Past Zach Tuohy

Remove this Banner Ad

I've noticed Tohy's price in SC is really juicy, should I go after him?

I think it would be best to wait and see on that one. At this stage I have Zach on the bench for round 1 but he's far from a guaranteed starter. Keep an eye on him throughout the preseason before committing to him.

Tuohy to the midfield
"I've seen vision of (Jim) Stynes and (Sean) Wight playing for Melbourne, and of course Tadhg Kennelly (Sydney) who is the only Irishman to win a premiership, and while it's certainly very flattering, I'd be very reluctant to lay claim to anything that outlandish," he said. "I'd gladly give up my kicking if I could play as well as any of those guys, and win a premiership."
Tuohy to the midfield

Love that.

Tuohy on a wing is a mouth-watering prospect. Right up there with the best users of the ball at the club and putting him in a position where he can use that to drive us deep into the forward line will be highly advantageous.

Not to mention having a player could even push forward at times and be a genuine scoring threat from anywhere within 60 metres.

Likely won't play as a permanent midfielder in 2013 but there's no reason why he can't down the track. Will start on a wing but for mine he has all the attributes to have an impact as an inside midfielder and I'd love to see him trialed in that role at some stage.

Looking forward to him taking the next step in his development. Showed he can be a really good footballer at AFL level and hopefully 2013 is the year when he starts to deliver on a weekly basis. Certainly has it in him.

2013 looms as a defining season for Zach Tuohy. He is playing under a coach in Malthouse who has experienced the highs and lows of the Irish experiment having coached Marty Clarke into becoming one of the more surprising impact players several years ago at the Pies. Sadly, Clarke decided to return home to Ireland before we got to see his peak - but has since returned after Malthouse left the Pies. I would expect Malthouse to determine which position Tuohy is best suited at at the AFL level - whether that is as a sweeping defender or as a half forward with his goal scoring ability. As the club have a number of promising young players coming through at both of the positions Tuohy has been primarily played at, Tuohy risks being superfluous to list requirements if he has a poor season. I hope that is not the case as I'm a fan of his pure abilities and developing ruggedness.

Good call. He took to the game so quickly, I think we all expected him to keep up the same development curve - however he's been a bit quieter in the last 12 months. He's tough, strong, quick and has a beautiful kick - so I think once he has about 50-75 games under the belt we'll see him take quite a step up. He's already played 30 games so over this season he should really consolidate his position.

I was at the game last night and I kept a very close eye on Tuohy. I thought he played reasonably well and was very accountable the whole game. His defensive nous seems to have improved significantly from his earlier games, almost to the detriment of his natural game as he seems very conscious of keeping his direct opponent close rather than trying to run off him.

He played as the last defender for large parts of the second half against against King and Martin (he played mainly on Edwards in the first and beat him comfortably IMO) and only once do I recall him being beaten by Martin which was at the very end when he was just out muscled by him. He missed a couple of marks he might have taken but I thought his kicking and decision making coming out from the back was decent. He was comfortably better the Duigan and Joseph IMO and about on a par with Bootsma (who looks like he could develop into a real Dustin Fletcher type player for you guys) in a backline that was under pressure for large parts of the game due to your struggles in the middle.

Been really good the last couple of weeks, been in the best form of his career just about :thumbsu:

Zach opens up

Carlton defender Zach Tuohy says if he wasn’t playing football, he’d be eating fish and chips – possibly every day – like he did at school.
The 23-year-old Irishman has spoken to Croc Media, also revealing that when he goes back home to Ireland he needs to “put on” an Irish accent, because friends and relatives back home think he sounds like an Aussie.

Fish & Chips Zach?

Tuohy kicking on nicely

The Carlton defender has developed into a vital player for the Blues since being drafted from Ireland in the 2010 rookie draft.
Tuohy kicking on nicely

Has absolutely developed into an integral part of the side now and going forward.

We have seen huge improvement in his 1 one 1 defensive ability and we know how dangerous he can be with ball in hand.

Terrific footballer who has plenty more to offer. For mine he's the logical replacement for Scotland over the next year or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great pic from the HUN's Wayne Ludbey from today's training session.

https://twitter.com/WLudbey

BPbOTjDCYAA1-Vm.jpg

I have been very impressed with Zach's media rounds this year. He is a genuinely funny bloke who doesn't take stupid questions too seriously and is not easily baited by journo's.

I write an AFL column for an Irish website and in this week's installment I suggested that Tuohy is in line for a good finish in the Carlton Best and Fairest. Given he's played every game and has been one of your more consistent performers I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

I was just wondering how high you guys see him finishing? Is he a chance for Top 5?

The column is here for anyone who fancies a read
http://www.livegaelic.com/features/...irish-experiment-afl-round-19-hanley-on-fire/

I write an AFL column for an Irish website and in this week's installment I suggested that Tuohy is in line for a good finish in the Carlton Best and Fairest. Given he's played every game and has been one of your more consistent performers I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

I was just wondering how high you guys see him finishing? Is he a chance for Top 5?

The column is here for anyone who fancies a read
http://www.livegaelic.com/features/...irish-experiment-afl-round-19-hanley-on-fire/

His jobs have been very well rated all year, even when he hasn't got a lot of the ball.

6-10 more likely but another few good games and who knows?

His jobs have been very well rated all year, even when he hasn't got a lot of the ball.

6-10 more likely but another few good games and who knows?

Thanks Harker

That was the range I was thinking alright for much the same reasons, as he wasn't getting enough ball to really be cosidered in the best handful in a game. I'd have Walker, Henderson and Simpson as locks for the Top 5 but after that its hard to know especially considering Murphy hasn't been great, Kreuzer has missed games and Judd, Garlett and Jamison have been up and down.

See him now in the No.42

“My parents are over for a minute now and we’ve talked about how bizarre it is, that you can grow up Ireland doing something else and this chain of events can lead you here and on to the MCG to play in a pretty good game against the Tigers in your 50th,” Zach said.
See him now in the No.42

50th game coming up this weekend for Zach. :thumbsu:

Has developed into a terrific footballer and certainly one of our better performers across the season.

WallsTuohyArticle_620X370.jpg

Do we have a most improved award at the BnF? Would be close to winning that.

So much is happening in Zach’s life right now. His partner Rebecca, whom he met through Levi Casboult’s sister and whose family hail from the old goldfields town of Bendigo, is expecting their first child in January, and he’s in the final stages of securing Australian citizenship status.
Half way to getting another father son potentially ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back