Retired 46. Matthew Wright Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude but it was good to see Wright playing well. Seems the Blues are using him predominantly as a small forward. I think this is the right choice. At Adelaide, Wrighty had a breakout year playing as a small forward/part-time mid in 2012. He played really well in the midfield that year so the club pushed him to play more minutes there but his form gradually declined the following years.

I'm still of the opinion that he always looked better playing as a goal sneak. He has excellent goal sense, especially close to the goals. It's probably the best part of his game. When he's in form you can easily get 3-4 goals out of him like you saw last night. His set shot kicking is also accurate but he can't really kick long. Providing the Blues remember this and use him properly, he's a bargain.

Sorry to intrude but it was good to see Wright playing well. Seems the Blues are using him predominantly as a small forward. I think this is the right choice. At Adelaide, Wrighty had a breakout year playing as a small forward/part-time mid in 2012. He played really well in the midfield that year so the club pushed him to play more minutes there but his form gradually declined the following years.

I'm still of the opinion that he always looked better playing as a goal sneak. He has excellent goal sense, especially close to the goals. It's probably the best part of his game. When he's in form you can easily get 3-4 goals out of him like you saw last night. His set shot kicking is also accurate but he can't really kick long. Providing the Blues remember this and use him properly, he's a bargain.
And boy howdy do we need a goal sneak!

Wright will be a great pick up for us... very underrated at Adelaide I felt and will be a good little goal sneak for us. He might not have all the tricks of Betts but he provides something that Eddie never did. Chase and pressure.

Wright will be a great pick up for us... very underrated at Adelaide I felt and will be a good little goal sneak for us. He might not have all the tricks of Betts but he provides something that Eddie never did. Chase and pressure.

cant agree with you there Dram.

From his first season Eddie was mowing them down in the forward 50.

What? Eddie was a pioneer of forward pressure. You must have him confused with Fev.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well anyhow, Eddie and a few other guys who would play small forward are long gone now, so someone like Wright should be very handy. He mightn't have the wizardry or skills of an Eddie but he does seem to provide excellent pressure and 1%'ers up forward which we have been missing. Army has done the role a bit before but I don't think he's quite as good/creative around goals.

I was pumped to see Matty kicking a few snags last night, hopefully he keeps up the good work this year and shuts up the idiots that bagged the club out for picking him up for FREE!!, I thought it was a great move back in December and even more excited about the bargain pick up now.
Wishlist: Just another 30+ goals please Matty for the rest of the year, thanks champ.

Must be a coaches dream, this man. Does what he's asked to, applies plenty of pressure, goes in hard and can find the goals.

This.

Just watched the game again to watch a couple of players. He has the type of attitude that will rub off positively on the younger blokes. Exactly what we needed. Great forward thinking by the likes of SOS and Bolts.

I've been dreaming of the day we recruit one of these midget forward types that always seem to kill us! Great first game!
And one of those midget forward types who can draw high frees, like Puopolo lol

More I watch him, the more he's fast growing on me.

The reality is even the flag winning teams won't have superstars in every position. Someone like Wright could prove an extremely useful asset to us. Worst comes to the worst, he's good depth and a strong body. But he could also be a genuinely good contributor for us, almost a Puopolo type. Leaves nothing in the tank, goes all day, applies great pressure and can find the goals on his day.

I watched him closely in the Richmond game and even just little clever tap ons or pressure acts made a big difference in our forward half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back