#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Give him a 2 year deal on the senior list. This guy has got real potential and the right attributes to be a solid AFL footballer. Definitely in our best 22 for 2016. Put him on the half-forward flank where he can use his contested marking and push up a bit through the midfield.

Harmes upgrade is a foregone conclusion at this stage. Can see Vandenberg and White being kept on there for another year. King's been on there for two but can't see anyone else picking him up so he'll stay also.

It'll depend on how many senior listed players get delisted as to who is upgraded. If it's quite a few you'd expect that we'd prefer to upgrade VDB and White than go picking around the bottom end of the draft.

Harmes upgrade is a foregone conclusion at this stage. Can see Vandenberg and White being kept on there for another year. King's been on there for two but can't see anyone else picking him up so he'll stay also.

It'll depend on how many senior listed players get delisted as to who is upgraded. If it's quite a few you'd expect that we'd prefer to upgrade VDB and White than go picking around the bottom end of the draft.
I would be absolutely staggered if Vandenberg is left on the rookie list! He's a gun and will be a starting mid next year, just like he was this year before injured.

I would be absolutely staggered if Vandenberg is left on the rookie list! He's a gun and will be a starting mid next year, just like he was this year before injured.
Vandenberg is a quality player and a hard nut but I don't think he has a lot of upside. He's not exactly a great kick and he doesn't have a lot of pace. He's definitely in the mix for R1 but I think he'll play as an undersized half-forward rather than in the midfield where he's behind Vince, Jones, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw and will be competing with the likes of Trengove, Michie, and Newton who arguably bring more diversity to the middle of the ground.

Vandenberg is a quality player and a hard nut but I don't think he has a lot of upside. He's not exactly a great kick and he doesn't have a lot of pace. He's definitely in the mix for R1 but I think he'll play as an undersized half-forward rather than in the midfield where he's behind Vince, Jones, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw and will be competing with the likes of Trengove, Michie, and Newton who arguably bring more diversity to the middle of the ground.
We all see things differently. I reckon he's a big bodied mid which we desperately need given our group of short people, he's very tough, loves tackling to hurt and he's good overhead. Knows how to find the footy too. Given another pre-season where he is injury free, I think he will go to another level next year and become a first choice mid. Thank you again Jason Taylor!

I think Vandenberg can be huge for us - especially given his late development through the NEAFL.
I'm with you and Tempy. Extremely excited about what he can bring. Love his tackling pressure, big heart and - given he got this amazing opportunity by Melbourne - loyalty likely to hold firm. Love him

Love his marking but he's hilariously one sided and it's not a great side at that. Reckon defensive forward with cameos in the middle is his gig.

He's looks a good clearance player though - he size, aggression, burst pace and his skill will improve with time (there's no massive technique problems).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we keep VDB on the rookie list? He and Harmes should be elevated, and if Jamar leaves, probably King as well unless we get another experienced ruck in.

Didnt we sign Vandenburg for another 2 years therefore automatic elevation? you can't sign players to 2 year deals on the rookie list
Yeah, Vanders is signed until 2017. Very rarely does an existing rookie sign a two year deal to remain on a rookie list.

Harmes and VDB certainties to be upgraded. King most likely to stay on as a third year rookie (afaik that is a possibility without having to delist and re-rookie). White's elevation probably dependent on how many people we bring in over the trade/fa period, given that the draft pool is supposedly quite shallow this year if we head into draft with 4 vacancies I expect we may upgrade him as well.

You syrian? No way VDB doesn't get a contract.

Both will be upgraded, so I don't see the point in ranking them relative to each other.

Why do we do 2016 team on this board now? It will still be a team off 44, i dont see the point in naming our best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back