#9 - Rory Sloane

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: New Player - Rory Sloane

I would wack mine on private before the draft if i thought i was any chance. Then again i have the insight provided by bay 13 posters at the expense of poor old Jimmy Sellar.

Not that my myspace photos are suss or anything:p

Got to have at least 1 or 2 suss photos, I think it's a rule.

I think he's already 'watching'

I'm never sure what "watching" actually entails (in terms of this forum, not the stalker "watching" with which I'm quite familiar ;) ) - is it just keeping track of games/stats/etc? Because I pretty much will do that for every player :)

But when Rory inevitably succeeds as a footballer and becomes our new captain I'll count myself as the very first Crows fan to pencil it in :thumbsu:

I'm never sure what "watching" actually entails (in terms of this forum, not the stalker "watching" with which I'm quite familiar ;) ) - is it just keeping track of games/stats/etc? Because I pretty much will do that for every player :)

But when Rory inevitably succeeds as a footballer and becomes our new captain I'll count myself as the very first Crows fan to pencil it in :thumbsu:

Dear god he’s delirious……

Also, I suck utterly at Photoshop.

Don't sell yourself short! I think you did a pretty good job of editing yourself out of these photos!

sloanecmndsab2hk2.jpg

sloanecmndstabem0.jpg

Re: #31 - Rory Sloane

Article on AFC.com.au:

Young Crows shift gear

ADELAIDE has vowed to ease its newest recruits into full-scale training, but already one is putting his case forward for a heavier workload.

Last week, Phil Davis, Shaun McKernan, Rory Sloane and Tom Lee joined their teammates for Thursday’s football session, but of the quartet, only Sloane was invited to participate in the conditioning component.

Sloane, who recorded a shuttle run score of 14.5 at the 2008 NAB AFL Draft Camp, kept pace with some of the Crows elite runners in a modified version of the gruelling Goodwin run.

Super-fit defender Greg Gallman was full of praise for the lively blonde bombshell.

“We went away to Victor Harbor a couple of weeks ago for a gruelling 24-hour event. I had Rory Sloane in my team and his attitude was just amazing,” Gallman said.

“I’ve been really impressed with the way he’s attacked the drills and also his ability to work within a team. Certainly, for me, he has been one that has stood out with his attitude.”

The strongly built McKernan has also impressed his the coaches with a marked improvement in his efforts on the bike, while number-10 pick Phil Davis [shoulder reconstruction] is expected to resume competitive training after Christmas.

The first and second-year Crows, known as the ‘Crushers’ group, will attend a two-day camp in the Riverland this week before a well-earned two-week rest.

Gallman said it was important the club’s youngest players were up to speed when training resumes on January 5.

“It’s been a bit of a different start where they haven’t thrust the first-year group straight into it. The club has taken a bit of care and sort of eased them into the workload. They’ve all taken it really well, especially now after a couple of weeks, it’s starting to lift up the tempo a bit,” Gallman said.

“I’ve been talking to Shaun McKernan a bit on the bike and they’re adjusting to training pretty well. Hopefully, the break over Christmas is a time for them to work on a few things and, then, when we get back they’ll all be starting to lift the group up.

“The first and second-year players make up such a huge proportion of the group now, it’s important they don’t take a while to settle or feel too comfortable with their spot just because they’ve got two-year contracts.

“They need to be straight into it without limitations. The coaches and players will be saying, ‘We want you to drive training and drive the standard of the group’. We really want to be looking to them to take it on themselves.”

I really like what I'm hearing about this kid. Sometimes you see talented youngsters at the club and think "they have all the talent in the world, hope they can turn that into form on the footy field!" Whereas Rory seems to leave no stone unturned, he has plenty of confidence and seems to have gelled really well with the group. He seems to me to be as close to a "can't miss" prospect as you can get outside of the top few draft picks. At worst he will be a solid player I feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

along with the now delisted campbell and possibly gallman, sloane looks like the only player picked up in the last 3-4 drafts that could replace shirley in a couple of years time

along with the now delisted campbell and possibly gallman, sloane looks like the only player picked up in the last 3-4 drafts that could replace shirley in a couple of years time
I do personally think Gallman will stay because of his fitness but yes if that is the case, Sloane may then have the job which im not too fond about.

I doubt very much that Rory Sloane will become a tagger. It seems to me that people just cast the tagging role onto anyone that is not 190cm+. Rory Sloane is not a tagger. We'd be better off trying to get an average midfielder like, say, Brodie Martin or someone to become a tagger.

i just cant see who else currently on our list is gonna be doing shirelys job in 2011 besides the untried gallman (big question marks obviously) and sloane. sloanes attributes of endurance, tenacity/competitiveness, hardness and the close checking skills he used to shut down yarran in that expansive 30 seconds of youtube footage i saw indicate to me he is a chance at doing this role

we dont seem to have that many options for the tagger role and shirely surely only has 2 yrs left in him

i just cant see who else currently on our list is gonna be doing shirelys job in 2011 besides the untried gallman (big question marks obviously) and sloane. sloanes attributes of endurance, tenacity/competitiveness, hardness and the close checking skills he used to shut down yarran in that expansive 30 seconds of youtube footage i saw indicate to me he is a chance at doing this role

we dont seem to have that many options for the tagger role and shirely surely only has 2 yrs left in him

in 2007 Symes played the majority of his football as a tagger with the CDFC, he would be another option

however saying that

IMO Gallman is the man to replace Shirley

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,24950112-5014664,00.html

Rory tackles the big guns

JUST 14 days remain until Adelaide kickstarts its pre-season campaign in the Northern Territory - and the young guns are ready to fire. The urgency couldn't have been any more obvious when the Crows trained with intensity and purpose at Max Basheer Reserve yesterday morning.

With the club's legion of young bucks eager for a berth in the squad to face the Indigenous All-Stars in Darwin on February 7, any hesitation to take on the big guns went out the window.

There was no better example of this than uncapped draftee Rory Sloane tackling leadership group member Nathan van Berlo with ferocity in a willing internal trial match. Sloane, drafted with pick No. 44 from TAC Cup side Eastern Ranges, came from Victoria with a reputation for being a fierce competitor. He certainly hasn't disappointed.

"Rory Sloane has been pretty exciting for us with his raw enthusiasm," Crows coach Neil Craig said of the 182cm, 76kg midfielder. "He reminds me of a young Lleyton Hewitt with the way he goes about it. He knows what he wants to do."

Fellow blond bombshell Myke Cook - who spent his first year on the Crows list battling a hamstring injury in 2008 - has also impressed the hierarchy at West Lakes with his training attitude.

Despite playing just six games for SANFL club South Adelaide last season, the Sandringham product is suddenly in the frame for NAB Cup action.

"We don't like to fool around with our attitude," Craig said. "That goes for a Rory Sloane or a Taylor Walker in the NAB Cup to a Simon Goodwin. There's lots of things we can experiment with in terms of positioning and ball movement but we won't experiment with our competitive attitude."

This was certainly evident yesterday.

This guy will hopefully get alot of gametime in the match coming up.
Can't wait to see him play.

Im am soo pumped, im missing out on a party just to watch this :eek:

http://afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/72748/default.aspx

Sloane hoping to play round one

ADELAIDE draftee Rory Sloane has his sights set on a round one berth after making an encouraging debut against West Coast on Friday night.

Sloane, 18, has taken the transition to AFL life in his stride since arriving at West Lakes via pick No.44 in last year’s NAB AFL Draft.

He ruffled coach Neil Craig’s hair on day one and showed contempt for his older, more experienced teammates with a dominant display in the club’s internal trial.

But he conceded his first game of AFL footy was a big step up.

“I found that when you make a mistake at this level it’s very costly. The pace is a bit quicker than TAC Cup footy and a lot more skilful for sure,” Sloane said on Monday.

“There was a time on the weekend when I was running down the wing, everything was a blur and you’re trying to make a decision. You have to be aware of your surroundings and good with your decision making, but that’s the sort of thing that will come with a few more games under the belt.”

Sloane, who hails from the same U18 side as Hawthorn’s Sam Mitchell (the Eastern Ranges), is just one of a handful of players pressing for selection at West Lakes.

Patrick Dangerfield, who remains untried in this year’s pre-season competition, starred in an internal trial with SANFL club West Adelaide on the weekend.

Dangerfield had 23 possessions and rookie Chris Schmidt garnered 27 touches.

Last year’s second-round pick Shaun McKernan dominated with South Adelaide for the second week in-a-row, finishing with 3.2, five marks and 11 hit-outs.

Tony Armstrong, who was named in the 29-man-squad to tackle West Coast, was impressive with 20 disposals on the wing for North Adelaide.

Prized No.10 draft pick Phil Davis also made his return from a shoulder reconstruction in the same game.

The Crows are expected to regain Kurt Tippett (knee), Richard Douglas (hip), Brad Symes (wrist/hand), Ben Rutten (knee) and Jason Porplyzia (shoulder) over the next few weeks and Sloane said it would be tough to break into the side.

“There is a bit of competition around. There are a lot of older guys as well and so many amongst the midfield group especially. It’s a bit of a fight, but it will just come down to how well you train,” he said.

“I’ll have to see how the next few weeks go. The body has held up fine, so we’ll have to wait and see how the form is. It’s definitely an aim [to play round one].”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back