VFL Past #75: Kurt Aylett

Remove this Banner Ad

No offence mate but you seem to be the list cloggers champion...Dell, Steinberg, Aylett...Gregory....sheesh!!
Since when did I champion Dell? Steinberg has played 3 games, and won the B+F in the VFL comfortably, Aylett averages 11 tackles/game in the VFL and Gregory was a failed project player. No, I'm not championing list cloggers like van Unen, Thurlow, Kommer and Jetta

Kommer and Howlett way better than this kid...at the moment, and they've done far more. Don't think he's a particularly good kick from what i've seen. Hopefully he makes it but rookie list is right spot for him.

It depends where you set the level of expectation.

We'll put up with Howlett's mediocre output because he is hard and tackles (and after 90 odd games it is still flip of a coin as to whether he gets more than 15 possessions in a match as a midfielder which when combined with his disposal is the very definition of mediocre). Let's face it, the main reason he was even re-signed was to manage perceptions of a walk out if he plays next year we've going backwards.

We'll put up with Kommer's mediocre output because he is hard and he tackles (and after 1 season at 23 it is still flip of a coin as to whether he can get 10 possessions as a small forward and half a goal with serious question marks surrounding his disposal).

Aylett is sitting on 20 possessions and 10 tackles a game at VFL level with vastly superior running power that is probably second only to Ambrose and maybe Stanton.

How is it that the kid is not rewarded for the season he had? Why can't he get a season to play the dead weight small forward role? You don't de-list kids who've played their first season at the club the way he has (and totally shut out of the seniors despite a seriously good run of form).

Hams and Kommer spent 2014 injured. Bad luck, they're a year behind the rest of the list.

Seriously, this kid was a steak knife inclusion in the Edwards trade. He played 1 senior game last year and didn't set the world on fire.
Now he is contracted for next year, so they have placed him on the rookie list because ready made players like Kommer, Brown (who's back from injury) and even Kav are all ahead of him in their development.
Were not losing him. All we are doing is letting him develop another year in the reserves (which he would have been doing anyway). This isn't rocket science.

And just because you play good in the reserves doesn't mean you're gonna be good in the 1's.

I think he deserved a senior spot over a couple of our guys.. But hey, what does playing ur ass off and well in the VFL count for?

Seriously, this kid was a steak knife inclusion in the Edwards trade. He played 1 senior game last year and didn't set the world on fire.
Now he is contracted for next year, so they have placed him on the rookie list because ready made players like Kommer, Brown (who's back from injury) and even Kav are all ahead of him in their development.
Were not losing him. All we are doing is letting him develop another year in the reserves (which he would have been doing anyway). This isn't rocket science.

And just because you play good in the reserves doesn't mean you're gonna be good in the 1's.

Have you watched any of these players play? Of course you haven't.

How is the way in which he came to the club even relevant? The point is that he is more than capable of dishing up the stuff played by senior players with far greater potential and the work he put in at reserves level more than justified greater opportunities than he had. When he has acquitted himself so ridiculously well in his first year he should be rewarded not kicked in the guts.

On the subject of Edwards, he still does his own thing out on the park (good as it an be) if anyone need a kick up the arse it is him.

Who do you think you are accusing me of not watching these guys play? You don't know me.
Why don't you accept that maybe you don't know what you're talking about, considering the CLUB and most of the supporters don't have an issue with this.

Shame that he was played as a tagger as he obviously had no idea how to play the position, he should of been allowed the freedom to use his high workrate in a link up floating Stanton type role.

Edwards is the same deal, no specific role, let him run and link up to see if he has the desire before giving him a set role.

Who do you think you are accusing me of not watching these guys play? You don't know me.
Why don't you accept that maybe you don't know what you're talking about, considering the CLUB and most of the supporters don't have an issue with this.

Have you watched them play or not?

It would have been between him and NOB. I would have gone NOB personally but he is a stronger body I guess.

Kommer was best 21 in his last season, he would not get demoted. Hams has played around the same amount of games as Aylett and is spoken of highly by the coaches.

Since when did I champion Dell? Steinberg has played 3 games, and won the B+F in the VFL comfortably, Aylett averages 11 tackles/game in the VFL and Gregory was a failed project player. No, I'm not championing list cloggers like van Unen, Thurlow, Kommer and Jetta
Didn't Michael Quinn win a VFL B&F?

It's purely list stratergy, nothing to do with him not being a wanted player at Essendon!

I wish some of you would wake up!

It's more than that. There is a basis for the decision to demote Aylett and it would seem to ignore so many of the standards that the club is trying to set.

What would have been wrong with telling Brown (never even close to best 22) that he's not played footy for 2 years and that for that reason only he is the lowest ranked player. Or giving Hams an extended contract and telling him that he's got a long way to go to develop the body to play as an inside mid but telling him that he'll get his chance.

Quite seriously, our list is being managed as though we just finished 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say it's still comparable.

A great VFL player does not automatically make a decent AFL player.
It's very different. Quinn got lucky that he was the least mediocre in a crap side. Steinberg was the best in an inconsistent but good side.

It depends where you set the level of expectation.

We'll put up with Howlett's mediocre output because he is hard and tackles (and after 90 odd games it is still flip of a coin as to whether he gets more than 15 possessions in a match as a midfielder which when combined with his disposal is the very definition of mediocre). Let's face it, the main reason he was even re-signed was to manage perceptions of a walk out if he plays next year we've going backwards.

We'll put up with Kommer's mediocre output because he is hard and he tackles (and after 1 season at 23 it is still flip of a coin as to whether he can get 10 possessions as a small forward and half a goal with serious question marks surrounding his disposal).

Aylett is sitting on 20 possessions and 10 tackles a game at VFL level with vastly superior running power that is probably second only to Ambrose and maybe Stanton.

How is it that the kid is not rewarded for the season he had? Why can't he get a season to play the dead weight small forward role? You don't de-list kids who've played their first season at the club the way he has (and totally shut out of the seniors despite a seriously good run of form).

Hams and Kommer spent 2014 injured. Bad luck, they're a year behind the rest of the list.
I'd say he was demoted before Kommer and Howlett simply on the principal that they are earmarked to get a game before him. God knows why, but many people on BF are still putting Kommer in their best 22 even now! To be fair it must have been line ball between Hams and Aylett, with the TRB seeing fractionally more likelihood in Hams getting a game first. It seems that they are not interested in rewarding effort, but are simply making analysis of a depth pecking order. Aylett is best in a position that we have a lot of cover for. Hams has potential x-factor a la Zach.

I really rate Aylett but I don't think it is the end of the world that he is put on the rookie list. IF he trains hard and plays well then a promotion is easy enough to achieve.. if not he sits on the rookie list for a year and then gets promoted to the Senior List at the end of next season when Fletcher and Winders move on.

The club hasn't got rid of him.. and he will train with the Seniors.. it is just semantics and list management that they have moved him 'down'. I'm sure the club will have run through it with him and make sure he understands he is a wanted player.

The reality is that I have not seen Aylett in ANY 'best 22' predictions for one reason.. he is currently NOT in our best 22. Therefore what does it matter? He is probably in the group behind the group that is 'next in' barring injury plague so range 28-34 on the list anyway..

I actually see that Aylett is being groomed to either replace Hocking as an attacking tagger or replace Stanton as the outside flanker runner. So if that is the plan then his opportunities should start to open up in 2 years time anyway..

The planets are not aligning for my boy at this stage.

Doc Reid says he's got, what was the word, a "crack" in his hamstring tendon. He definitely needed to be monstering everyone other than Ambrose on the track to this point of the year (as he would have been).

Not ******* fair.

I'd be looking for a new boy, sooner rather then later.

Only way I can see Aylett making it at AFL Level at this stage would be as a tagger. Has fantastic aerobic capacity, is fairly big bodied and was one of the leading tacklers in the VFL last season (may have been the top but not sure). Not too dissimilar to Ryan Crowley. However Hocking is a far more superior player and tagger in almost every area, and It's hard to see him getting a game.

Only way I can see Aylett making it at AFL Level at this stage would be as a tagger. Has fantastic aerobic capacity, is fairly big bodied and was one of the leading tacklers in the VFL last season (may have been the top but not sure). Not too dissimilar to Ryan Crowley. However Hocking is a far more superior player and tagger in almost every area, and It's hard to see him getting a game.
Aylett is really good in the clearance department and has a very good tank. Had the most tackles in the VFL last season and is more like Mundy in style rather than Crowley. Best comparison I can still make is more defensive type of Howlett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back