Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if you meant it to sound that way so apologies if you didn't, but the above comes across like you think there's elements of a) selfishness b) laziness c) lack of courage in his aerial game. I really don't see it that way.

Just because a player is tall, doesn't mean they're naturally great contested markers, sometimes it's an element of the game they need to work on and confidence does wonders in this area. I see Marbs as *sometimes* (I think to say 'often' would once again be feeding into the perception bias I spoke of earlier) being in two minds about whether to go or not. We almost certainly need to take into account coaching instructions, which as I alluded to earlier may involve him being told to play to a bigger current strength and stay down ready to break apart from the pack at ground level, but quite likely also involve him being under instruction to preserve his body a bit in games where he was rucking solo.

I really think there's plenty of examples to support the opposite to what you seem to be suggesting. To take just one example we can all view easily, look at his aerial contest in the Adelaide game when the result was up in the air and Jack took his mark of the year contender. There's no lack of anything, it's just pure attack on the ball.

To me, the biggest, most blatantly obvious difference between Marbs and CCJ in regards to senior level contested marking is a significant contrast in body size.

Yes, CCJ's younger, yes he's had less time in the system, but there's a serious difference in weight and bulk. Until very recently, Marbs has been a skinny kid always contesting against much bigger men. He's bridging that gap in size every year, but there's still a way to go yet.

I think he deserves a season or two at his ultimately filled out size (which CCJ has already reached and Marbs may well be another year, possibly even two away from) before we go making sweeping conclusions.
My opinion on Chol doesn't just come from the AFL games, I've watched him for years at VFL level do the same things over and over again and if you went through my history you'd see the same constant in my thoughts on him so I can assure you there is no bias, nor do I think it's laziness/selfishness/lack of courage. As I said Chol will go, but it's not his wheelhouse to go every time regardless of the situation.

To me Chol is Vickery 2.0, has all the tools to be a solid player but doesn't seem to be able to unlock the box to let them all come to the fore. He will tease like he did the other week when he kicked 4 from bugger all opportunities but then you'll get the output we got in the month before that game and the 2 weeks after.

Can we really carry someone who turns up once every 7 weeks or so

My opinion on Chol doesn't just come from the AFL games, I've watched him for years at VFL level do the same things over and over again and if you went through my history you'd see the same constant in my thoughts on him so I can assure you there is no bias, nor do I think it's laziness/selfishness/lack of courage. As I said Chol will go, but it's not his wheelhouse to go every time regardless of the situation.

To me Chol is Vickery 2.0, has all the tools to be a solid player but doesn't seem to be able to unlock the box to let them all come to the fore. He will tease like he did the other week when he kicked 4 from bugger all opportunities but then you'll get the output we got in the month before that game and the 2 weeks after.

Can we really carry someone who turns up once every 7 weeks or so

I was happy with his output prior to the Brisbane game, as per my comments above in the WCE game. It's fair to compare him to Allen, not to NicNat.

I don't really see any similarities to Vickery beyond being a routine board target. Marbs has a way better attitude both to his own football and the club generally. That story from pre-2020 season where he hired his own personal trainer to improve his fitness says it all about the difference between the two.

To trade him his basically going back to square one with no one coming up in vfl.I like Chol, but his not reliable.
Would you consider something with Himmelberg going back the other way?

You know, I was initially trying to think of what's fair and I couldnt think of anything fair tbh. (our 2nd is too early if we send Himmelberg back the other way, Melbourne's too late)
But then I looked at 1 historical trade the Crows have had.

Tom Lynch (the one who's kicked 10 goals in a game ;) joking, joking)
Drafted to St Kilda in 2008 with pick 13.
3 years at St Kilda for 6 games stuck behind Nick Riewoldt from the ages (for Nick) of 26-29
Traded to Adelaide in 2011 for pick 37 (the one you gave us for Maric)

I look at CJ
Drafted to Richmond in 2017 (joke's on me now :( ) with pick 20
4 years at Richmond for 7 games stuck behind Tom Lynch from the ages (for Tom) of 26-28

Using historical precdence, Melbourne's 2nd + Himmelberg for CJ might be what it might take.
But knowing the Crows, we'll offer our 4th round pick, you guys laugh in our face, and no serious discussions ever occur because of our stupidity.

You know, I was initially trying to think of what's fair and I couldnt think of anything fair tbh. (our 2nd is too early if we send Himmelberg back the other way, Melbourne's too late)

3 years at St Kilda for 6 games stuck behind Nick Riewoldt from the ages (for Nick) of 26-29

I look at CJ
4 years at Richmond for 7 games stuck behind Tom Lynch from the ages (for Tom) of 26-28

Using historical precdence, Melbourne's 2nd + Himmelberg for CJ might be what it might take.
But knowing the Crows, we'll offer our 4th round pick, you guys laugh in our face, and no serious discussions ever occur because of our stupidity.
Himmelberg? No thanks. He's rubbish.

I look at CJ

Replace Himmelberg with Josh Worrell and ill take that

Pretty hard to split them really. Both have different strengths. If in doubt, go the campaigner.
Mr Bean Middle Finger GIFs | Tenor

Pretty hard to split them really. Both have different strengths. If in doubt, go the campaigner.

Pretty easy to split. One has been on the list since 2017 and still fails to give a contest at critical moments. The other has only had one real year in the VFL (first year in 2019) and has made a contest in every game he's played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty easy to split. One has been on the list since 2017 and still fails to give a contest at critical moments. The other has only had one real year in the VFL (first year in 2019) and has made a contest in every game he's played.
Was talking about the stats supplied. Pretty even overall with different strength areas. As I said I'd go CCJ.

Was talking about the stats supplied. Pretty even overall with different strength areas. As I said I'd go CCJ.
Agree on CCJ...

And I wonder what Chol's stats would look like fi you took the Brisbane outlier performance out of the averages?

I think for a big lad with only 8 games in his first real go at it this year, there's enough to work with. Pretty keen to see what he can be at 50 games, but that's going to require us to invest in him at AFL level and deal with some inconsistency at times.

Glad some have woken up as to how good this guy is. Classes above Soldo him and nank should be our rucks.
CJ and Nank our rucks? Nank had a bit of a shocker. So CJ looked ok against a Mumford type. Don't know how he'll go against taller rucks. soldo is a good ruckman and was good backup for nank when he was injured.
CJ is way better than Chol and I hope he stays. I'm a bit concerned about how injury prone CJ is. Plays 4, misses 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back