Delisted 41. Levi Casboult

Remove this Banner Ad

I still reckon that we get Whitnall or Hamill down to the club to help Cas with his kicking. Fev is going to want 10k/week to be his teacher I reckon.
assistent with the saints

The greatest and most accurate goal kickers of all time all crouched over the ball and bent their back so that the drop of the ball and the kick were as small as possible.

The crouched position also focused the kickers sight on the target.

Three of the most accurate goal kickers of all time. Lockett. Dunstall. ....and yes Madden, he kicked at higher than 60% accurary all did it.

Watch for yourself.

Somebody at the club show Levi this video and let him try out this new way to kick.

One change and he could become a 50 goal forward.

Just sick to the core with Levi.

He is like Hampson, teases, teases, teases but ultimately is not up to the grade.

He doesn't have it between the ears. Seriously he could go to a million dollar a year forward if he would I prove his kicking.

Was improving under Sav but has now thrown that out the window.

Take his easy paycheck away from him and then see how much he laments not listening -0 years from now when he is mowing people's lawns instead of setting himself up for life.

Guy is one of the best marks in the AFL can kick for sh*t just so bloody annoyed he is on our list.

He is just pure frustration!

Our forward line is struggling now, how bad will not be if we drop our only decent contested mark from the side because he is struggling with his kicking at goal? We won't get more goals if Levi ain't there because the alternatives haven't shown any capacity to get their hands on it in contested marking situations.

It must be so demoralising for a few of our mids who do work hard to get the ball up there only for him to miss time and time again. We collectively drop our heads and the opposition get a run-on. I know people say he's important to our structure, but he might be doing more harm than good. Play him further up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFAIK, and using my own technique as a guide, you don't lose contact with the football until a few moments after you begin to release the football, and this allows you to guide it to the boot somewhat. That aspect of the action can vary, but pick up a football and pay attention to what you do: you probably start to bring the ball down to your foot while letting your hand drift off to the side without disrupting an initial, slight push, and this likely also drags the ball a little to the outside of your body as the overall action accelerates the time from boot to ball ever so slightly.

That's a good thing: you're allowing your body to offer an extra layer of information on the trajectory of the ball 'drop'.

So while I definitely agree he releases it from too high up, he also seems to limit that little extra guide unnecessarily, which through a combination of hand-eye coordination and proprioception (maybe a 'word of the day' for some of you :p) of his hand relative to his foot would give him a further idea of how to kick at it.

At that point, he won't need to worry about obsessively getting lower (though maybe a tad), because he will start to find an instinctive rhythm of where the ball is travelling from release, and how he can manipulate that with his boot.

As things stand, he is panicking a lot, and has been over-instructed to the point of it having become a stress trigger, and that's making all matters much worse. I don't think we want any one losing sleep at night over an issue like this.

While I don't agree with the notion that elite kicks 'can't be taught', there is certainly an unique series of elements for each individual in terms of translating common theory into practice for their given size, shape and skill set that requires them to take some responsibility over refining the technique. Rather than getting 1000 different theories (though I say that with no disrespect to anyone in this thread, we're mug punters having a worthwhile discussion from our perspective), I think Levi needs to start taking ownership of the problem and leadership of the solution, and that can be kick-started (pardon the pun) with a few conversations framed in the correct way.

Bolts, as a former teacher, would have a better idea of the correct techniques than I, but it's simply a question of how much time he's willing to invest. If Liam Jones is any guide, between himself and his coaching staff, they're prepared to do it.

no. not up to it. he's 26 and in his prime. go to training and he works hard at his kicking. its not for lack of effort. he doesn't do enough anyway. i always thought his best role would be as a 3rd tall/ruck player not a key target.

agree he isn't up to it.hampson 2.0.. never rated him outside of his strong marks he takes one a game. I feel the coaches think the same main reason we brought in gorringe as a free agent..

Partially a flawed, ingrained technique and also partially between the ears, so sadly it's hard to see it being fixed without him being successfully hypnotized and re-trained...
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
fc4e4714a001a6625661a54fb24537b9

Partially a flawed, ingrained technique and also partially between the ears, so sadly it's hard to see it being fixed without him being successfully hypnotized and re-trained...
Spot on. During his practice session an hour before the game, he was kicking them through the goals even with his flawed technique! The problem is as much above the shoulders as poor technique.

gotta feel for big fella as his leading has been really good lately , everybody will be in his ear on how to fix the kicking and he'd have to feel low about it to..

In saying that i'll give my advice , take the mark , walk back (dont look to give it off) wheel around and play on..as his field kicking is so much better then his upright stance....

I have seen Levi play most of his AFL games and have always been a fan but being at the game last night I think we need to leave him out. We effectively have 3 big guys playing with Kreuzer and Phillips who give us very little around the ground. Phillips is probably the best performed and is ahead of MK at present.
Next week I would like to see Levi out of the side for KJ who again did well in the magoos leaving us with a shorter more mobile forward line. I also think Rowe is done and you almost shudder when he goes near the ball wondering what mistake he will make.

Get Sav back.......FFS

I'll personally pay his wages for a month!

Actually take it out of Levi's paycheque!
You would think with a contract up for renewal this year that he could fork out the money himself, in his best interest to do so. He could be on very good money if he could kick for goal. Even last year though when he was kicking some goals, that ball drop didn't change. There is just so much that can go wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back