Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

My query is that Chol looks quite talented. Impressive foot skills, great speed and height. Yes he might take a while to develop, but why didn't Brisbane pick him?

yeah but why didn't Brisbane pick him up...

If we followed Brisbane's drafting methods we'd be in the same position as Brisbane.

images-1.jpeg
That might be the position he's best suited. A bit away from the crash and bash of the middle but able to pinch hit in the ruck if required. Didn't Richmond have a reasonable tall wingman once? Anyway, no-one has a crystal ball but I wish Mabior all the best.

Last edited:
I'm excited about the fella and I wish him huge success and his athletic talent will be something special one day.

If I can play Devils advocate for a moment. Sudanese birth certificates can be an interesting issue. A lot of countries in Africa do not record birth dates. There can be 1-3 years difference in ones age to the one they present in their Australian birth certificate.

I am not saying that Mabior is older/younger then 18. But I'm just interested to know if this is taken into account when drafting footballers of Sudanese decent. I remember reading about some young Latin baseballers buying other kids birth certificates to make it in big leagues. This sort of stuff would be pretty common in Africa I'm assuming.
In that case, I'm hoping he's 9-years-old and by the time he's 18, he'll be 9'5".

That's what I thought until I looked at their list and ruck stocks. It's shite.
Martin/West both nearly 30 and one kid who is rookie. And then they are looking at their key positions to 'stop gap'. But long term they must be looking at FA or have one or two in mind next year.
Chol is 2-3 years away at best anyway....unless he plays wing.
I know they have crap ruck stocks, but they can depend on Stefan Martin for a bit longer as long as he doesn't walk out on them.
My point was that you can't have too many development players of the same age in the same positions. Too hard to give them all the game time they need to develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One variable i haven't seen raised yet is his family. From the article poster earlier in the age, his connections are very strong. I can't imagine he'd move from them or last for long without them in melb. I hope he does. Surely the club would have considered this before drafting him. Hopefully there is a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be anything. His skills for a big lad are excellent. Like that he's a lefty as well!
I love the fact we've taken some risks on speculative picks as well as added solid foot soldiers. Hopefully these last 2 off seasons will tip us over the edge from being a good club to a great one again.

412617.jpg
412619.jpg
412625.jpg
412627.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back