Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair play to Stants, but should have put his hand up and let someone take his place.

If every player carrying an injury did that, the season would be over by May.

LFktLGO.gif

so many people on this board let average players get away with so much , if he was hindered he should not have been playing .

All relative isn't it? Go stand by the fence at a game, listen to the sound of bodies smashing - fine to question whether a player is hard enough for AFL, but anyone who mocks a player for not being so fails to understand that just getting out there probably makes them much harder than they.

Stants 'ain't Glenn Archer but he's generally harder than what he served up against North. I say this having excelled at reserves level in the ammos for 50 games - the hardest, toughest level if the game there is.

Reputations are built and forged on finals games. Sadly, Brent Stanton will be remembered for last weeks final rather than the 100 odd hard running highly productive games he has produced across his career.

Brent has been a fine servant of this club and deserves so much more respect. I very much doubt he will be remembered by a couple of finals games. He makes up a very important part of the fabric that is called "team". I sometime wonder if people understand that its a team sport this one, and it reigns supreme in most successful clubs.

If every player carrying an injury did that, the season would be over by May.

Of course but it doesn't apply to those who still performed while they were injured.

It's all part of being a good team, one soldier goes down another comes in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good players play well in finals; Brent ;) didn't plan and simple. We will only contend for the flag when he is no longer in the team.

No, it shows how much of an airhead you are.
Sorry Ben, being fortunate enough to attend the 1985 GF has probably attributed to my lack of sympathy towards mediocre players who have clogged our list for the past 10 years.
Considering we had to release Hardwick post 2001, it galls me to have sat through the past decade. Until the ruthlessness returns to our club we will continue to exist in ladder positions 7 - 12

Sorry Ben, being fortunate enough to attend the 1985 GF has probably attributed to my lack of sympathy towards mediocre players who have clogged our list for the past 10 years.
Considering we had to release Hardwick post 2001, it galls me to have sat through the past decade. Until the ruthlessness returns to our club we will continue to exist in ladder positions 7 - 12

Sorry but if you don't know the name of a player who's going to play his 250th for the club next year, you're not worth a pinch of s**t as a fan.

Yep
Sorry but if you don't know the name of a player who's going to play his 250th for the club next year, you're not worth a pinch of s**t as a fan.

Yep! 250 games, how many times has he been named in the best when we've won a final? It's pretty simple Ben, Stanton has gone missing in the past in big games and he will continue to go missing when it truly counts. Make all the excuses you want for Stanton, it doesn't negate the fact he's finished.

Injury or no injury he allowed Goldstein to run past during the last quarter, when the game was on the line he couldn't beat a ruckman in a race for the ball.

Would you see players like Mundy, Lewis or Bartel let that happen?

If we accept this mediocrity, and continue to make excuses for weak efforts it will be a long time before we win another flag.

Yep

Yep! 250 games, how many times has he been named in the best when we've won a final? It's pretty simple Ben, Stanton has gone missing in the past in big games and he will continue to go missing when it truly counts. Make all the excuses you want for Stanton, it doesn't negate the fact he's finished.

Injury or no injury he allowed Goldstein to run past during the last quarter, when the game was on the line he couldn't beat a ruckman in a race for the ball.

Would you see players like Mundy, Lewis or Bartel let that happen?

If we accept this mediocrity, and continue to make excuses for weak efforts it will be a long time before we win another flag.
You mean the one final in 2004 which was also Stanton's debut year?

He did look hindered towards the end of the year and I would imagine a hip problem would be a large cause of this.

I just don't understand why Essendon supporters jump on him so quickly and often.

You call it as you see it. Extenuating circumstances do not factor into it, unless you have no option but to play him. As it was, we had plenty waiting in the wings for their chance. That should have happened, especially if the club knew he was carrying an injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back