VFL Round 3 v Werribee Avalon Airport Oval Saturday 13th April 2.05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

El Nour has been ultra consistent so far this season. Maybe a maturity thing, or being part of the leadership group, whatever it is he seems to be playing team orientated football and staying focused. Defends first then attacks when he can.
I remember a night game last year against Carlton where he absolutely tore it up, thinking wow this guy can play!! Then he went missing, some undisciplined stuff snuck into his game.
Really liking what I’m seeing this year, would have to be close to leading the B&F.

If you're talking about the Clarke injury, they did all the structural tests to check his knee before allowing him to go back out and play. Hopefully it is just a meniscus injury, given the way he was walking around the bench after going into the rooms and getting changed out of his playing gear. All he had on was a heavy compression bandage rather than a full splint and they were icing the outside of his knee instead of having it wrapped completely in ice, which normally happens with a more serious issue as they look to provide stability and reduce swelling immediately.
Full ACL tear.

Ffs, that is criminal sending him back out there.

Full ACL tear.

Ffs, that is criminal sending him back out there.
Disagree, as I said he had been given a full going over and cleared to play, so went back out and was moving around fine before that kick. It's unfortunate but far from criminal.

Disagree, as I said he had been given a full going over and cleared to play, so went back out and was moving around fine before that kick. It's unfortunate but far from criminal.
Disagree. This is bordering on negligence. Medical/Physio would’ve performed all special tests of the knee including the Lachman’s test which is the test for the ACL. Lachman’s test has a 95% specificity, which essentially means you can still have done an ACL despite passing the test. When Clarke first came off, it would have been a partial thickness tear, sending him back on the field is likely to have caused a full thickness tear of the ACL. What could been a 6-8 week injury is now a full year out. You always take the conservative route with knees and medicos/physios should have ruled Clarke out when he first came off based on symptomology alone.

Disagree. This is bordering on negligence. Medical/Physio would’ve performed all special tests of the knee including the Lachman’s test which is the test for the ACL. Lachman’s test has a 95% specificity, which essentially means you can still have done an ACL despite passing the test. When Clarke first came off, it would have been a partial thickness tear, sending him back on the field is likely to have caused a full thickness tear of the ACL. What could been a 6-8 week injury is now a full year out. You always take the conservative route with knees and medicos/physios should have ruled Clarke out when he first came off based on symptomology alone.
He came off from a knock to the knee rather than an action that would suggest a possible ACL issue.

He came off from a knock to the knee rather than an action that would suggest a possible ACL issue.
A knock to the knee can cause an ACL. ACL rupture is caused by anterior translation of the tibia. That can be from a knock to the knee, landing mechanics, from a tackle etc. If the Medico team missed the mechanism of injury and didn’t even test for an ACL, then that’s even worse as that’s one of the first things you do when you test for a knee injury - you rule out the most sinister pathology first - ACL.

A knock to the knee can cause an ACL. ACL rupture is caused by anterior translation of the tibia. That can be from a knock to the knee, landing mechanics, from a tackle etc. If the Medico team missed the mechanism of injury and didn’t even test for an ACL, then that’s even worse as that’s one of the first things you do when you test for a knee injury - you rule out the most sinister pathology first - ACL.
Was at the game and watched closely as Clarke came to the bench, they did the full range of tests and he was fine. Came back out after half time with no strapping on the knee at all. He then slipped in the middle to start the 3rd quarter and came to the bench again, they did the tests again after Clarke was pointing to the outside of his knee and down the outside of his calf, then he went into the rooms and reappeared after what I would expect was more testing. He was moving relatively fine when he went back out on to the ground including changing direction and leapt when he took that mark that led to his shot on goal.

Watching the footage that has been posted on X of his kick and it seems like it could have been when he planted the foot that the knee gave way given his immediate reaction, which ties in with that sharp pain that initially happens with the ACL going. I don't believe it was incompetence or negligence from the medical staff as they clearly took time to ensure there wasn't a rupture before allowing him to go back on, but more just an unfortunate injury, which probably doesn't get questioned that much had we not had the injury crisis that we're currently dealing with, where people seem to be getting hurt in the most unusual circumstances.

Was at the game and watched closely as Clarke came to the bench, they did the full range of tests and he was fine. Came back out after half time with no strapping on the knee at all. He then slipped in the middle to start the 3rd quarter and came to the bench again, they did the tests again after Clarke was pointing to the outside of his knee and down the outside of his calf, then he went into the rooms and reappeared after what I would expect was more testing. He was moving relatively fine when he went back out on to the ground including changing direction and leapt when he took that mark that led to his shot on goal.

Watching the footage that has been posted on X of his kick and it seems like it could have been when he planted the foot that the knee gave way given his immediate reaction, which ties in with that sharp pain that initially happens with the ACL going. I don't believe it was incompetence or negligence from the medical staff as they clearly took time to ensure there wasn't a rupture before allowing him to go back on, but more just an unfortunate injury, which probably doesn't get questioned that much had we not had the injury crisis that we're currently dealing with, where people seem to be getting hurt in the most unusual circumstances.
No way know with that strapping he should have been sent out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414_104443_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414_104443_Samsung Internet.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 4

I’ve seen the strapping Clarke had when he returned to the field. That’s strapping to protect the lateral collateral ligament (LCL). That tells me his LCL was already injured - not a tear, but likely a mild strain at this point. This often puts more strain on the ACL.

You mention it appeared he had done it after kicking for goal. How many ACL ruptures have we seen in the AFL following a player landing after their kicking motion? It just doesn’t happen. I’m almost certain the pre-existing injury contributed to the ACL as the structural integrity is already compromised and the joint is weaker. Possibly avoided if Clarke isn’t sent back out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back