• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Heard on the radio that Health Canada changed their alcohol intake recommendations from 15 drinks per week down to 2.

Interested to hear how often and what you drink. If it's a daily ritual for you, or only on the weekends/certain occasions.

If you're a teetotaller then interested to hear how you became one and if it's due to health, addiction, just not liking it etc.

I have 1-2 drinks on most nights, usually a beer or whiskey with soda water. Don't really drink to get drunk anymore.

Rarely. I can go months between drinks. On those time I do, generally 1 - 3 and it's a spirit. Never having being a fan of the taste of either beer or wine makes it easier to not drink (not that I actively avoid it). Not that I've ever cared when I'm out if people drink or not (as long as they don't turn into a surly or violet drunk). All the latest research seems to be there's no 'safe' amount to drink and the old 'a glass of wine a day is good for you', unfortunately any benefit is far outweighed by the downsides.

Non-drinker. Was always drink to get drunk, never a casual 1 after work, or wine with dinner person. As you get older it’s not worth the hangover. From about 15 years ago would have had crack maybe 3 times a year, last time I was drunk was 2015 at a friends bucks. 1 beer in the last 7 years, well deserved 1 after winning a National Masters Premiership.

Spirit drinker ,maybe 5-6 glasses a night and more as the weekend hits.
Can be gin,malt whisky,jd ,vodka.

Spent 4 years in a mining town in the 90’s, lifetimes worth of drinking in that time. 4 of us still close, me non-drinker, another 1 rarely drinks, just finished a triathlon last month. He said he had a couple of beers at a wake and was pretty well ****ed. Mate 2’s liver shut down couple of years ago, was touch and go for a while. Good now, obviously doesn’t drink. Mate 3, biggest drinker of the lot of us back in the day, still goes at it like he’s 19. Worry like * about him as at some stage he’ll have to pay the piper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, I realise this post may open me up to future ridicule however if it helps someone on here (or someone close to them( re evaluate their relationship with alcohol then I will be happy.

Ill preface this by saying I dont think alcohol is bad. I think it can be a perfectly good way for people to unwind after a hard day, have a great night out or even get rinsed with mates.

Unfortunately I am not one of those people. I was, still am and always will be an alcoholic. I had my last drink ever on the 2nd Feb last year. My wife found me 3/4 quarters of the way through my second bottle of 700 ml Vodka at 2:00pm and the next day I was in rehab. It had been building for a while. In my 20's and early 30's I was ok normal sort of drinker if there is one. Then one day on an overseas trip, my sister called asking me to come home that night as mum was ill and didnt have much time left. I made it back for the last two hours of her life and as she painfully passed all my family were in tears except for me, I was stone cold sitting in that hospital chair emotionless. I buried that grief which started to arise in drinking.

Drinking during the week became normal, then every day. When out with mates and it was my round I ordered three shots of vodka/tequila (I mean who does that??), I started hiding my drinking, drinking alone and then as above got to the stage I was drinking myself to death, everyday was loop of drinking to relieve stress then go to sleep and the cycle starts the very next morning, I still remember the nausea, shakes, sweat, simply not being able to perform basic tasks without having a drink, how I kept my job through this Ill never know. This is for perspective not a boast. I have been on over six figure salaries since I was 25, I have a loving wife and two perfectly healthy kids, we have travelled extensively and from the outside in have a perfect life. Alcoholism can hit anyone.

In rehab I had a psychiatrist, GP and support nurses so it all came out, how much I had been drinking for the last few years (on average 25 drinks a day) and I was diagnosed with PTSD and chronic anxiety and prescribed a pharmacy full of drugs. I did three weeks in rehab then went to live with my Dad on his farm for the next six weeks as my wife wasn't ready to have me back home. The damage I had done to her, my kids, all my family was immeasurable and whilst she still loved me she wanted me to dry out completely before coming back home. Those six weeks were hell. Coming off alcohol addiction was one of the hardest things Ive had to do.

After six weeks I came home but I had a mountain to climb in regaining my wife's trust, explaining to my kids I had/have an illness and I can never drink again. This is when I really woke up. I made myself goals to achieve. Every morning in the gym at 4:30 for weights and I took up boxing. I kept my social life to a minimum, if I caught up with mates it as over breakfast or lunch where no alcohol was present. I started gaining focus and rediscovered my love for work again, other things changed, I started reading more than ever before, listening to music, playing and beating xbox games, every weekend playing either cricket or basketball with my son. Spending two hours of studying maths with my daughter every weekend as she really struggles with it. I was becoming a better father than I had ever been.

After six months of sobriety I got a call from some colleagues I used to work with who wanted to catch up at a pub, I was intrigued and went. When I turned up one said what will it be? "Ill just have a mineral water" he looked astonished as he knew me as a drinker, I told him I had quit (not going into detail why) after 30 minutes of chatting he remarked how good I looked, lost weight, building muscle and a lot of (good) colour in my skin. Then on the spot they offered me a job (cyber security firm) which I could not turn down, it effectively means I can send my kids to private school, go on family holidays pretty much secure our future. This is all from me quitting drinking.

I am now killing it, I'm head of Security Architecture in a large firm, my family life has improved out of sight and everyday I feel focused, bright and ready to hit the day. I am still on medication for chronic anxiety and depression. Valium for the anxiety and anti depressants which are a god send. I know valium is addictive but both my psychiastrist and GP have said your on this for the rest of your life because its working which I'm fine with. Valium does give nice relaxing high.

Nearly 12 months in I catch up with mates who drink, I went to xmas parties where alcohol was abundant, my wife enjoys a glass of wine with dinner and I am completely comfortable with it. I do wonder if I didn't spiral out of control what I would be like now. For me my life is awesome without alcohol but again that is because my mind and body simply cannot handle it.

I'm not a counsellor or anything like that but DM me if you want to have a private chat, if you are having issues there is hope.

Ok, I realise this post may open me up to future ridicule however if it helps someone on here (or someone close to them( re evaluate their relationship with alcohol then I will be happy.

Ill preface this by saying I dont think alcohol is bad. I think it can be a perfectly good way for people to unwind after a hard day, have a great night out or even get rinsed with mates.

Unfortunately I am not one of those people. I was, still am and always will be an alcoholic. I had my last drink ever on the 2nd Feb last year. My wife found me 3/4 quarters of the way through my second bottle of 700 ml Vodka at 2:00pm and the next day I was in rehab. It had been building for a while. In my 20's and early 30's I was ok normal sort of drinker if there is one. Then one day on an overseas trip, my sister called asking me to come home that night as mum was ill and didnt have much time left. I made it back for the last two hours of her life and as she painfully passed all my family were in tears except for me, I was stone cold sitting in that hospital chair emotionless. I buried that grief which started to arise in drinking.

Drinking during the week became normal, then every day. When out with mates and it was my round I ordered three shots of vodka/tequila (I mean who does that??), I started hiding my drinking, drinking alone and then as above got to the stage I was drinking myself to death, everyday was loop of drinking to relieve stress then go to sleep and the cycle starts the very next morning, I still remember the nausea, shakes, sweat, simply not being able to perform basic tasks without having a drink, how I kept my job through this Ill never know. This is for perspective not a boast. I have been on over six figure salaries since I was 25, I have a loving wife and two perfectly healthy kids, we have travelled extensively and from the outside in have a perfect life. Alcoholism can hit anyone.

In rehab I had a psychiatrist, GP and support nurses so it all came out, how much I had been drinking for the last few years (on average 25 drinks a day) and I was diagnosed with PTSD and chronic anxiety and prescribed a pharmacy full of drugs. I did three weeks in rehab then went to live with my Dad on his farm for the next six weeks as my wife wasn't ready to have me back home. The damage I had done to her, my kids, all my family was immeasurable and whilst she still loved me she wanted me to dry out completely before coming back home. Those six weeks were hell. Coming off alcohol addiction was one of the hardest things Ive had to do.

After six weeks I came home but I had a mountain to climb in regaining my wife's trust, explaining to my kids I had/have an illness and I can never drink again. This is when I really woke up. I made myself goals to achieve. Every morning in the gym at 4:30 for weights and I took up boxing. I kept my social life to a minimum, if I caught up with mates it as over breakfast or lunch where no alcohol was present. I started gaining focus and rediscovered my love for work again, other things changed, I started reading more than ever before, listening to music, playing and beating xbox games, every weekend playing either cricket or basketball with my son. Spending two hours of studying maths with my daughter every weekend as she really struggles with it. I was becoming a better father than I had ever been.

After six months of sobriety I got a call from some colleagues I used to work with who wanted to catch up at a pub, I was intrigued and went. When I turned up one said what will it be? "Ill just have a mineral water" he looked astonished as he knew me as a drinker, I told him I had quit (not going into detail why) after 30 minutes of chatting he remarked how good I looked, lost weight, building muscle and a lot of (good) colour in my skin. Then on the spot they offered me a job (cyber security firm) which I could not turn down, it effectively means I can send my kids to private school, go on family holidays pretty much secure our future. This is all from me quitting drinking.

I am now killing it, I'm head of Security Architecture in a large firm, my family life has improved out of sight and everyday I feel focused, bright and ready to hit the day. I am still on medication for chronic anxiety and depression. Valium for the anxiety and anti depressants which are a god send. I know valium is addictive but both my psychiastrist and GP have said your on this for the rest of your life because its working which I'm fine with. Valium does give nice relaxing high.

Nearly 12 months in I catch up with mates who drink, I went to xmas parties where alcohol was abundant, my wife enjoys a glass of wine with dinner and I am completely comfortable with it. I do wonder if I didn't spiral out of control what I would be like now. For me my life is awesome without alcohol but again that is because my mind and body simply cannot handle it.

I'm not a counsellor or anything like that but DM me if you want to have a private chat, if you are having issues there is hope.
Great stuff mate. 👍

Thanks for sharing your story, mate.
It's incredible how alcohol can be so debilitating, and yet many people function in society as alcoholics.

Used to be a carton every fortnight type but I only drink on weekends these days. I barely buy the stuff. It's easy to not drink when I don't have any alcohol, but once I start I don't stop.

Thanks for sharing your story, mate.
It's incredible how alcohol can be so debilitating, and yet many people function in society as alcoholics.

Yeah the perception of an alcoholic is dynamic. In rehab I became good mates with 4 blokes, one was a Chief/Exec level at a big 4 bank, one the same but at one of the big 4 consulting firms and two high powered legal eagles. The big 4 bank chief I spent the most time with, it was his 4th stint (he actually wanted me to come and work at the bank once I was out and sober, been there done that so no).

Whilst alcohol is the drug easiest to get if your homeless, it is a killer in the corporate world (along with coke). These guys would get out of rehab stay sober for 6-12 ,months then gradually fall back into the trap through social drinking (which is expected of you at corporate functions) then bam they are back relying on booze to get through the day and the pressure of being in such a powerful position.

Rehab was completely different to what I thought it would be.

Yeah the perception of an alcoholic is dynamic. In rehab I became good mates with 4 blokes, one was a Chief/Exec level at a big 4 bank, one the same but at one of the big 4 consulting firms and two high powered legal eagles. The big 4 bank chief I spent the most time with, it was his 4th stint (he actually wanted me to come and work at the bank once I was out and sober, been there done that so no).

Whilst alcohol is the drug easiest to get if your homeless, it is a killer in the corporate world (along with coke). These guys would get out of rehab stay sober for 6-12 ,months then gradually fall back into the trap through social drinking (which is expected of you at corporate functions) then bam they are back relying on booze to get through the day and the pressure of being in such a powerful position.

Rehab was completely different to what I thought it would be.

I'd like to ask your opinion, as you've been through the treatment yourself, on the treatment options available.
I understand that the view is that when you're an addict you're an addict for life and the only treatment is complete abstinence (correct me if I'm wrong)
Do you think there is alternate treatment? Do you think somebody who is addicted to alcohol can learn to become purely a moderate or social drinker?

1-3 for me. I've never been a big drinker and have never really enjoyed it or getting drunk. I do like having a pint or 2 with my mates watching the footy but unlike some people I am able to stop at that one or two. I don't drink during the week and I will usually only have 1 or 2 on a Saturday night watching some soccer. If I am at the Glory for a Saturday night game then that 1-3 might go closer to the 4-6 mark as we tend to go to a pub afterwards but actually drinking that much is a rare occasion. I had an 18 month period where I didn't drink at all and I could easily do that again if I wished to and I will admit that the thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

Back