Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gumby took an average of 1.11 contested marks per game over his career to date.
That is not elite.. in fact it isn't even close to average.
His highest average was 1.57 Contested marks per game in the 2013 season.

Joe Daniher already averages 1.48 contested marks per game across his career.
His highest average is 1.56 contested marks per game, this year in his second season.

So, statistically, JD is already a better contested marker than Gumbleton was even at the 'peak' of his career. Gumbleton had many strengths and injuries were cruel.. no doubt. but contested marking was not a strength of his.
1.1 contested marks/game? That's top 50 in the AFL this year, it's not elite but it's better than average.

Gumby took an average of 1.11 contested marks per game over his career to date.
That is not elite.. in fact it isn't even close to average.
His highest average was 1.57 Contested marks per game in the 2013 season.

Joe Daniher already averages 1.48 contested marks per game across his career.
His highest average is 1.56 contested marks per game, this year in his second season.

So, statistically, JD is already a better contested marker than Gumbleton was even at the 'peak' of his career. Gumbleton had many strengths and injuries were cruel.. no doubt. but contested marking was not a strength of his.
You can't really compare Gumby and JD. One was praying not to break down, the other has had a great run at it.

Gumby could have been anything and if you look at his under age highlights he did take some contested grabs.

But it is a pointless comparison in the end.

I miss Gumby though. The annual hype, hope and love fest. He was great for our off season.

Let's be honest, the last thing we want is for him to break down due to getting too big, too quick.

He's already sending some more than subtle warnings out about the player he should become, and that will evolve year on year for the next 3 or 4 years.

Remember he's ruckman size and they say a ruckman doesn't fully mature until their mid 20s. We should use the same theory with JD and enjoy the ride as his development progresses.

joesmile.jpg

Jeez thats harsh. Its a bit hard to build a footballing body if you know...... arent playing the game.

besides daniher doesnt have to be huge, I wouldnt classify Jake as a massive unit but hes strong which has probably come from playing and training consistently, no reason daniher cant do that and no problems with people expecting him to do so.

All I am saying is that there is a small chance that JD won't build sufficient core strength - I used Gumbleton as an example - It's like some players don't build up a strong endurance base.

All guess work with Joe at the moment.

He literally has no idea where to lead 80% of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd keep him in. Bellchambers clearly isn't right and we can't have Carlisle as our only tall forward. More experience will help.

You roll the dice and play Hurley forward - Hooker/Fletcher/Steinberg can be the tall backs.

Bellchambers would have been better last night

I suspect it was a case of picking the two that were least underdone out of Carlisle, Bellchambers and Daniher.

All of a sudden it looks dire when you also consider Thurlow has barely played all year, Pears missed today with a calf/achilles complaint and Kefford was a late withdrawal from the VFL today as well.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but that's far from ideal

I suspect it was a case of picking the two that were least underdone out of Carlisle, Bellchambers and Daniher.

All of a sudden it looks dire when you also consider Thurlow has barely played all year, Pears missed today with a calf/achilles complaint and Kefford was a late withdrawal from the VFL today as well.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but that's far from ideal
I'm even more convinced after watching the VFL today, if Bellchambers wasn't playing we would have lost by 8 goals.

Daniher had 8 touches, 1 hitout, 0.1. Both were poor but Bellchambers at least gives Ryder a chop out. And despite playing 65% of the time out of FF Bellchambers still had 22 hitouts on the weekend and kicked 2 goals.

Kids were literally scared of him at the VFL on Saturday.

Kids were literally scared of him at the VFL on Saturday.
It was hilarious to see. Where were you sitting? I was one of the blokes standing in front of the I/C bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back