Business & Finance 52 Week Saving Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Doing it in reverse would be an idea, I think , as you have suggested some do, Gasometer . Would be easier to save $52 this week , than next December/ Jan ?

What about putting a '0' at the end of $1.

Then by Dec you are putting away $520 for that last week.

Well, that's when it gets hairy. You may be a billionaire playboy but us working stiffs can't always find $520 at Christmas. Tiny Tim needs to eat!

End of every day I dump all my coins and $5 notes in a tin.

Fills up probably about once a year. Tends to be around $1300.

It's not a bad way to save that amount.

I do a similar thing, though not with notes. In 2013 I scored around $230 and last year about $260 odd. Was a nice bit of pocket money at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone done this or know of anyone who has done this right through to the 52 week?

Some have suggested doing it in reverse to get away from the Xmas-NYear stress.
I have done something similar. Doing it in reverse kind of defeats the purpose, which is to slowly adjust your week-to-week spending habits by ratcheting up your savings in barely-noticeable increments.

It's less about the net amount you have saved by the end of the first year, and more about training yourself to live within a smaller budget.

End of every day I dump all my coins and $5 notes in a tin.

Fills up probably about once a year. Tends to be around $1300.

It's not a bad way to save that amount.
I'd be careful about doing that. Change jars are the first thing that burglars go for, and most H&C insurance policies only let you claim a very small quantity of cash.

My challenge is basically transferring odd amounts from account to account. For example, if I have $2746.80 in my account, then at then end of a night (not every night necessarily) I transfer 6.80 from the main account into the other. Since late October I now have saved just over $250 this way. The purpose is twofold....a financial safety net should things go pear shaped, or that money could be used to fund big trips (or even a GF ticket if the improbably happens!)

Missus did this last year. She was quite pleased with her efforts. I happily rounded it to $1500 and it's probably going to fund small holiday for us mid year.

She's doing it this year.

We also put silver coins into a tin and any spare goodies into another as a bonus.

My challenge is basically transferring odd amounts from account to account. For example, if I have $2746.80 in my account, then at then end of a night (not every night necessarily) I transfer 6.80 from the main account into the other. Since late October I now have saved just over $250 this way. The purpose is twofold....a financial safety net should things go pear shaped, or that money could be used to fund big trips (or even a GF ticket if the improbably happens!)
Ha, I do this as well, although more on a weekly basis or so.

One year I saved every $5 note I had, and then used it to buy Christmas presents. I had a few hundred dollars and I had some left over after buying everything I needed. It worked quite well but I haven't done it since, for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back