VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

The debate will be whether they bring in Giles or Steinberg.

Giles will allow Mckernan to spend more time forward but makes us slower.

Steinberg will give us flexibility as either he or Gwilt could play forward, though it means more time for McKernan in the ruck.

Why limit the team in that way?

For the rest of the season he will own the ruck but if there is a better balance, surely we take it?
That 'better balance' doesnt deserve a chance right now.

Mckernan might not be winning the hitoutd against the strongest side in the comp who has 2 rucks but he is making up for it at ground level and around the clearances.

Since McKernans position looks safe is Giles the new saviour?

One really bad game; delist.

Goldstein is basically the best ruck in the comp. McKernan is not suited to being a sole ruck as he is simply not big enough. We should have played Giles tonight.

Depending on what happens with Carlisle and Bellchambers, I could quite easily foresee a role in the forward line with him, pinch hitting in the ruck.

One really bad game; delist.

Goldstein is basically the best ruck in the comp. McKernan is not suited to being a sole ruck as he is simply not big enough. We should have played Giles tonight.

Depending on what happens with Carlisle and Bellchambers, I could quite easily foresee a role in the forward line with him, pinch hitting in the ruck.

That's the role he will be most suitable and effective in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with mckernan from tonight's game, obviously out classed, but tried hard and that's all you can ask. Generous free kicks to goldy didn't help. Can't wait to see him as a genuine forward/2nd ruck when our list allows it.

Also, as I've said before, have complete respect for not picking Giles until he earns his place. A strong statement given we so obviously need him.

I have no problem with mckernan from tonight's game, obviously out classed, but tried hard and that's all you can ask. Generous free kicks to goldy didn't help. Can't wait to see him as a genuine forward/2nd ruck when our list allows it.

Also, as I've said before, have complete respect for not picking Giles until he earns his place. A strong statement given we so obviously need him.

The only problem is the double standard given the selection of Bellchambers and even players like Winderlich who had done * all to ear selection (and Giles has not been that bad for months). Hird is very good at making statements in regard to players he is not in love with.

The only problem is the double standard given the selection of Bellchambers and even players like Winderlich who had done **** all to ear selection (and Giles has not been that bad for months). Hird is very good at making statements in regard to players he is not in love with.

Rubbish.

Bellchambers was poor at AFL but he was our best choice of ruck from the start of the year. He went back to VFL for 1 game and got a lazy 20 touches, 4 goals and was the best out of all of them. ps. they do compete at training also.

Winderlich had 3 games at VFL level and averaged 20 touches and was a class above most of the guys out there.

To say otherwise is just being disingenuous.

Todd was amazing, no doubt. But I was amazed by how many times he'd be on his own while Shaun was on someone else not that far away.

Bellchambers was poor at AFL but he was our best choice of ruck from the start of the year.
By that logic now, Giles is our best choice of ruck right now and should be playing...

Todd was amazing, no doubt. But I was amazed by how many times he'd be on his own while Shaun was on someone else not that far away.

As someone else alluded to, Dean Cox could have played last night and only broken (barely) even such was the dominance of Todd.

Can't believe some in the media are suggesting lots of Brownlow votes for Goldstein

Rubbish.

Bellchambers was poor at AFL but he was our best choice of ruck from the start of the year. He went back to VFL for 1 game and got a lazy 20 touches, 4 goals and was the best out of all of them. ps. they do compete at training also.

Winderlich had 3 games at VFL level and averaged 20 touches and was a class above most of the guys out there.

To say otherwise is just being disingenuous.

Winderlich played 2 games getting cheapies off half back hardly in our top ten players on the ground got charity selection in the afl and played accordingly.

Bellchambers' form was as bad if not worse than Giles'.

Winderlich played 2 games getting cheapies off half back hardly in our top ten players on the ground got charity selection in the afl and played accordingly.

Bellchambers' form was as bad if not worse than Giles'.
You comparing VFL form to AFL. Giles has lost more at VFL than he's won but hey let's not get facts in the way of good story.

Winderlich played half back at AFL level last year getting cheapies.

Your form comment was wrong and needs calling out.

Needs to be played like his brother was later in his career, 2000-2003ish.
CHF most of the game, and ruck 20%.
I can see similarities. Some of the kicks he does into the forward line are so penetrating, and he's incredibly athletic.
I really feel like the crows missed out on one here.

You comparing VFL form to AFL. Giles has lost more at VFL than he's won but hey let's not get facts in the way of good story.

Winderlich played half back at AFL level last year getting cheapies.

Your form comment was wrong and needs calling out.

What better objective confirmation could you get of Winderlich's form than his performance in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back