size anyway.

The roles that O'Brien are suited to are physically taxing not really roles that young players excel at. Part of it is physical immaturity, part of it is developing game nous.

Think of Heppell's first year. If he was being played at half forward or in the middle you can forget the rising star award. He was being fed the ball in an unaccountable half back role all year. He excelled because it is one of the few roles on ground that really young guys can step straight into.

Look at him and tell me that he is as imposing as those numbers say he is (with his spaghetti arms, no chest and generally gangly appearance).

It is not all about size anyway.

The roles that O'Brien are suited to are physically taxing not really roles that young players excel at. Part of it is physical immaturity, part of it is developing game nous.

Think of Heppell's first year. If he was being played at half forward or in the middle you can forget the rising star award. He was being fed the ball in an unaccountable half back role all year. He excelled because it is one of the few roles on ground that really young guys can step straight into.

I'm not saying O'Brien is some but huge man child but strength or lack there of isn't why he hasn't gotten more games at AFL level imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back