A-League R9: Sydney FC v New Zealand Knights Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Knights lasted ten minutes without conceding. 1-0, Petrovski.

Fyfe header off the post and Carney scores another tap-in at the SFS. 2-0 to the Bling.

HT Sydney FC 2-0 New Zealand Knights
[1-0] 11' S. Petrovski
[2-0] 31' D. Carney

I will be shocked if Sydney don't make it at least 4-0.

FT Sydney FC 2-0 New Zealand Knights
[1-0] 11' S. Petrovski
[2-0] 31' D. Carney

Shows what I know.

Murray said:
Only slightly confused - try cricket

:thumbsu:

Watch out lads, Murray's on the prowl...

Now, Sydney come up against Melbourne in a game which decides who goes top, gets flogged 5-0, then come around and play the bottom by a long way Knights, wins easily.

Football version of a flat track bully.

Have to say I thought New Zealand played OK in this match. They had a lot of possession, got forward a lot, kept looking to attack, showed a lot of heart & worked hard for each other. The only problems were they couldn't create a clearcut chance to save their lives, nor defend a set piece without total panic & confusion. That cost them any chance of a result. Sydney were OK but nothing special, had a good deal of chances that they didn't put away. New Zealand were unlucky not to get anything for their efforts. What did annoy me was Neil Evans talking about Sydney "going back to the top of the table". Newsflash Neil - they've never been there & wont be there come tomorrow night!

DB10 said:
FT Sydney FC 2-0 New Zealand Knights
[1-0] 11' S. Petrovski
[2-0] 31' D. Carney

Shows what I know.

I expected them to score another 2 or 3 goals but for much of the second half they were on the back foot. I don't think you can say they were happy to sit back and absorb the pressure either, they were just outplayed.

They just aren't that good. Perhaps I got sucked in by the hype surrounding the team but having watched them again I was way off the mark.

Ray Nolan said:
<snipped> What did annoy me was Neil Evans talking about Sydney "going back to the top of the table". Newsflash Neil - they've never been there & wont be there come tomorrow night!

Hell yeah...the Neil Evans-SFC circle-jerk is really starting to p*ss me off. They did nothing special tonight, they just beat a below average side.

The level of football in this comp is amazing, a real step up of 3 or 4 levels over the old NSL. The coverage and the media attention is great. The sponsors are getting involved. However the reffing is still at the same level, and the commentary is attrocious. I expect the refs to get better, as a natural result of reffing better and faster games more often. The commentary though.....please can we hire Martin Tyler ASAP! Or even get Simon Hill from SBS. Anyone but Evans, who is a pillock, and might just make a better commentator if he took the c.ock of the Blingers out of his mouth.

Highly uninspiring game.

Playing an average side, at home, and with as many clear chances gift-wrapped as we had.. I would have expected 4-0, or 5-0.

Still, 3 points is 3 points, and sometimes you have to get the wins however you can. At the moment, I think we are a team of very good players, who haven't worked out how to play like a team yet. That explains the fluffed chances, and leaky defence. We're getting most of our goals from set-plays, where the team has time to settle into a well-drilled exercise.

I can't believe Johnny B didn't get a go though, I was screaming for him to come on from about halftime. He's the size of a hobbit, but he can put 'em away....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dissapointing.

As for the Knoughts.....the sooner we get rid of this chaff and replace them with Canberra City or Townsville Rednecks the better.

Sydney FC: average team, made to look good by the hype machine and a certain D.Yorke - and even he couldn't score last night!

New Zealand Knights: not fit to be Makybe Diva's sh*t.

Worst game of the year.

Wasn't a great game - Sydney FC had it wrapped up with 2 goals in the first half hour then shut up shop and went through the motions for the last hour.
Disappointing crowd but not surprising - plenty of rain all day on Thursday and for most of Friday, and the bandwagon-jumpers disappeared after the 5-0 loss the week before.

Anyway, here's a few pics I took at the game - enjoy:
PA210042.jpg

PA210067.jpg

PA210083.jpg

I was at the game. Boring match. Sydney just did what the y had to do to win, which wasn't much. 12K crowd was a bit of a worry, but weather had been really poor leading into the game. Sydney fans would prefer sunday arvos.

Next game vs Newcastle will be a vital clash, for all teams.

I've been to a lot of Aussie Stadium games, and that crowd looks more like 5-6000 than close to 12k.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back