Height: 193cm
Weight: 105kg
DOB: 16/05/88
Club: Collingwood

MFC: Dawes becomes a Demon

Club Profile

Demonwiki

AFL Best yet to come: Dawes

CHRIS Dawes says his best football is ahead of him as he returns to a familiar key forward role inside 50 at his new club, Melbourne.

Down on form in 2012 with Collingwood, the 2010 premiership player said he clearly didn't perform as he would have hoped as a ruckman/forward with the Magpies, but he expected the fresh start to quickly restore his confidence...

Nothin' like a man on a mission.

MFC: Dawes opens up

IN HIS FIRST interview with melbournefc.com.au, key recruit Chris Dawes talks to Matt Burgan about his decision to join the Demons, the lure of playing under coach Mark Neeld and teaming with Mitch Clark, and how he wants to help the club return to the finals …

Said all the right things but emphasised getting back to the finals which is what we want the most.

MFC: Pre-season update: Hogan to Dawes

6. Chris Dawes
It’s been a bit frustrating for Dawesy. After arriving from Collingwood during the trade period, he’s had a few niggles. He’s worked through that and is up and about running now. He will do all of the football training as soon as we start again in the New Year. Chris has fitted in really well and his leadership, similar to Shannon Byrnes, has been very good off the field for the forward line. He’s been really good for our younger tall forwards, who have been able to learn from his experience. So he’s been fantastic in that area.

Leigh Brown

The Age: Dawes open for a fresh start
Since joining the Demons, Dawes' stocks have risen. He was elevated into Melbourne's leadership group, given he and former Geelong forward Shannon Byrnes had plenty to offer given their experiences at successful clubs.

And among Melbourne's younger players, Dawes regularly finds himself drilled for information.

''I'll have casual chats and often it comes round to 'What did you [Collingwood] guys do?''' he said.

''The focus is very much on premierships so it was like 'How did you prepare for finals? What did you do?' And in anything we're doing now it's 'How does this compare to what you were doing?' There's this constant focus on winning a premiership and making sure everything we're doing is trying to breed success and a successful culture.''

MFC: Early doors, but Chris is excited

It was Dawes' first game for Melbourne as well, but speaking at the club's family day at Luna Park on Saturday, Dawes was happy to deflect the attention to Hogan, who he had a close view of from alongside in the forward line.

"I'm more focused on how we're going to be in 12 months' time once we've got that man child running around," Dawes said when asked whether he was frustrated that Hogan won't play this year.

You can't blame him for relishing playing with Hogan, let alone Clark.

Dawes, who crossed from Collingwood at the end of last season, was pleased enough with his own contribution in the opening clash against North Melbourne.

"It was a relief to get out there. Every player gets sick of pre-season training so by the end of it you are happy for the games to come around."

Anyone getting sick of the Dawes puns, they are driving me up the wall. Dawes ajar, Dawes wide open, Early Dawes, Dawes shut, Dawes Locked, fair dinkum these journo's need to find something else to do with their spare time.

Written by the man himself.

The Age: Demons winners, just not yet
The first day I arrived at Melbourne, my old teammate Leigh Brown arranged to meet me in the car park and give me a guided tour. Browny is an assistant coach at Melbourne so he took me through and pointed out all the usual things a player needs to know: the locker room, the gym, the physio rooms and the kitchen.

We got to the final stop, which was the pool and spa area, and he asked me if I had any questions.

''Where's the boot room?'' I said.

He smiled, shook his head, and said: ''We're not at Collingwood any more mate. You clean your own boots.''

And also...

MFC: Dawes earmarked for VFL return
KEY RECRUIT Chris Dawes could be a chance to return via the VFL this weekend, after missing most of the NAB Cup and the opening three rounds of the season with a hamstring injury.

Dawes played in Melbourne’s NAB Cup opener against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on February 22, but has not played since.

Elite performance manager Dave Misson said the 2010 Collingwood premiership player was in the mix to play for Casey against Williamstown at Casey Fields on Saturday night.

“Essentially, Dawesy has finished all of his rehab,” he told melbournefc.com.au.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back