Delisted 41. Levi Casboult

Remove this Banner Ad

Levi was at his best parked in goal square and taking on #1 defenders in danger zone with crumbers coming in at 100mph - I don't think he is a CHF tbh.
The best thing he has done is hurt a few blokes in his way this year. His value as a decoy will be increased as other talls are added to forward line - Phillips and Kreuzer offer less than Levi as forwards - based on form to date.

A pity Harry is pretty much out for the year - leaving Jones and Jacksh fighting it out for a call up - and even then Jacksh is being played forward and back in VFL - neither of these blokes are #1 tall material - but going in with only Levi and Phillips or Kreuzer makes our forward lien structure very predictable and ordinary - and he is no Hawkins who has always played best when assisted by another tall anyway.

I'd try Rowe at CHF Levi at FF and swing Jones in as second tall - which leaves us with a hole at CHB.

Kreuzer and Phillips aren't answers to our forward line issues. Everitt is too casual in defense but is probably the best natural kick and mark in space out of all those previously mentioned - and Walker can't be considered to be much more than an occasional role player when his body allows these days.

so there you have it - buckle in for a lousy year as far as forward structure goes.

Which brings us to the alternative that good teams are able to rely on when talls aren't going well - midfielders.

What we saw yesterday was another example of D.Thomas not being able to kick 40 meters when he went to Graham in the pocket instead of a clear Phillips in the goal square. Boekhurst would have nailed that kick to Phillips. Gibbs missed an easy set shot - but scored a 50 meter one stepper. Cripps missed one from in front and got another. Murphy was apparently injured. Kerridge/Wright/Buckley did nothing much in attack and Lamb played one of his better games so far.

too much pressure on Levi - not enough help is probably half the story.

Good news is with 1-2 new blokes in forward line - we are looking at a 5-6 goal turn around and a huge boost in confidence - when they appear - in the meantime lets not get carried away with expectations too high on Levi - he can't be used optimally right now.

That is the way I read it anyway.

I still reckon that we get Whitnall or Hamill down to the club to help Cas with his kicking. Fev is going to want 10k/week to be his teacher I reckon.
Hamill still works for the saints, and i don't reckon Whitnall is in condition to be teaching anyone anything. Would be pushing about 130kg's.

Get Matty Lloyd down to help Levi (pretty sure he isn't helping any club atm)

Once Casboult's contract expires, if there isn't significant improvement in his goal kicking, then he will be traded or delisted.

Still want to try trade him at Season's End.

Get Matty Lloyd down to help Levi (pretty sure he isn't helping any club atm)

Once Casboult's contract expires, if there isn't significant improvement in his goal kicking, then he will be traded or delisted.

Still want to try trade him at Season's End.
He is working with * and helping Joe Daniher

We're reaching the point of no return with Casboult. Give him one more week to try and have a scoreboard impact against Freo, failing that, time for a lengthy spell in The VFL.

Hypnotise, surely. Get him on song upstairs ASAP. Not sure what's going on with the coaching and confirmed that Sav has departed (or private tuition continues?)?
Battled well last night vs 2 at every occasion.

I personally think we need a kicking coach for the entire team. Okay Levi has a problem which I hope he can rectify but FFS the rest of the team isn't much better from 40 out. It amazes me in this day and age that professional footballers cannot kick goals when they are in goal kicking position. No we are not going to kick them all but we should be kicking at above 50% when having a shot on goal.

And lets not start on our field kicking cause that is just ordinary at best.

have said it a few times on here, but I don't see why he doesn't try the Jim Stynes method of holding the ball one handed, underneath. May not look great, but less scope to murder the ball drop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If professional golfers can completely rebuild their swing mid-career, then Cas can fix his kicking. It's really not that difficult. If he can't by the end of the year, then he never will and we need to cut our losses and flog him off to the highest bidder.
The thing is, I don't think he wants to fix the problem. He had one of the best kicks of the footy teaching him last year and it was working for him. As soon as the help stopped Cas went back to his old habits. He doesn't want it bad enough

I've given up hope of him fixing his set shots.

Every time he shanks one you can see his confidence just die a bit more... There was one miss on the weekend where he pulled his jumper over his head like it was going to be a Harry Potter invisibility cloke and make him disappear.

If he could even kick as good as the average park footballer he would be a real weapon for us.

If professional golfers can completely rebuild their swing mid-career, then Cas can fix his kicking. It's really not that difficult. If he can't by the end of the year, then he never will and we need to cut our losses and flog him off to the highest bidder.
Champions when they face adversity work harder and smarter, I am not seeing that with Cas. practicing a flawed technique reinforces it. Combined with his anxiety when faced with a kick on goal The guy needs better than a Sav can deliver he may be able to get him to kick well for a week or 3 but Cas will always revert to his own style.

Sadly it is fixable but it needs a person who can clear his thinking and understands individual body design/ Geometry to teach him his personal alignments.

have said it a few times on here, but I don't see why he doesn't try the Jim Stynes method of holding the ball one handed, underneath. May not look great, but less scope to murder the ball drop
No way. One main problem with his technique is that he violently pulls his right hand away from the ball and out to his side when he releases it. That, and the high release point, is why the ball is so off-axis and ****ed up by the time he swings his giant boot through it.

If he held it underneath, he bowl it like a leg break onto his boot! lol

Needs to simplify it. Right hand guides ball to release at the lowest point and arm/hand follows through to almost brushing his right thigh, not out like signalling a four in cricket. Can't kick the ball straight if it isn't stationary.

It's pretty easy from this armchair, I will admit.

oh the thread is about 'technique' not fixing the forward issue...my bad in previous post..:oops:

well Levi pulls his right hand away because he kicks the ball with his right hip swinging around in an arc - the right hand move away clears for and triggers the violent hip move around - which explains his lack of accuracy more than his hand movements do I think. He shoudl kick off two steps and change his thinking about what he needs to do- someone at an early age taught him how to kick the ball long and big - and young Levi pretty much adopted a golf slicers big move- hitting across or over the ball not out and through.

Hypnotise, surely. Get him on song upstairs ASAP. Not sure what's going on with the coaching and confirmed that Sav has departed (or private tuition continues?)?
Battled well last night vs 2 at every occasion.
Yep. Even if he thinks he's a chicken, as long as he kicks it like a chicken that believes it can kick straight.

oh the thread is about 'technique' not fixing the forward issue...my bad in previous post..:oops:

well Levi pulls his right hand away because he kicks the ball with his right hip swinging around in an arc - the right hand move away clears for and triggers the violent hip move around - which explains his lack of accuracy more than his hand movements do I think. He shoudl kick off two steps and change his thinking about what he needs to do- someone at an early age taught him how to kick the ball long and big - and young Levi pretty much adopted a golf slicers big move- hitting across or over the ball not out and through.
I don't think the swinging hips help, but if you kick a ball that is tumbling at all angles, shits gonna go everywhere.

Our forward line is struggling now, how bad will not be if we drop our only decent contested mark from the side because he is struggling with his kicking at goal? We won't get more goals if Levi ain't there because the alternatives haven't shown any capacity to get their hands on it in contested marking situations.
How long do you play a forward that isn't kicking goals? Even one who plays further up the ground?

It is somewhat dismissive to suggest the alternatives wouldn't kick any more goals. Jones, Jaksch or even Gorringe would only need to kick a couple of goals to be comfortably exceeding Levi's output & there inclusion would fit in more with a game plan which is based around hitting targets rather than long kicks into the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back