Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - has signed a 4 year contract extension to the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, he is the ONLY player who has cracked in a at least broken even in each match. Wtf are you expecting? Natanui taps AND the 10 tackles/20 pressure acts he is bringing each game?

He is protecting the midfield with his play. Think about how bullied our mids would be if we still had Goldie. And I loved Goldie.
He is not an AFL level ruck.
After 7 years in the system he finally gets the number 1 go at it and the midfield has gone backwards at a rate of knots.

The grunt work would be admirable if our midfield wasn’t being torched each week.

And no he isn’t protecting anyone.
He cannot tap into space.
During the last quarter when we got our 2nd wind, you could see the boys lift around the ground and we were begging for the ball to be put into space.
Theres so much to like by some of our play last year. This year it’s so disjointed and lacks flow.

I mean he took 0 marks today ffs
His opponents took a combined 11 marks between them and kicked 3 goals.

We’ve gone all chips in on a 25 year old who has so many deficiencies in his game it doesn’t make sense.

After 7 years in the system he finally gets the number 1 go at it and the midfield has gone backwards at a rate of knots.

The grunt work would be admirable if our midfield wasn’t being torched each week.

During the last quarter when we got our 2nd wind, you could see the boys lift around the ground and we were begging for the ball to be put into space.
Theres so much to like by some of our play last year. This year it’s so disjointed and lacks flow.

We’ve gone all chips in on a 25 year old who has so many deficiencies in his game it doesn’t make sense.
This is the Rawling way

I wouldn't have extended him either but I think you overrate ruckmen. This year he's gone from a below average ruckman to plain average largely on his contested efforts.

That's his ceiling but I reckon 15 of the last 20 premiers have had average or worse ruckmen.

We've got more pressing needs.

He can’t mark at all.all this bullsit about ruckman being overrated I call bulllshit maybe their tap work is but not their marking even Coxy beats xerri here

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Surprised you put this down to Xerri, I put it down to mids who are still developing. Think we won centre clearances yesterday. I would be pointing the finger more at LDU, Simpkin and Powell than Xerri.
Absolutely Xerri needs to continue to improve but I think he is

I can see it now. He is hurting us. He has a crack but his ruck work is selfish, he’s playing his own game.

Continually grabbing the ball out of the ruck isn’t helping us get better, he’s not giving the mids a chance, and when he does tap its rarely to our midfields advantage.

I’d love to know what his instructions are.

I can see it now. He is hurting us. He has a crack but his ruck work is selfish, he’s playing his own game.

Continually grabbing the ball out of the ruck isn’t helping us get better, he’s not giving the mids a chance, and when he does tap its rarely to our midfields advantage.

If that’s not his instructions then I would like to hear the bake

I’d certainly be going after Moyle at the end of the year, with Goad being 2 years or so away.

Without knowing his salary range, I don’t necessarily think the 4 years is a bad contract like the others we have.

He’s not Luke Jackson, but neither is he Daniel Currie.

He’s clearly AFL standard with a few flaws. Marshall is a good player and he more than broke even for parts of the game.

His go isn’t defending deep in defence, but some of that is experience. Marshall didn’t have to defend 70 inside 50’s with his opponent having the confidence of pushing forward at will.

If he tweaks his hitouts it will be better for the team, but statistically he will nose dive with clearances etc.

Wondering how much of this is instruction and how much is stat padding.

This might sound insane but X would be better just as a huge defensive ruck rover. He is 10th in the comp for contested possessions, 2nd for tackles, 4th for clearances. He is basically everything we would have liked Phillips to be. Without the burden of the ruck he would get around the ground for marks more and possibly be even higher in those critical stats.

Surprised with all the comments about Xerri’s poor tap work that only Gawn, Grundy and O’Brien have more hit outs to advantage than Tristan. True, Tristan rucks almost solo whilst most teams play a better second ruck than us sending Larkey in there so maybe his volume skews it a bit. But I’m not sure how people can have such a low opinion on Xerri this year. Saw one poster refer to him as “selfish”. s**t, if the rest of the mids were as selfish with their clearance and tackle efforts we might not be 0-8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised with all the comments about Xerri’s poor tap work that only Gawn, Grundy and O’Brien have more hit outs to advantage than Tristan. True, Tristan rucks almost solo whilst most teams play a better second ruck than us sending Larkey in there so maybe his volume skews it a bit. But I’m not sure how people can have such a low opinion on Xerri this year. Saw one poster refer to him as “selfish”. s**t, if the rest of the mids were as selfish with their clearance and tackle efforts we might not be 0-8

That was me. I don’t think he’s deliberately being selfish, I think he’s just thinking about his own game.

I could be wrong obviously, but that’s my take.

This!!

Spend all our premium picks on a midfield that isn’t getting used - bloody madness

I wouldn't have extended him either but I think you overrate ruckmen. This year he's gone from a below average ruckman to plain average largely on his contested efforts.

That's his ceiling but I reckon 15 of the last 20 premiers have had average or worse ruckmen.

We've got more pressing needs.

When ChampionData first came on board, they did some analysis into what actually impacts games and winning hitouts had the lowest impact IIRC.

This!!

Spend all our premium picks on a midfield that isn’t getting used - bloody madness
What are you on about? Hitouts and even clearances are of limited relevance in today's game. Midfielders do their most important work after stoppages and plenty thrive without a ruckman hitting it down their throat. Blaming Xerri is just nonsense.

He can’t mark at all.all this bullsit about ruckman being overrated I call bulllshit maybe their tap work is but not their marking even Coxy beats xerri here

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The midfielders on our list. LDU, Wardlaw, Powell, Sheezel - the in close stuff is not their go.
Which is why a genuine tap ruckman, 205cm+ who could dictate terms, would compliment this list so much more than X.
It’s what’s missing IMO and I would love to see what a Gawn or English type could do with our mids.
Surprised you put this down to Xerri, I put it down to mids who are still developing. Think we won centre clearances yesterday. I would be pointing the finger more at LDU, Simpkin and Powell than Xerri.
Absolutely Xerri needs to continue to improve but I think he is
Expectations need to be tempered with Wardlaw, Powell and Sheezel in there. I agree.
I just don’t see them getting first use which is just as frustrating.

Last edited:

An anology for Xerri’s ruck work is like a golfer trying to putt their ball in the hole with their 1 wood.
Monkhorst needs to buy 3 doz eggs and start getting X to tap them to his team mates, get his hands softer and start finding his team mates

People need to stop blaming Xerri for the poor centre clearance work of our mids, it’s a cop out.

Our mids don’t work hard enough and it’s nothing to do with Xerri.

The same people would be moaning if he hit it to space and we were continually getting beaten on the spread.

I find it laughable that people are having a go at the one player who is actually having a good season, playing his role and putting in continual effort.

I saw more pathetic s**t from Goldstein last year than I have seen from Xerri.

So there are stats to say that our midfield is better when Larkey is rucking. Pretty much what we’ve all been saying

Stats are just that, stats. Draw conclusions at your own risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back