Player Watch #5 Abbey Dowrick

Remove this Banner Ad

I would give best on ground to her yesterday.

“Western Australian midfielder Abbey Dowrick threw herself into every contest at The Hangar, making her mark as the youngster to watch this season.

The 19-year-old’s contested inside work was exceptional, never shying away from the opportunity for a smother or hard tackle.

“Abbey Dowrick performed really well,” head coach Lauren Arnell said.

“I know Abs will only continue to get better as well.”

Abbey is undoubtedly a fantastic recruit. We will need to hold onto her and hopefully can build around her. At only 19 she has so much improvement left in her and is probably our best player already.

The only flaws I saw on the weekend were a few of the easy free's she gave away and some of the lack of intensity on the defensive side of the contest. Not a huge issue, but maybe doesn't work as hard when the ball isn't going her way. If she can balance that up, she might well be one of the comps best in no time.

Abbey is undoubtedly a fantastic recruit. We will need to hold onto her and hopefully can build around her. At only 19 she has so much improvement left in her and is probably our best player already.

The only flaws I saw on the weekend were a few of the easy free's she gave away and some of the lack of intensity on the defensive side of the contest. Not a huge issue, but maybe doesn't work as hard when the ball isn't going her way. If she can balance that up, she might well be one of the comps best in no time.

Had a look at the replay yesterday. I think she will be an even better player if she learns not to just blaze forward every time. She's a bit like Ollie Wines in that way. Just learn when to put the ball on the boot and when to give off to a teammate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back