Player Watch #37 Kaelan Bradtke

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah don’t you do that work before putting someone on your list.

It’s one of two things. We either ****ed up or someone didn’t do their homework.
That’s not right , rookies are a high risk gamble , he showed a bit at country , the gamble was could he develop in FT environment, he was well short of afl qty ,,,,clubs would never get one wrong if what you say is correct

c0fd6f68b3071660e6983ec10b8acb70ad07d373.jpg

Haha * yeah!

Known for his physicality and rebounding (marking) skills. Forward problems solved. Next.

It’s one of two things. We either ****ed up or someone didn’t do their homework.
It’s a big step up from country football to VFL, really low chance of that succeeding these days because just about every kid that missed out on getting drafted and is after a second chance is playing State league ie VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc

I know Bradtke played a game or 2 for Sydney’s VFL team, but that’s not a big enough sample to judge. And country football while pretty decent doesn’t have anywhere the depth of state league comps.

So yeah Bradtke Probably a bit of a reach on reflection but when it comes to KPF there’s plenty of rated kpf from the ND who have ended on the scrap heap.

That’s not right , rookies are a high risk gamble , he showed a bit at country , the gamble was could he develop in FT environment, he was well short of afl qty ,,,,clubs would never get one wrong if what you say is correct

Yes I understand there’s a higher risk attached to these picks but the bloke didn’t even have a preseason at the club.

If we made a mistake selecting him and are now correcting that fine. But it’s a pretty rough journey for the bloke to not even get through to a second year.

Could be that he had the ability to play the game but not the dedication to get the best out of himself. Hence being cut at the first opportunity, so it's not necessarily a case of we ****ed up or didn't do our homework.

Yes I understand there’s a higher risk attached to these picks but the bloke didn’t even have a preseason at the club.

If we made a mistake selecting him and are now correcting that fine. But it’s a pretty rough journey for the bloke to not even get through to a second year.
How’s he going to become a afl std mark of the ball between seasons , won’t happen , we rolled the dice to see how he’d turn out in a ft footy environment , what we saw strongly suggested he won’t cut it , what don’t you understand about that

Hi did have a preseason of sorts. Was invited to train pre-xmas from memory, along with a couple of others. He had a fair tank and covered a lot of ground so fitness wasn't really a problem. His goal last week in the VFL showed what he could do athletically, but problem was he couldn't really mark the ball. That's a bit of a killer at VFL level much less AFL. If he had clunked some good marks on a regular basis I think he would still be on our list.

Hi did have a preseason of sorts. Was invited to train pre-xmas from memory, along with a couple of others. He had a fair tank and covered a lot of ground so fitness wasn't really a problem. His goal last week in the VFL showed what he could do athletically, but problem was he couldn't really mark the ball. That's a bit of a killer at VFL level much less AFL. If he had clunked some good marks on a regular basis I think he would still be on our list.
Yep

Thinking through the list sizes with Oliver Hayes-Brown on board gave me another potential angle for his delisting.

Maximum rookie list spots is six. We started the year with these on the Cat A rookie list:

• Ben Miller
  • Bigoa Nuyon
  • Jacob Bauer
  • Seth Campbell
  • Tylar Young
  • Kaelan Bradtke

On the back of Castagna’s retirement and moving Kaleb Smith to the long term-injury list enabled two Cat A rookie listed players to be elevated to the primary list (not sure whom but guess would be Ben Miller was one) to open up the two Cat A rookie listed spot filled by Coulthard and Tresize.

My understanding is that you bring back the two elevated players to the rookie list the following season. Meaning we have eight rookies for six spots.

Maximum time you can spend on the rookie list is three years. 2023 was Ben Miller’s third year so he either needs to be cut or elevated to the primary list. As he has a contract for 2024 I suspect it’s the latter.

Thus, one player on the rookie list needed to be cut to bring it back to six.

Bradtke may have been axed - in part - on the back of list sizes.

Perhaps we should have kept bradtke on the list as a break glass in case of an emergency situation like the one we find ourselves in now with injuries to lynch and balta ….. was a big lad who could throw his weight around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps we should have kept bradtke on the list as a break glass in case of an emergency situation like the one we find ourselves in now with injuries to lynch and balta ….. was a big lad who could throw his weight around
He would’ve been better or the same as Kosi so maybe if Kosi wasn’t on the list. Couldn’t have both and then Ryan and LeFau.

My understanding is that he was seriously lacking in professionalism and commitment.

Managed to stack on something like 10-20kg during the playing season? All players lose weight during the season as they achieve match fitness.

If he makes it at another club good on him but he never showed signs of going to that level with us.

Our forward line will unfortunately have to be Kosi, Lefau and Ryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back