A question for Tiges fans

Remove this Banner Ad

i was still thinking the club was on the improve (I remember how extraordinarily bad we were in every respect) so thought that things might improve a bit.

But finals? Not really.

Mind you, somebody did start an epic "if things fall our way, we can still make the finals" thread and it's amazing to go back and read it.

For now, just taking a deep breath of relief and basking in the warm fuzy glow. Can't wait till the replay is up on afl.com tomorrow!

I might go and read that thread, thanks.

I'm not sure if I should thank you or not, 86 pages :eek:

I'm only into the third page but there's some posters that have identified the keys games and the results needed, and they're pretty much spot on, impressive.

Well, I did say it was epic! :)

And, yes, the guys who were taking the entire thing seriously did a pretty impressive job of working out what needed to happen.

Probably that's what made the entire thing so incredible --it's like the entire AFL was following a script. Talk about the stars aligning.

Firstly, enjoy this week; after copping crap all season I think you deserve it.

Now the question:

When they lost and went 3-10 for the season, did any of you stand firm and actually back them to make the finals? Only in that week! If so, what price and how much?

I got 17 to 1 post the Saint's win at 4-10. Close family member back them at over 35's after Sydney.

It's a shame that they probably won't play a final in melbourne this year, unless they make a PF. Their crowd is damn scary (in a good way). I think two or three consecutive trips interstate wil undo them.

Might be better to play interstate to be perfectly honest. We've won 5 from 6 this year interstate only loss was at metricon first round. It's possible the crowd pressure and expectation at the MCF actually doesn't help sometimes.

After a 3 - 10 start, I was feeling totally dejected.:(

Following our 5th place finish last year, I had felt so optimistic and excited at the start of the season and all my hopes were crushed again. I wanted to play the kids and thought that the hell of the last 30 years would be never ending.

When Hardwick refused to play the kids and kept faith with the team regulars, I thought he was deluded. I never dreamt that such a turnaround was possible and even as our streak continued I was expecting to fall at the final hurdle and finish ninth. I was waiting for the ninthmond jokes to start again.

For once the Footy gods have smiled upon us but now I won't be satisfied unless we win at least one final. This is an essential step in the sides development.

I am disappointed that the game will be interstate but for now I will just enjoy the next week and dream of beating Port.

I had faith that we were going in the right direction still, and that our form was just a bump in our developmental path, and that our list was nowhere near as bad as it was showing, however I didn't think we could actually make the finals this year due to so many poor losses to inferior teams, such as the Dogs and the Demons.

There was the joke going around of "hey we just gotta win 9 straight and we'll make it :p", but I don't think anybody actually thought we'd seriously pull it off. And if they did, it would have been considered madness!

Even as the streak gained momentum, I would often be saying that it's a great effort, however we don't deserve to actually make it because a team that loses to both the Dogs AND the Demons in the same season, shouldn't deserve finals.

I still in a way stand by that, however a team that also happens to beat Sydney, Adelaide, and West Coast interstate, and Port Adelaide and Essendon as well to boot, may perhaps cancel out those losses to the Dees and Dogs.

Beating the Swans specifically, was the thing that changed my mind about deserving finals. Obviously we had to win it anyway, but the pressure of our whole season riding on it, and still getting the result, was something that previous iterations of our line-up would not have been able to handle.

I'm not saying we will beat Port next week, because they are a damn good team, however I think out of all the opposition they would have wanted to face in an Elimination Final, you'd least wanna play the Tigers, because we are handling finals-like pressure as good as any team in the competition at the moment.

To put this into perspective we have made the finals from being 16th on the ladder and at that point we were below a team that has asked for a priority pick because they think they are so bad. That's how low we got!
Great point.
And unlike the club that has asked for a priority pick, our club didn't feel sorry for ourselves and decided to get back to hard work.
Anyway, Port should win next week, but it's been a great ride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever happens from here on out, we've made history.

No team has recovered from a 3-10 season to make finals in the history of the game, so for once, the Tigers are apart of some positive history! :D

Typical bloody Richmond.

At 3-10, there was an emergency club meeting, and the order went out to Hardwick - 'Tank!'.

In the usual Tiger fashion we couldn't even do that right.

I actually claim full credit for the turn-around. I went O/S at the end of May for 4 weeks. Checked the results on the Phone. We lost them all. Came back on the 26th June - we haven't lost since then.

The sig went up after the round 14 loss to Sydney, I was shattered.

Only started believing we were a tiny chance when we did the Bombers on a friday night.

I agree it's been one hell of a ride.

After the Tommy Hafey game i was honestly disgusted in our boys, not because of talent or effort or lack of training but for the absolute lack of heart shown wearing the yellow and black jumper. I watched the games after as i all ways have no matter our postion on the ladder and all ways will as i never ever give up on the Richmond Football Club or turn my back on them, the world to me is veiwed through yellow and black eyes so dont ever try to tell me otherwise. I hoped we would make the finals and honestly ive never given up on a Richmond season where we were still a mathmatical chance no matter how many times its broken my heart. I live for this football club, they have taken me to the highest of highs and lowest of lows and you know what? Im never EVER getting off the roller coaster ride that is the yellow and black.

I was called a reverse troll on the Richmond board for keeping the faith at 3-10, but no, I wouldn't have put money on us making the eight, always entertained the idea and hoped we would salvage something out of the season to take into next season.
Felt that the rest of this season would be the making or breaking of Dimma, and a lot of players, lots of making and not much breaking so far!
Loving the ride, and glad I didn't make a dick of myself by giving up and calling for mass sackings and sacrifices, club will be far stronger long term after this year, win or lose on Sunday.

Just the general sense of entitlement among the Crows supporters I know. If only they behaved like the Port supporters I know; a little humility goes a long way.

Fair enough - that's your experience. But you probably don't know enough Port supporters. You know, like the ones who were claiming Wingard had leapfrogged Gary Ablett as best player in the comp ... and who claimed Ken Hinkley was the second coming of Jock McHale.

I knocked all my teeth out and went out to buy a Collingwood jumper but then realised there was no way I was going to have sex with my sister so I went to the dentist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back