Radio 3AW locked out of AFL app by Hutchy late last year, Ch 9 only just realizes.

Remove this Banner Ad

calculon559

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
Reports coming out of News Ltd papers that Nine Entertainment have only just realized that Hutchy, ceo of SEN, made a deal with the AFL that resulted in 3AW being removed from the list of available radio feeds on the AFL app and website.

Now, in Nine's defence, the wording from the deal late last year does not make this obvious:
SEN's digital rights partnership with the AFL includes:
"Exclusive AM broadcast on the AFL platforms including the AFL App and com.au of the AFL Nation call."
However, SURELY someone would have picked up that 3AW went AWOL from the AFL app & site before now, being Wednesday before Round 9.

Wonder if this will be brought up on Footy Classified...

Every Friday night I try to hear the preview on 3AW through the AFL app and every week 3AW isn’t on the list of stations.

Ps. I’ve been surprised by it not that bothered

Every Friday night I try to hear the preview on 3AW through the AFL app and every week 3AW isn’t on the list of stations.

Ps. I’ve been surprised by it not that bothered
Well, now you know why. Gonna be this way for at least two years.
saying jeff goldblum GIF

No different to when 9HQ in Sydney didn't want the AFL finals between 2002-2006 for Ch9, giving them away to Ch10 for free. You reap what you sow when you let Sydney run the show. You'd think these companies would have a dual-city strategy given how big (and now equal) they are to each other, whilst also having very different needs. Ah well....

All stations on the app keep disappearing for me tonight along with the whole 'listen live' button

(Log in to remove this ad.)

depends which gets them more traffic: people who are used to using the AFL app OR rusted on 3AW listeners who would access the site directly.
I always had issues with the app. Much prefer to listen via radio app. More reliable

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

I think the concern would be losing casual viewers via the AFL app, which until this year was the only way to listen to AFL radio calls online.
I'm sure there would be a sizeable audience who don't realize you don't have to use the AFL app to listen to radio calls online anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back