TimeFor11

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Portland
I have been becoming increasingly frustrated with the nature of our scores in these losses. Scoring 54 points doesn't get me excited quite frankly.

Its clear our forward line has been resting on a 21 year olds shoulder in Jack Riewoldt, and then some little whipper snappers getting a few goals. There is a guy playing of our HB line Brett Deledio now I don't know it could I guess have been a failed experiment in the past but I wouldn't mind seeing us give Lids a crack at CHF and move JR back to FF.

Sure we are enjoying his run and carry of the HB line but when he kicks it is generally coming back soon after. I think the move would best be made when Connors returns. Then we will have by then some good ball users in the team with Connors and Newman of HB. Martin, Cotchin, Cuz, Foley all hopefully winning ball in the midfield.

He has matured since that 10 week stint as a mid/fwd I say give him another crack as we know he can play HB we know we aint going to be playing finals this season lets try something now while the cost isnt so high.

What if we had moved Cho to the wing in 2000?

Like it or not?

it sounds good. we have alot of young kids wanting his spot. Dea, Webberly and Connors can take the smalls with newman helping out. then we can use Deledio in the forward line and rotating through the middle.

Damien Hardwick is a man of few words (to the media anyway), but it it worth while listening to what he actually says.

He has said that the forward line will be the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place.

He has said that everything he is doing is for a long term plan.

So unless he has plans of Deledio being in the forward line for the long term, or he thinks it will help his development, I doubt it will happen.

I disagree I think when Connors comes back you keep lids at HBF so we have 2 quality ball users. You can never have enough good HBF and to have them both back there would help us out massivley.

I reckon playing Deledio off Half Back is the right move.
Polish and footy smarts are what you need here, just look at fellow #1 Draft Picks Hodge, Goddard and Gibbs. They are all integral players for their team in that position.
Edwards - too light/short, Connors - too undisciplined and tries to take hangers, Dea & Webberley - still 4/5 years off.

I reckon playing Deledio off Half Back is the right move.
Polish and footy smarts are what you need here, just look at fellow #1 Draft Picks Hodge, Goddard and Gibbs. They are all integral players for their team in that position.
Edwards - too light/short, Connors - too undisciplined and tries to take hangers, Dea & Webberley - still 4/5 years off.

Lol Webberley is 22 I think...so you don't think he will reach his peak until 27.

Small backman don't take 4-5 years mate I think you are thinking ruckman, plus both these guys already have the body for AFL.

agree with playing deledio up forward. i played tac cup with him and he generally played in the middle but one week they played him at full forward. he dominated strong hands quick off the mark as you boys know and good kick. finished the day with 5! so knows how to play the position.

Lol Webberley is 22 I think...so you don't think he will reach his peak until 27.

Small backman don't take 4-5 years mate I think you are thinking ruckman, plus both these guys already have the body for AFL.

Webberley's actually 21 with 1 AFL game under his belt. Most AFL players don't reach their peak until their mid 20's so the fact Webberley is 21 with 1 game under his belt in a struggling team definitely makes me think he won't hit his peak until 25/26.

Hence why Lids is the best option at Half Back.

I take your point about ruckman being slow to develop and that's why Angus Graham needs time, unless of course we want to delist him, go draft another teenager, wait 5 years and then give them the ass, but that's another argument altogether.

agree with playing deledio up forward. i played tac cup with him and he generally played in the middle but one week they played him at full forward. he dominated strong hands quick off the mark as you boys know and good kick. finished the day with 5! so knows how to play the position.

We know he can play Full-Forward at AFL level too, he kicked 5 against Colingwood in '07. Problem being the ball won't get down there with him further up the field and we'll be getting thrashed with no one else able to play the Goddard/Hodge style Half Back Flank position being tough and creative. Unless of course Jeromey Webberley (21, 1 game, 181cm, 78kg) or Matt Dea (18, 3 games, 186cm 83kg) can do it.

I'm a greedy prick... I want 3 Deledio's!!!!!

We have all discussed on here his perceived shortcomings but the fact is that in terms of pure overall skills, clean hands, pace etc... I reckon he is our ace up our sleeve.

Problem is we need him at half-back at the moment to clean up our 'out of defence' plays...
We also need him in the middle to deliver into the forward 50 with a wise head and with accuracy...
Personally I would love him at half forward pushing up through the middle. (Providing an option for our defenders, run & carry through the centre + provide a scoring option inside 50) I have held the belief now for a couple of years that Lids at half forward in a top 4 side would be an acknowledged AFL elite with multiple BOG's and significant Brownlow votes.

But back to our stark reality... we have no such luxury so I reckon Hardwick's plan is to use Deledio in defence for both his development as well as for the teams.

I would say as we improve and find other half-back options Lids will again spend more time closer to the centre and even up forward.

Personally I cant wait! :thumbsu:

Given where Dimma has come from, I think it is no surprise that he's asking Deledio to fill a Hodge type "quarterback" role.

I have no problem with it. Ideally we'd like to play him more in the middle (as Hodge does frequently) but I am happy with this theory.

No point playing Lids forward of the square at the moment... he'd never touch it. We need him to get it there.

I wouldn't mind seeing us give Lids a crack at CHF and move JR back to FF.
I love it. And plonk Cuz in the FP away from the rigors of the mid-field where he seems to be struggling a bit with the physical stuff. It would be an injection of much needed quality up forward especially with Lids there.

daniel connors when hes back in????

He is only halfway there. Will be back round 12 againsed the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been becoming increasingly frustrated with the nature of our scores in these losses. Scoring 54 points doesn't get me excited quite frankly.

Its clear our forward line has been resting on a 21 year olds shoulder in Jack Riewoldt, and then some little whipper snappers getting a few goals. There is a guy playing of our HB line Brett Deledio now I don't know it could I guess have been a failed experiment in the past but I wouldn't mind seeing us give Lids a crack at CHF and move JR back to FF.

Sure we are enjoying his run and carry of the HB line but when he kicks it is generally coming back soon after. I think the move would best be made when Connors returns. Then we will have by then some good ball users in the team with Connors and Newman of HB. Martin, Cotchin, Cuz, Foley all hopefully winning ball in the midfield.

He has matured since that 10 week stint as a mid/fwd I say give him another crack as we know he can play HB we know we aint going to be playing finals this season lets try something now while the cost isnt so high.

What if we had moved Cho to the wing in 2000?

Like it or not?
Everything Hardwick is doing is pointing to the future , playing Deledio up forward smacks of Wallace and is nothing but a short term solution .

Players need to practice today what you want them to do tomorrow , Deledios at times , percieved , lack of a accountability and our chronic lack of skill and class out of half back ? ;)

Everything Hardwick is doing is pointing to the future , playing Deledio up forward smacks of Wallace and is nothing but a short term solution .

Players need to practice today what you want them to do tomorrow , Deledios at times , percieved , lack of a accountability and our chronic lack of skill and class out of half back ? ;)

well said idy, I actually am beginning to think we are seeing some of Lids best work with the only sour note that he hasn't the talented teammates to finish off some of his plays, EG, recall him steaming out of HB burning up the wing for JR only to spill an elementary mark (which he'd normally swallow I might add)...but that typifies much of how things unravel and takes the gloss of the season he is having , by the way, give him his third JD trophy now FWIW

Damien Hardwick is a man of few words (to the media anyway), but it it worth while listening to what he actually says.

He has said that the forward line will be the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place.

He has said that everything he is doing is for a long term plan.

So unless he has plans of Deledio being in the forward line for the long term, or he thinks it will help his development, I doubt it will happen.

exactly!!

Long term.........it's all about the long term.

Most weeks this year we've tired out in the midfield in the last quarter because we've had 1 or 2 less quality midfielders than the opposition due to foley and cousins missing games and deledio playing a few games in defence. When Connors comes back, then lids goes back in the middle. Could we please play Tambo in defence too :cool:

Imagine if Sheeds decided to play Hird as a permanent HBF

CHF is the most important position… The names Carey, Sir Royce, Sticks, Brereton, and Brown come to mind. And all the best players (except Dermie) at the clubs. At the moment Lids is our best and is the perfect size for the modern CHF. I don’t see it as a bad “Wallace type” move, but more like our best player in the most important spot.

As I said in last weeks votes...we seem to have an abundance of players who "look better up forward" ...particularly in the minds of some posters here (you'd think we'd at least kick a few more goals with all these types) ....I don't think flooding forward is a sustainable gameplan myself....:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back