VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty happy with this - but hopefully we dont get to see him in the 1's!!

If anything, our last-ish weak point on the list was Ruck and KP Forward cover. He obviously does that, and indirectly gives defensive KP cover as well wtih Carlisle and Hurley being so versatile.

For our last pick rookie spot, you cant complain. Could even have serious upside, but not holding my breath!

Here is a nice little omen if you will: "Sean" Wellman also had 34 games for the Crows to his name when we recruited him from Adelaide.

The difference however is that we never wanted to let Wellman go, he was part of a complex deal to get Darren Jarman to the Crows.

Good luck. Described by Bruce as Dopey, but when switched on fully is definitely a top 22 player. Problem was that he was never switched on for the Crows.

If any of our talls go down. he just about comes in.

It also gives us extra flexability to play 3 tall forwards with 1 genuine ruck, although im still not going to be a massive fan of it.

(Key defender order)
Hooker
Hurley
Gwilt
Pears

(Key forward order)
Carlisle
Daniher
Giles/Mckernan
Ambrose

(Ruck order)
TBC
Giles
Mckernan

The difference however is that we never wanted to let Wellman go, he was part of a complex deal to get Darren Jarman to the Crows.

Good luck. Described by Bruce as Dopey, but when switched on fully is definitely a top 22 player. Problem was that he was never switched on for the Crows.

Did he kick 5 goals once in a NAB game GROTTO

With zero interest shown in the trade period then being delisted, it could be the kick he needs to turn it around and become a more useful player. I can't see him turning into a best 22 player but he provides AFL experienced depth in a position we're sorely lacking.

We were hoping the same thing 12 months ago when he wanted a trade and Adelaide couldn't find any club interested...

Here is a nice little omen if you will: "Sean" Wellman also had 34 games for the Crows to his name when we recruited him from Adelaide.

Heh, it's a nice coincidence, however Wellman was certainly first 21 back then and was traded to secure Darren Jarman (Salmon to Hawthorn), a little bit different than picking up a delisted player in a rookie draft....

anyway, he's always had promise, never had the application for whatever reason... Good luck with him :thumbsu:

i've always liked McKernan, what he lacks is not skills, its in between his ears. He has the attributes and has shown it in glimpses .. i hope he can still make it.

Some big guys take that extra time to develop.

I hope he gets 2 years - which i think he will get. Hopefully he can show us in that time capable.

Some big guys take that extra time to develop.

I hope he gets 2 years - which i think he will get. Hopefully he can show us in that time capable.

The more I think about this selection the more I like it.

Wipe the slate clean. He's got ability and now he has one last chance to make something of himself.

He could be a seriously valuable player if he wants to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good pick up.

Has legitimate key position size, fills two positional needs (could potentially play back as well) and is definitely still young enough to pull the finger out.

He's only 6 months older than Tagliabue

Interesting selection, probably a Neil Craig pick. Not really sure if he is a ruckman or forward. Jack of all trades.......master of none.

Still, I think he's good depth and could play role if needed.

i've always liked McKernan, what he lacks is not skills, its in between his ears. He has the attributes and has shown it in glimpses .. i hope he can still make it.

I've always thought McKernan is a natural ruckman who struggles as a forward. Do you agree with this point of view? How would he go as a KPD?

Now there's a pleasant thought.

Any clue how Martin was going in the magoos before selected in the firsts when he went on his ball tearing run of form?
To be honest, I'm not really sure. I do know that Martin was on the verge of full journeyman status until his break out year as a 27 year old. Better late than never I guess. Good on him! It also means that there's still hope for Jarrad Waite too which should get norf supporters excited.

I've always thought McKernan is a natural ruckman who struggles as a forward. Do you agree with this point of view? How would he go as a KPD?

Would make a good backup ruckman up forward. The marks he took at the SANFL level were good strong competitive marks, not sure why he never translated that to the AFL. He is too loose to play as KPD.

He did have a history of mental health issues pertaining to home sickness playing back in Victoria may actually turn his career around.

And * me, what a super trade that was for all concerned! Win-win-win-win

He's a spud, always has been a spud and always will be a spud. Anyone in here says any different is only saying so because he now wears the red and the black.

He's a spud, always has been a spud and always will be a spud. Anyone in here says any different is only saying so because he now wears the red and the black.

Disagree. I have seen him play well in the ruck at AFL level. Besides at the absolute worst he is an AFL ready body who would have no troubles coming in and rucking 80-90% of a game if Bellchambers and Giles were to get injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back