AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas - Late in vs Richmond - 25/5

Remove this Banner Ad

3 months = 12 weeks, the bye is round 14. So I guess we’ll see him after the bye?

They didn’t originally give us a time frame just said they’ll consult the surgeon after the surgery is done. I think Blitz said 12 weeks and Timmy said 8, with 8 being this Friday.

I hope it means they’ve taken the Dylan Shiel route of fixing it properly and not just snipping out a bit of cartilage every year or two until there’s none left.
I thought Mahoney had originally said it’d be 8-10 weeks all up.

3 months = 12 weeks, the bye is round 14. So I guess we’ll see him after the bye?

They didn’t originally give us a time frame just said they’ll consult the surgeon after the surgery is done. I think Blitz said 12 weeks and Timmy said 8, with 8 being this Friday.

I hope it means they’ve taken the Dylan Shiel route of fixing it properly and not just snipping out a bit of cartilage every year or two until there’s none left.
That was Dylan’s decision not the clubs.

Everything I've been told recently (going through own knee stuff).
They are getting increasingly unlikely to do tidy ups and snipping for these issues.
That used to be the first thing done for us plebs on the street even.

It may be different for the elites but the feeling I got was that the thinking has shifted in this space with the long term cons outweighing getting back quicker.

it'd be really cool if we just got a competent medical team instead of making up for our current s**t one by making everyone sit out an extra 50% longer
How have they screwed this one up?

In fact this year it seems like guys are coming back when they're actually ready, not being rushed back because they're sort of ready.

On track to start running in the next 2-3 weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, a little confused here. I get we're taking the cautious approach with Elijah, but since when is a torn meniscus a 6 month injury? 🤔

I mean it's been 12 weeks, since his surgery, and eta is another 9 weeks??

Is that right?

So, a little confused here. I get we're taking the cautious approach with Elijah, but since when is a torn meniscus a 6 month injury? 🤔

Is that right?
Yeah was thinking the same thing. My only thought was he was injured a lot of last year, and came near last at our 2km time trial this year before meniscus, therefore currently he is so far behind in his running/conditioning that he will need a few months solid to get back upto speed.

Is that right?
Yeah it's a weird one. The injury was towards the end of January (12 weeks ago). Some scuttlebutt on the other forum and on SEN said 8-12 weeks, but according to the club he had surgery to repair it with no time frame given for a return until after the surgeon had been consulted post-op. There was no update given after that.

Then at the start of March he was spotted on the training track, presumably doing skills work, while they had 3-4 months listed on the injury report... 3 months being the bye and 4 being about Round 18.

Two weeks ago they said he'd start running in 2-3 weeks.

Now the injury report says 9-10 weeks... which also takes us to the bye in Round 14.

Guessing that it's probably a month of running ("building up progressions"), a couple of weeks of full training and a couple of weeks in the VFL at 50% or 70% game time or whatever, then he should be medically fit.

Whether he actually plays a game at AFL level this year remains to be seen... but we might see a debut towards the end of the year if they don't put him on the inactive list.

Is that right?

He wouldn't get a game for us right now anyway so why be anything other than abundantly cautious with a young player's knee?

Is that right?
Torn meniscus can vary depending on severity, where the tear is and how its treated. Missing 12 months is not uncommon if the route is surgery to repair the meniscus rather than trim away the damaged piece. Id say we will be following the Shiel rehab path as it was quite clearly a success. Shiel missed rounds 3-18, and came back ok but still not 100%. No way they'll rush Tsatas.

Torn meniscus can vary depending on severity, where the tear is and how its treated. Missing 12 months is not uncommon if the route is surgery to repair the meniscus rather than trim away the damaged piece. Id say we will be following the Shiel rehab path as it was quite clearly a success. Shiel missed rounds 3-18, and came back ok but still not 100%. No way they'll rush Tsatas.
Ok, yeh makes sense. Just kills me seeing the likes of Sheezel, Ashcroft, Phillipou, Mackenzie & Ginbey all coming through and having impacts.

Really want to see what Tsatas is all about.

On SM-G780G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering how he moved after the foot injury more than happy to take the cautious approach here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back