A-League A-League Youth (Y-League) cancelled

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously this is terrible news, meaning those players outside the best 11 + subs no longer have a comp to play in, most importantly there is no comp for youth players to develop in

Obviously this is terrible news, meaning those players outside the best 11 + subs no longer have a comp to play in, most importantly there is no comp for youth players to develop in

Depends on what comps they are replacing them with. I think youth players are best served in local NPL competitions. A local youth only elite NPL comp for each state involving A League teams and NPL clubs would be ideal.

Depends on what comps they are replacing them with. I think youth players are best served in local NPL competitions. A local youth only elite NPL comp for each state involving A League teams and NPL clubs would be ideal.
Yeah they have their state competition to play in as they have for 2 years but it does mean they miss the opportunity to play against the best of the best from other a-league sides

It's like passing the costs and problems onto other leagues

Yeah they have their state competition to play in as they have for 2 years but it does mean they miss the opportunity to play against the best of the best from other a-league sides

IMO a dedicated youth elite only competition in each state + a national Australia Cup Youth would be perfect.

Aseeming the aleague sides are playing the 1st tier of the npl youth comp it gives them alot more game time then y league has offered. You also have the youth npl and the side playing in the open npl comp (Sydney fc is under 23, not sure on the rest). They also should loan players to npl 1 clubs where possible.

Aseeming the aleague sides are playing the 1st tier of the npl youth comp it gives them alot more game time then y league has offered. You also have the youth npl and the side playing in the open npl comp (Sydney fc is under 23, not sure on the rest). They also should loan players to npl 1 clubs where possible.
I know Melbourne victory is the third tier and the other two sides are second tier I think

I think we do need a dedicates second 11 comp

It was a dogs breakfast the way the league was treated over the years, league structure, group stage, finals, no finals, full length season, short season all over the place.

Best to can it reset and figure out what is best to have. Either a national youth league or just a state based one integrated into the NPL which will reduce costs. The latter is probably the best option atm.

I know Melbourne victory is the third tier and the other two sides are second tier I think

I think we do need a dedicates second 11 comp
Yeah there is a lot of the aleague clubs that aren't playing npl1 comps. I think the problem with a dedicated seconds comp is there is a large gap between all 12 alm youth sides. In Sydney you have smurfs good enough to play finals, Macarthur fighting to stay up, ccm and wsw playing in the third tier (both winning promotion) and the Jets winning the fourth tier. That's a large gap that has to be bringed and then consistently maintained before being able to bring in that sort of competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back