Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw him play in the u18 champs. The highlights sums him up as he didn't dominate by any stretch, but did some good things and obviously moves well. I believe he played for Yeronga but dont think he even played seniors but someone on the QFA board might be able offer more on that.
(Checking stats I see he did play
3 senior games for one best on against Burleigh where he kicked 6.)
And QFA is the 3rd tier up here but at least he has played against men (albeit with a few overweight couldabeens).

Will be very interesting to see how he handles Melb winter, wet grounds, big men and the speed of the game

pretty sure he also played 2 games for brisbane in the NEAFL

Excellent pickup. This is exactly what the rookie draft is for.
Not just a token athletic pick, seems like he has a pretty good footy brain too and gets involved around the ground.
This is the exact type of player who can really thrive in a full time professional environment- I'll definitely be getting to more reserves games next season.
I've been sayin for ages we need a black guy!
Speaking of black guys, what happened to Gideon Simon?

Speaking of black guys, what happened to Gideon Simon?

I think he got delisted & went back home? Others more in the know may be able to better advise?

I'm curious if he just wasn't good enough or was there more to it...

I'm guessing he didn't come on . Was quite short but strong in tackling I think. Seemed nice I met him briefly at a seconds game on the boundary...

I'm excited about the fella and I wish him huge success and his athletic talent will be something special one day.

If I can play Devils advocate for a moment. Sudanese birth certificates can be an interesting issue. A lot of countries in Africa do not record birth dates. There can be 1-3 years difference in ones age to the one they present in their Australian birth certificate.

I am not saying that Mabior is older/younger then 18. But I'm just interested to know if this is taken into account when drafting footballers of Sudanese decent. I remember reading about some young Latin baseballers buying other kids birth certificates to make it in big leagues. This sort of stuff would be pretty common in Africa I'm assuming.
Well I hope he's only 15 and grows another 10cm's by his real 18th birthday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could this kid develop into a Mark Blicavs style player? He seems to have similar attributes and play in a variety of positions.

Could this kid develop into a Mark Blicavs style player? He seems to have similar attributes and play in a variety of positions.

Have heard some experts say if he pans out that's what he could be.

My query is that Chol looks quite talented. Impressive foot skills, great speed and height. Yes he might take a while to develop, but why didn't Brisbane pick him?

He'd be a smokey for a sneaky game late in the year, to give Ivan and Shaun a rest before finals.
Would be awesome, the last mark in his highlights vid shows why being slight might not be too much of a problem- with his leap he can float 0.5 metres in front of the pack to take the mark, while everyone else clatters into each other and hurt themselves behind him!

yeah but why didn't Brisbane pick him up...
Maybe they decided to fix other positions with their picks, they certainly have a lot they need to fix.
They already have a lot of 18-20 year olds who are that tall, there are only so many positions to fill in a team for a player of that size

Maybe they decided to fix other positions with their picks, they certainly have a lot they need to fix.
They already have a lot of 18-20 year olds who are that tall, there are only so many positions to fill in a team for a player of that size
I think Brisbane have put their chips on draft pick Hipwood, not too many agile 200cm left-footers who can ruck and kick goals. Then again Brisbane don't want to put all its eggs in the x-factor basket. I hope Brisbane's loss will be Richmond's gain.

I think Brisbane have put their chips on draft pick Hipwood, not too many agile 200cm left-footers who can ruck and kick goals. Then again Brisbane don't want to put all its eggs in the x-factor basket. I hope Brisbane's loss will be Richmond's gain.
Hipwood is mostly a defender, but maybe they have other intentions for him
They now have Schache, Andrews & Hipwood who are 198-202cm and all three are 18-19 years of age
Plus they have two 20 year old rookies who are similar
Another project tall of the same age would create a bit of an imbalance in the list, especially when these are on top of existing senior players

That's what I thought until I looked at their list and ruck stocks. It's shite.
Martin/West both nearly 30 and one kid who is rookie. And then they are looking at their key positions to 'stop gap'. But long term they must be looking at FA or have one or two in mind next year.
Chol is 2-3 years away at best anyway....unless he plays wing.

That's what I thought until I looked at their list and ruck stocks. It's shite.
Martin/West both nearly 30 and one kid who is rookie. And then they are looking at their key positions to 'stop gap'. But long term they must be looking at FA or have one or two in mind next year.
Chol is 2-3 years away at best anyway....unless he plays wing.
That might be the position he's best suited. A bit away from the crash and bash of the middle but able to pinch hit in the ruck if required. Didn't Richmond have a reasonable tall wingman once? Anyway, no-one has a crystal ball but I wish Mabior all the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back